E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Swirl flap service HELP / Advice

06-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
deeprecon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Swirl flap service HELP / Advice

Posted in the Facebook group as well

Need a little help! I choose to service the swirl flaps. No major issues.
I might have been missing one of the manifold washer/seals (red with the build in washer) I was very careful taking the manifold off and noticed one was missing 😞. All the DIY videos point out these things are prone to go into the head on removal. I spent a couple hours cleaning and searching for the one of these guys. I have 6 of 7 counted for. I also used a magnet wand to double/triple check and make sure it didnt make it in the head. Next step run a hose in with the vacuum attachment and hope for the best. Look at the photo looks like it was never installed? This project is now on hold long term until I figure it out
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

I've dropped one and it fell into the rats nest by the glow plug module...
If you can't get it by a magnet or vacuum you might have dropped it somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 04:07 AM   #3
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

thats funny because I too had my far left one fall off. I didn't even notice until I found it on the ground the next day. Thankfully I posted on here about the two o ring/gaskets you receive with the flap delete set from WBP and learned that the ones I left on (brown) will leak and should be swapped with the blacks. So therefore I had a great reason to remove the intake manifold anyway. But I have a solid feeling it's not in the engine. Please don't take my word for it though.. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
deeprecon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I was able to complete the service, I read your post about the Orings. That saved me some headaches for sure. I ordered a scope from Amazon and verified nothing made it in the intake.

I would have not done this job without extra backup rings had I known what I know now.

I also want to add the value of a can of easy off and a vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearitself165 View Post
thats funny because I too had my far left one fall off. I didn't even notice until I found it on the ground the next day. Thankfully I posted on here about the two o ring/gaskets you receive with the flap delete set from WBP and learned that the ones I left on (brown) will leak and should be swapped with the blacks. So therefore I had a great reason to remove the intake manifold anyway. But I have a solid feeling it's not in the engine. Please don't take my word for it though.. lol
Appreciate 0