E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Race pipe and limp mode help ASAP

06-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Race pipe and limp mode help ASAP

I've been a little stressed out since its my ladys weekend off work and I started yesterday taking off the EGR cooler but got a stripped hex bolt in the valve that had me stuck until today. Well I finally got the bolt so I was able to get the race pipe on, cap both the coolant hose and the water pump, cover the turbo exhaust manifold hole and I got kinda confused what to do with the vacuum controller from the EGR cooler. I got the race pipe from WBP so it has a little plastic or rubber black cap that I thought would go on the now unused spot on the vacuum controller. Well the vacuum hose on the other port got blown off the T so I unplugged it altogether. Is this the reason my car is going into limp mode? I still have the EGR valve sensor plugged in and mounted it off to the side of the race pipe so I figured I would be fine.

I have a fz3 so I'm planning on doing a Malone tune but I'm still waiting on my ATM exhaust in the mail. If I were to pay for the emissions delete would they change the tune for free when I installed the downpipe and catback or would I have to pay again? Also im wondering what my options are until I'm able to do the tune. Will I have to buy the EGR block off plates and put the valve back on and leave it until i get the tune, or is my problem just related to the vacuum controller? ( I sure hope it is lol!) Anyway thanks for the help ahead of time.

EDIT: also I had to leave my Bluetooth OBD2 reader at home cuz she was in a rush to get to the stores before they closed, so I kinda can't help myself either rn and just check if its the same codes for the EGR valve they were before.vif possible and people can understand what im saying at all I would appreciate any advice ASAP so I can order the EGR block off plates with next day shipping.+1¹

Last edited by fearitself165; 06-12-2021 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

If you don't have a tune you need to leave the EGR electrical plugged in or "paper clip modded".
If you have any open vacuum ports there will be no turbo control and could cause limp mode. I believe limp mode can also be triggered by the lack of EGR control.
Not sure what a fz3 is but if you get the tune now, most places only charge you the upgrade costs to change tunes (and maybe a small tuning fee).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
If you don't have a tune you need to leave the EGR electrical plugged in or "paper clip modded".
If you have any open vacuum ports there will be no turbo control and could cause limp mode. I believe limp mode can also be triggered by the lack of EGR control.
Not sure what a fz3 is but if you get the tune now, most places only charge you the upgrade costs to change tunes (and maybe a small tuning fee).
Thank you so much for at least responding and trying to help! FZ3 is flashzilla v3 or the device that you use to do tuning from home with Malone tuning any other companies as well. As far as i know i now have all the vacuum hoses not leaking. I have the intake manifold off right now and i have it soaking in water and dish soap to get some of the carbon off. i have yet to start the car and drive anywhere yet in hopes i dont go into limp mode.

Yes i do have the EGR plugged in. I mounted it to the side of the race pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

If you have Flashzilla then its easy for them, they just send you a new tune. Should be just the cost difference between your current tune and the new one but best to contact Malone to find out.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen81 View Post
If you have Flashzilla then its easy for them, they just send you a new tune. Should be just the cost difference between your current tune and the new one but best to contact Malone to find out.
yes thankfully to change between the different emissions options in the tune its free to change it around. So now I'm at the point where I'm tuned with both EGR deletex and swirl flaps plugged. I just got my catback in yesterday. So now I'm just waiting for the coolest day where I have the most energy to replace this DPF for my VRSF downpipe and the SCR for my ATM straight pipe catback exhaust. Im seriously very excited! FYI when I say cool enough I mean it... It was 117 degrees outside yesterday!

Oh last but not least I was getting code P0299 or 4530 which is high pressure turbo underboost.. now is anyone aware why this occurred after I did the EGR delete or was it just a coincidence? As far as the vacuum hose situation right now in the car I've replaced the majority of them except a certain few that are behind the engine or underneath and I will take care of those when I remove the DPF. But I did break one of the vacuum nipples off of the vacuum reservoir, so I have that part ordered. Im still unsure if that is the exact problem or if its so a non-working pressure converter or vacuum controller... I shall find out soon!
Appreciate 0