E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

02-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #903
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Thanks track Rat. Has anyone had a repeat failure using the 933 or 466 HPFP that you know of ?

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The latest N54/N55 HPFP ends in "446". The "933" HPFP is the "equivalent" of the "446" with the same internals - according to BMW's official TSB. They are both re-manufacured HPFPs and either can be installed for the "recall" according to BMW. The dealer goes by your VIN number and a diagnostic process to determine what components get replaced. Most everyone gets a software upgrade also.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #904
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

That's just great. I just hope this doesn't leave me stranded again. I love the car BMW has been good to me as far as the warranty but its still a pia to deal with

Quote:
Yes some folks have reported multiple 933 HPFP failures.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #905
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I think my 933 is failing, car was seeming rough, then "check engine soon" light came on and was extremely rough with reduced power, but no limp mode. Light went out a few miles later, seemed ok, but it's back at the dealer now.
Luckily they had a Z4 s drive 35i as a loaner, usually just get a bare bones 328i.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #906
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Angry

I called the dealer today they told me part number ending in 446 was installed on my car. Some of my friends suggested putting a couple of gallons of 100 octane every so often to help with carbon buildup and lower the methanol contamination in the fuel system. Anyone here of this does it work?

Quote:
Yes some folks have reported multiple 933 HPFP failures.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #907
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

New fuel pump on my car today

after 52.000Km the classic problem (misfire, crank and a lot of error)

No Warranty
500euro
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #908
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
100 octane fuel won't do anything except empty your wallet. Octane has no impact on carbon build up or ethanol content. Just use a Top Tier fuel as recommended by BMW. The HPFP failures are not primarily due to ethanol in the fuel, as BMW would like U.S. consumers to believe.
Do you have data to back this claim? I think it is related to ethanol, but I don't have data to back it up either.

Also, at my local track, you can indeed buy 100 octane fuel without ethanol (or so they claim.) Actually, IIRC, it was sold as 99 octane, and yes it was unleaded of course. Two different fuels ~may indeed~ have different ethanol content but the same octane number, but adding ethanol does increase RON and thus (R+M)/2 must be higher too: http://www.tpub.com/content/altfuels...8/47880249.htm

Last edited by IN54NITY; 02-10-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #909
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
Do you have data to back this claim? I think it is related to ethanol
Actually I am just the opposite; I would like to see the data "proving" it is ethanol related rather than not ethanol related. It would be so kind if the data was shared by BMW NA. Got to give props to Toyota for allowing a deep investigation via two third party panels to prove their point. That shows a deep confidence in their product with an open door policy. Has anything like that happened yet for this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #910
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

Very good question.
Same Problem :

No recalls for my 2007 335i and after 52.000Km the high pressure fuel pump was failed

BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #911
Mike7680
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Monaco Blue

Me too!

No recall letter and at 52,700 the HPFP Failed and as luck would have it, it failed when my wife took the car for the first time be herself. All other goodwill impressions just went down the tubes and trust now has to be re-built.
Dealer seems to understand.....I have an appt for Saturday morning. I feel fortunate to be armed with all the info found on these pages so I know what right will look like when I see it! Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #912
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagMode335i View Post
Actually I am just the opposite; I would like to see the data "proving" it is ethanol related rather than not ethanol related. It would be so kind if the data was shared by BMW NA. Got to give props to Toyota for allowing a deep investigation via two third party panels to prove their point. That shows a deep confidence in their product with an open door policy. Has anything like that happened yet for this issue?
+1 Me too. I am only ~speculating~ that it is related to ethanol. My basis of speculation is that in the hydro-carbon world of plastics and rubber seals and O-rings and such, ethanol is a strong solvent. I believe we can all take it from there what that means to the internals of a HPFP that is operating with high pressures (duh) and high temperatures.

spec·u·late (spĕk'yə-lāt')
v., -lat·ed, -lat·ing, -lates.
v.intr.
1) To meditate on a subject; reflect.
2) To engage in a course of reasoning often based on inconclusive evidence. See synonyms at think.
3) ...
      02-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #913
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I've found that after the 3rd replacement the dealer knows you and your car and its kind of like going to the dentist to get your teethe cleaned:

Dealer: "Hey, just back for the usual?"
Me: "yep, throw it in and I'll be back by 5pm to enjoy my new fuel pump for a few more months"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #914
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
BMW has provided no proof what so ever that ethanol is the root cause of the N54/N55 HPFP failures. In fact they haven't even provided proof that they know the root cause of the N54/N55 HPFP failures which occur all over the world.
Agreed.

Quote:
The N54/N55 HPFP failures have occured in x35i vehicles which have never had a drop of ethanol in them.
I still question this. Even if so, are there enough cases to mean that ethanol doesn't make it much worse? Not by me.

Quote:
As stated in my post above: Fuel octane has no impact on carbon build-up nor does in have any bearing on the N54/N55 HPFP failures.
Agreed.

Quote:
http://www.surveymethods.com/preview...ADA6EFFFF9AAE9

You're free to believe whatever makes you happy. That does not make your beliefs true however.
This data stinks for your (or my) argument. For just one example - and I'll make Mark Twain proud: Of the approximately 10% of the people who ~claim~ they use ethanol-free gasoline, how do I know they did or did not have a failure? (Those 10% easily all fit into question 14, "did you or did you not have HPFP failure?" ~either way~.) So I say to you too: "You're free to believe whatever makes you happy. That does not make your beliefs true however."

Quote:
As LagMode335i asked, where is the transparency with BMW regarding the documented N54/N55 HPFP failure safety issues? People's lives are at risk with the HPFP failures. Toyota had four independent investigations into their Drive-by-wire systems and all U.S. Federal agencies including NASA, the NTSB and NHTSA engineers found there were no defects or other issues with Toyota's DBW nor electronic interference.

Why hasn't BMW sent letters to x35i owners telling them exactly what the root cause(s) are of the HPFP failures, when a properly engineered solution will be available, what that engineered solution consists of and when all x35i models produced worldwide will receive the free engineering solution for the N54/N55 HPFP failure safety defect?
Agreed and Amen. I'm far from happy on how BMW is handling it. I'll speculate again that it's their lawyers who are keeping them hush until all the lawsuits are over, which may be never.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 02-11-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #915
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz View Post
Very good question.
Same Problem :

No recalls for my 2007 335i and after 52.000Km the high pressure fuel pump was failed

Sorry to hear. Do you use ethanol-free fuel? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the EU (EN 228) specifies that fuels may have 5% ethanol. Is it any different in Italy? Cheers.
      02-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #916
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I read these posts every day and dread the day I actually have a problem because I know once I take my car in the first time I am screwed forever. I'm close to 16,000 miles with no problems on a May 07 build and I really don't want the dealer to touch anything, software, HPFP or anything. Why the hell have I never received a letter? I wonder what percentage of the cars have been effected. The craziest thing is there are so many manufacturers with so many turbo charged cars that do not have this problem so why can't BMW figure it out. It must be something to do with the basic design of the engine that would cost them literally hundreds of millions of dollars to fix that is making them just put bandaids on.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #917
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW wont send those letters because this is not a safety issue it is a emissions recall. Sounds much better that way,less alraming and less ....bad for publicity(sales)

Laughing at the dentist comparison, thats how it was with my dealership and the shop foreman
      02-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #918
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7680 View Post
Me too!

No recall letter and at 52,700 the HPFP Failed and as luck would have it, it failed when my wife took the car for the first time be herself. All other goodwill impressions just went down the tubes and trust now has to be re-built.
Dealer seems to understand.....I have an appt for Saturday morning. I feel fortunate to be armed with all the info found on these pages so I know what right will look like when I see it! Thanks all!
Mike, my HPFP pump failed and the car stopped over the train tracks!!! with my son,my wife.
A lot of people helped me to push the car ...
Really a fool in italy.......

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #919
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
Sorry to hear. Do you use ethanol-free fuel? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the EU (EN 228) specifies that fuels may have 5% ethanol. Is it any different in Italy? Cheers.
My car is Stock

In Italy i find a classic 95 RON :
Color : Green
Density on 15 Degree Celsius : 720Kg/m2
RON from 95
MON : 85 minimum
BENZENE: 1% (v/v) max
Aromatici: 35% (v/v) max
Olefine: 18% (v/v) max
MTBE+ETBE: 15% (v/v) max
Zolfo tot: 50 mg/kg max

I find also the 100RON Shell VPOWER
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #920
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Just when I say no other manufacturers have this problem todays paper says the US Gov't is investigating 100,000 2009 and 2010 VW TDI diesels for HPFP failurers. The good news it can't be an Ethanol issue. Soprry I don't have a link it was in todays Columbia, SC newspaper so there must be something on the web about it. I think it also said emissions but said cars have stalled and accidents have happened (sounds familiiar). It also listed the Audi A3.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #921
Mike7680
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear about the untimely place for a malfunction.
Glad all turned out ok with the family.
The ONLY bright thought is at least it happened in Italy where train work strikes can and do happen on a schedule.
Be safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #922
Mike7680
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep

Picked-up my car from the dealer.....it was (as suspected) the HPFP, but my car was only in need of a reprogramming.
HFPD checked out fine.....allegedly!
SA "reassured" me that BMW will make it right if the pump fails.
The good news is that the car really does run better after the reprogram.
At this point I am a happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #923
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I was looking around ebay for a csar and saw a buyback for sale. This is supposedlyu what BMW told the dealership that has the car:

Note: This 2008 BMW 335i Sport Coupe was reacquired from its original owner by BMW North America due to downtime associated with a warranty repair.

Problem(s) reported by original owner: "Reduced power and check engine light on."

Repairs made, if any to correct reported problem(s): "Replaced vacuum tank."

The vehicle has been thoroughly inspected and the non-conformity listed above have been corrected - Repairs made by BMW!

Important Warranty Notice from BMW of North America:

BMW has extended the warranty of the High Pressure Injection Pump (HDP) from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles whichever comes first. Details are contained in SIB B13 03 09.

I do not think I have ever heard of a buyback for a vacuum tank.
The person that bought my car was looking at a different 335 and the dealer wasnt even going to tell him it was a buyback. He found out from his loan company which told him they would not touch that car with a loan because of the title.

I am carless, I have no wheels
      02-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #924
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

The question is :
On the HDPF (mechanical pump) the problem is the electronic Valve ?
The position of HDPF (Near the engine)
Appreciate 0