E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2009 E90 335i - No sounds of any kind, head unit powers on, no Logic 7 controls

09-21-2018, 01:24 AM   #1
motionex
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

2009 E90 335i - No sounds of any kind, head unit powers on, no Logic 7 controls

Hello all. Car is having what seems to be a common issue. There are absolutely no sounds whatsoever of any kind coming from the vehicle. No door chime, key insertion indicator, or stereo. Head unit powers on, but from what I can tell, it doesn't have the Logic 7 equalizer settings, just bass, treble, fader, balance, gong, and s-vol. I did my due diligence nad searched around a bit and will definitely be getting a MOST jumper ASAP and will try to pull any codes from it, but I did have the following questions:
  • Is the head unit just simply not coded/enabled for Logic 7? If so, how do I go about enabling it for that? The head unit is a Professional although I don't know which revision.
  • How do I confirm if this is an amp issue? I will stop by a dealership to try t grab fuses and the MOST jumper, but is there a surefire way I can tell if the amp's blown beforehand?
  • Could I just get around this problem by getting an aftermarket head unit with a MOST adapter, assuming none of the Logic 7 components are bad? I was thinking about the XTrons head unit, but was just curious.

Thanks to all in advance for both reading through this and your valuable insight.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.bmwvin.com/
Check for option 677 with the vin checker= logic 7

Also to identify the amp in the 07 it will be a fairly large silver amp as opposed to the the Hi Fi which is a smaller
black amp in that year.

If the head unit is coded for logic 7 there will be equalizer settings you may have to go through a bunch of menu's to get
to it.

See page 7 in the following manual

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1169133185

Is the head unit just simply not coded/enabled for Logic 7? If so, how do I go about enabling it for that? The head unit is a Professional although I don't know which revision.
(you need coding setup then you car read the rad2 file and see what it's set up for if you don't find the equalizer in canned setting menu's
If you need to recode you have to learn the process from the coding subform and you may need a special icom cable to code most modules.

How do I confirm if this is an amp issue? I will stop by a dealership to try t grab fuses and the MOST jumper, but is there a surefire way I can tell if the amp's blown beforehand?

The most common problem with the amps is they get wet.
The second most common problem is the bluetooth or sat module goes bad.

Could I just get around this problem by getting an aftermarket head unit with a MOST adapter, assuming none of the Logic 7 components are bad? I was thinking about the XTrons head unit, but was just curious.

The trouble is you would need a 9 channel amp to power all speaker locations. And you would have to run The outputs of the head unit to the new amps.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-21-2018 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:41 AM   #3
motionex
Rep

Oh I know for sure it's Logic 7, has center speaker and rear deck speakers, but I did a VIN check just to be certain and it is indeed, S677A.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

This is a similar thread
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1534869
It has all the informational links on the most system and isolating the
problem.

The amp has status Leds
see link
http://www.bmwlogicseven.com/?p=3837

just because its powered on and the comm led is
working doesn't mean the output stage is good
I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:54 AM   #5
motionex
Rep

Thanks for that, will definitely give it thorugh read-through.

That being said, yeah I checked the headunit and determined that the EQSET function outlined in the menu cnanot be found where it's supposed to be.

Will confirm amp functionality when I have daylight to work with. Also got the MOST fiber loop coming tomorrow as well. Thanks so far for all of the input, will update tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:07 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Did somebody change the head unit ?
There is suppose to be a way to read what the Head Unit is
setup for through a Service menu that is described in the entertainment
system pdf.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447
page 24
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:12 AM   #7
motionex
Rep

Not sure if they changed or not to be honest. It does look very clean so it's fairly likely. I'll try to get confirmation on that when there's daylight. But yeah, my IT troubleshooting senses kind are kind of leading me downt his path first, but it won't hurt to confirm the amp and other modules as well since it seems like they'll go sooner or later anyways, haha.

EDIT: See below.

Last edited by motionex; 09-21-2018 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:19 AM   #8
motionex
Rep

Ok, poked around in that service menu, went to Audio section to confirm DSP settings. It confirms that the type is TopHifiRadio and it even was able to show me the volume level when I turned the knob. Revision index is 50. Something is definitely screwy at this point. Will update after cycling the MOST looper.

Last edited by motionex; 09-21-2018 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:26 AM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Could you post how you got to that menu as I could never quite
get there on mine. Although I have seen i displayed on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:30 AM   #10
motionex
Rep

I just pressed and held the lowercase "m" button between the the two seek arrows on the left side of the head unit face underneath the volume knob. I did it right after enabling power to the head unit.

But yeah, head unit seems to recognize that the configuration is Logic 7, yet no sound. Amp seems to be the single point of failure in this scenario, so thats definitely looking to be more likely now. I assume that if I bypass the amp, I should still get the seatbelt and door ajar tones right?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:58 AM   #11
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I believe only the 06 has a separate speaker for the chimes.
on most cars all the chimes come through the stereo.
I know it does in mine but its not in all models and may be
dependent on which stereo system is installed.

picture of it in this thread

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347222

There are some harnesses that allow you to still get the chimes and warnings with aftermarket head units
Connects 2 comes to mind and there a was another.

My answer to your question about the Aftermarket head unit was not exactly a head unit answer. With a most adapter
you could put in almost any head unit that fits and still run the amp . Avin makes a Most adapter. How well these work I don't know they only work off the front channels from an afermarket deck so you loose fader and the logic 7 controls
from the OEM deck is my understanding.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-21-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0