Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Is Road Force balancing the latest and greatest?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Is Road Force balancing the latest and greatest?

So I got a set of summer tires from Tire Rack a few months ago and am going to get them installed now locally. I was going to go to this one shop I've heard does a good job, but when I asked them if they do Road Force balancing, they laughed it off as old technology, and that their machine is even better, with a laser.

Is that true?

So after that, I started searching, and it turns out that Tire Rack does have a preferred installer locally (must be recent, because last year they weren't approved), that uses these machines:
  • Mounting Equipment: Corghi Artiglio Master 26
  • Balancing Equipment: Hunter GSP9700 RoadForce balancer

So I'm debating where to go...

Last edited by Lotus99; 04-23-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I was going to go to this one shop I've heard does a good job, but when I asked them if they do Road Force balancing, they laughed it off as old technology
That's because they're a bunch of morons...

Go to the "preferred" installer and get it done there. While they are balancing them, make sure to get the road force numbers for each wheel/tire assembly; that way, if you experience vibration out of one or more wheels, you'll at least have a starting point and figures to go off of.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
That's because they're a bunch of morons...

Go to the "preferred" installer and get it done there. While they are balancing them, make sure to get the road force numbers for each wheel/tire assembly; that way, if you experience vibration out of one or more wheels, you'll at least have a starting point and figures to go off of.
Yeah, if you really drive your car, are in tough with your car you may actually feel the difference between roadforce/non-roadforce balancing. Had this issue with both my last 335i and the 370Z. Roadforce= perfect smooth rolling regardless of speed, non-roadforce = various vibes and weirdness at certain speeds.

No roadforce isn't magic, but it's really handy with cars that have some feel left in them.

Also, watch them install some wheels before you go in, if you hear airguns Hammering away during install go elsewhere. If you see hand spun lugs, then taped up sockets and torque wrenches you should be good to go. This is my litmus test. Some places will use a slow gentle impact wrench for the initial hand tight for efficiency, and you can hear the difference. But if you hear NASCAR style impact speeds when installing? GTFO
      04-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. They're just trying to get the business.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Nothing wrong with Road Force Balancing at all, and I wouldn't let them deter you from going to any preferred installers. We use a Road Force Balancer here!
      04-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Also, watch them install some wheels before you go in, if you hear airguns Hammering away during install go elsewhere. If you see hand spun lugs, then taped up sockets and torque wrenches you should be good to go. This is my litmus test. Some places will use a slow gentle impact wrench for the initial hand tight for efficiency, and you can hear the difference. But if you hear NASCAR style impact speeds when installing? GTFO
Pretty much...that's the reason why I don't trust 99.9% of shops with my car anymore. I show up with the wheels in the back of my truck instead, so the chance of them screwing something up is as low as possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
jeffro535
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2019 X3M40

Turns out my dealer price matched the local tire shops when i got new rubber for the 335 and they do the road force balance. No vibe at any speed or condition and has remained that way for for awhile now. Impressive, I'm converted.
Definitely have had bad experiences with the big chains and wheel torque as well. I always check it when someone else puts the wheels on the car, and almost always I wind up re-torquing. Twice Discount has given me a car back missing a lug bolt.
Appreciate 0