E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Started the Nardo wrap

11-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #23
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Looks great man!

What were some of the trouble spots/hardest spots? I know bumpers for sure, you planning to inlay the front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #24
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

I'd never have known it was your 1st time wrapping a car. That front bumper looks tough. I see what you did there, but it looks damn good to me. How long did it take you start to finish?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #25
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Thanks for all the compliments. Below my responses.
Firstly, I did it all by myself, no buddy to help lay down the vinyl or help pull it around corners.
Yes, I plan on inlaying the bumper. Should have done it first so that the seem faces backward but I will add a sealant to protect it. I also have ducts for the brakes that I will install and probably inlay those openings with black. (like Socket did). I dropped the front about two inches and as you can see from the pictures, my driveway is really steep. I want to put a lip splitter across the front but I see it being short lived.
I did the front bumper last and it was actually not that hard. It was very rewarding because I had watched LOTS of videos and learned to heat and pull like hell to get around the corners. That helps a lot because it prevents creasing on the horizontal surfaces (shorter radius).
Number one cockup was prep and cleanliness. Just like paint, vinyl does not hide anything and worse than paint, you cant hit it with 2400 water paper. I cleaned the crap out of the car and wiped with alcohol but crap gets under the vinyl in the following ways: arm hairs, head hairs, contaminants from under rubbers (and 13 year old rubber breaking down) , wind, other panels that are not clean.
Number 2 cockup is tearing the vinyl, not by pulling but by being a dumb shit. Always mask adjacent panels!! I didn't and for example opened the boot to get better angle and because a small piece of vinyl was stuck to the quarter panel, it ripped the vinyl on the boot.
Number 3 is cutting the vinyl. too many times a cut it short while trimming. I know it sound impossible but it happens.
Finally the proof will be how well it holds up in the sun. If I have stretched too close to an edge, it will pull back. If I have left air under the vinyl, it will bubble. Stay tuned.
Total effort - probably 20 to 30 hours but it was broken up over a few weekends and evenings.
Would I do it again?
Yes but this time.
wash the car and focus on the nooks and crannies.
clay bar the car - trust me.
either improve the lighting in my garage or find somewhere else to work.
get someone to help- it would be at least 25% more efficient.
get a better blade - sharp blade with a solid blade holder is very important.
do inlays - save time, fewer cockups, don't need to look bad.
use knifeless tape a lot more
mask-off other panels first
find two full uninterrupted days to attack the project.
Appreciate 3
shannon1612.50
Socket4524.50
      11-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Firstly, I did it all by myself, no buddy to help lay down the vinyl or help pull it around corners.
Yes, I plan on inlaying the bumper. Should have done it first so that the seem faces backward but I will add a sealant to protect it. I also have ducts for the brakes that I will install and probably inlay those openings with black. (like Socket did). I dropped the front about two inches and as you can see from the pictures, my driveway is really steep. I want to put a lip splitter across the front but I see it being short lived.
I did the front bumper last and it was actually not that hard. It was very rewarding because I had watched LOTS of videos and learned to heat and pull like hell to get around the corners. That helps a lot because it prevents creasing on the horizontal surfaces (shorter radius).
Number one cockup was prep and cleanliness. Just like paint, vinyl does not hide anything and worse than paint, you cant hit it with 2400 water paper. I cleaned the crap out of the car and wiped with alcohol but crap gets under the vinyl in the following ways: arm hairs, head hairs, contaminants from under rubbers (and 13 year old rubber breaking down) , wind, other panels that are not clean.
Number 2 cockup is tearing the vinyl, not by pulling but by being a dumb shit. Always mask adjacent panels!! I didn't and for example opened the boot to get better angle and because a small piece of vinyl was stuck to the quarter panel, it ripped the vinyl on the boot.
Number 3 is cutting the vinyl. too many times a cut it short while trimming. I know it sound impossible but it happens.
Finally the proof will be how well it holds up in the sun. If I have stretched too close to an edge, it will pull back. If I have left air under the vinyl, it will bubble. Stay tuned.
Total effort - probably 20 to 30 hours but it was broken up over a few weekends and evenings.
Would I do it again?
Yes but this time.
Thanks for the follow up.

All those that you listed at the bottom are things that I definitely have planned to make sure to do when it comes the time for me to wrap mine. I know CKwraps on YT says he uses a new blade whenever he can, and I will be using knifeless tape everywhere I can. Probably this new year I'll take on the challenge.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #27
Joynt07335
Ryan Joynt
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 58 apache

Looks amazing!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #28
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

CKWraps takes a lot of time (too much really) to explain the ins and outs of wrapping. He makes it look so easy. Last night I watched him wrap a mirror in less than a minute. He has a good feel for the product. When he runs his squeegy over the vinyl I cringe, expecting him to create a massive crease, but he never does. He also has a steady hand with the blade.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #29
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CKWraps takes a lot of time (too much really) to explain the ins and outs of wrapping. He makes it look so easy. Last night I watched him wrap a mirror in less than a minute. He has a good feel for the product. When he runs his squeegy over the vinyl I cringe, expecting him to create a massive crease, but he never does. He also has a steady hand with the blade.
Yeah he is an artist with wrap no doubt. I've watched a lot of his and many others wrapping videos in preparation lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #30
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Would I do it again?
Yes but this time.
Much respect for taking this on. Always too daunting for me to have a go at, so well done mate. I like your list of hints and tips above, so great of you to share your experience and helping other avoid problems. Amazing work
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #31
E92.Dom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw e92 335i

I don't care what anyone says about Nardo it's such an awesome color. Great job man
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #32
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92.Dom View Post
I don't care what anyone says about Nardo it's such an awesome color. Great job man
Yeah. I really like it. The guys at work have dropped the usual "nice undercoat" and "why did you polish your undercoat". They drive white Ford Wildtracks. So F them.

There are so many versions of "Nardo". I used the dark grey from Avery Dennison which is a little darker than the Audi Nardo. The next step down is way too light. You can see in the photos how different the colour looks in natural light and under my garage lights.

It seems a bit lame to not go for one of the hundreds of weird or exciting colour wraps available but I am in my 50s so the M3 bumper, CLS boot, dropped suspension, modded engine is probably about as much as I can get away with I have lived in South Africa, the USA and Australia and I need to avoid being referred to by one of the many disparaging terms for one who drives a modified car. SA - Dutchman, Floorboard, Tappet Cover, Clutchplate. USA- Red Neck, Ricer, AUS - Bogan, Ricer...
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #33
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Much respect for taking this on. Always too daunting for me to have a go at, so well done mate. I like your list of hints and tips above, so great of you to share your experience and helping other avoid problems. Amazing work
Coming from you Socket, a massive compliment. It was less daunting than a DIY respray. Much the same way that I did most of the work on my house (which unlike cars, actually netted me a massive profit when I sold it), I can't help myself. It helps justify owning the tools and frankly I find it more relaxing than pulling weeds. One big differentiator is that this is a project car and I could take as long as I needed. (which is not quite true because the last push came when I got my annual insurance and license renewal and realised how high low the km/$ was.).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #34
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Looks awesome....want to do mine?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #35
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wouldn't dare. Your car is worth more than my house.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:28 AM   #36
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #37
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Nice job Aus, having wrapped and then 2 years later painted my E36, I'm not sure that the wrap was much easier, if at all

Yep ripped some wrap when I opened a door, really sucked and couldn't believe I did it...

as everyone says, looks really good, better than my first effort from what I can see

oh and yep us old blokes in modded cars, sometimes wonder if I'm ever going to grow up
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #38
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Beautiful
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:52 PM   #39
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Nice job Aus, having wrapped and then 2 years later painted my E36, I'm not sure that the wrap was much easier, if at all

Yep ripped some wrap when I opened a door, really sucked and couldn't believe I did it...

as everyone says, looks really good, better than my first effort from what I can see

oh and yep us old blokes in modded cars, sometimes wonder if I'm ever going to grow up
Hahhaah dont grow up Hops... Life is to short to wear adult diapers
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #40
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hahhaah dont grow up Hops... Life is to short to wear adult diapers
Both of my ex wives will attest to the fact that I have not grown up. You may have noticed the Yamaha XSR900 next to my car in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #41
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

OK. Left it in the sun on Sunday to see just how bad the wrap job was. Mmmmmm.
Wrap peeled back around the headlights. Will remove bumper and clean this up with overlays.
Got some bubbling next to the hinge covers on the hard-top. Wouldn't go away so I cut them and....water leaked out, lots of water. No idea how it got in there because there was lots! Problem now is that the cut edge does not have a lip to wrap around which means its going to pull back. Will need to remove the covers and do an inlay.....
Look good with the BMW badge though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
shannon1612.50
      11-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #42
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
From here it looks great
      11-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #43
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #44
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I saw an F80 in Nardo today. Almost wet my pants.

Looked like this!

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1496051
Appreciate 0