E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just MHD flashed my N54, seems kind of choppy over 3k RPM wth moderate-heavy throttle

12-28-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
n54335i02121997
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Just MHD flashed my N54, seems kind of choppy over 3k RPM wth moderate-heavy throttle

Been wanting an MHD tune for awhile, decided to pull the trigger.

Flashed it tonight, left all the settings stock, used stage 1+ which is plenty fast for me. The only setting I changed was burbles, set to 3.5k rpm and for less than 1 second since I don't want it to be obnoxious driving around town and don't feel like it's necessary to have it set for 3 seconds and every single shift.

Under 3k RPM drives smooth,

over 3k RPM with low-moderate throttle, smooth.

Getting a little heavier on the throttle, once you hit 3k it seems to burst with power, and then seems choppy, or possible just very sensitive to my slight pedal moves to back throttle off as I am not used to having the extra power (only used DCI's, JB+, and muffler delete).

Regardless of that, car drove fine, about normal, just with significantly more power.

So my ignition coils are new and warrantied under FCPEuro. Spark plugs are maybe 20k miles old, regular ones, not step colder, but have never given me any trouble.

Does the DME just need to "adjust", or is it a setting in MHD that I didn't read up on that will help with the choppiness. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it feels like the throttle is super sensitive to micro movements of my foot, but I have no idea if that's the case, but it's in the sense of it being choppy.

Or should I go back to stage 1 for now and see if that helps. Not sure where to start, the linear throttle and sensitivity may be it, so I'll probably start with dropping to regular stage 1 and going from there.

If anyone knows what I mean and how to fix it, let me know.

No misfires, car drives same as before I flashed.

I'm pretty happy with everything, and will be very satisfied if I can get it to be more smooth when giving it heavier throttle over 3k.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
E93_Savage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 73 240z , 09 335i

Most will ask for logs to see whats going on.

Plugs on tuned n54 need to be changed every 25k from what I understand. And after reading about so many ignition issues i just went straight at it and bought the BimmerLife kit. Figured im upgrading everything else why get by on stock stuff that tends to fail more frequently. I bought delphi coils the only lasted 1 month fbo 2+ e40.

Last would be the low pressure fuel pump has to stay above 60psi under boost or something. Hope someone can chime in with less vague info.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
n54335i02121997
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93_Savage View Post

Plugs on tuned n54 need to be changed every 25k from what I understand. And after reading about so many ignition issues i just went straight at it and bought the BimmerLife kit. Figured im upgrading everything else why get by on stock stuff that tends to fail more frequently. I bought delphi coils the only lasted 1 month fbo 2+ e40.

Last would be the low pressure fuel pump has to stay above 60psi under boost or something. Hope someone can chime in with less vague info.
I do appreciate the input regardless. The car drove beautifully and I could rip the piss out of it with no issues.

The simple thing I could think of would just be, like you mentioned, the spark plugs shitting out but didn't have enough power to make a difference.

You wouldn't need colder plugs on ST1+ huh?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #4
n54335i02121997
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93_Savage View Post

So here's something I forgot about.

Last time I replaced my water pump, I didn't have the intercooler pipe clips reshaped with my hand, and the chargepipes from the intercooler would seperate. And it would do the same exact thing. I replaced my water pump a few days ago but was pussy footing it since tonight.

I checked down there with a flashlight and noticed one side of the cold side CP connection was angled. When I was doing a test drive, it seemed more like a boost leak to me. So I checked down and noticed that part of the CP was in good, and the other half was coming out. Pretty sure that may be the culprit. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what happens. Makes sense since the car is smooth under low boost but when you get on it higher and more pressure comes through it'll leak out and seemingly oscillate.

I'm guessing when I first hit the throttle with the MHD tune the extra boost pressure probably knocked it out of place. For some reason I always have to use my hands to re tighten the clips for the CP/intercooler connection for it to stick.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 01:31 AM   #5
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54335i02121997 View Post
Been wanting an MHD tune for awhile, decided to pull the trigger.

Flashed it tonight, left all the settings stock, used stage 1+ which is plenty fast for me. The only setting I changed was burbles, set to 3.5k rpm and for less than 1 second since I don't want it to be obnoxious driving around town and don't feel like it's necessary to have it set for 3 seconds and every single shift.

Under 3k RPM drives smooth,

over 3k RPM with low-moderate throttle, smooth.

Getting a little heavier on the throttle, once you hit 3k it seems to burst with power, and then seems choppy, or possible just very sensitive to my slight pedal moves to back throttle off as I am not used to having the extra power (only used DCI's, JB+, and muffler delete).

Regardless of that, car drove fine, about normal, just with significantly more power.

So my ignition coils are new and warrantied under FCPEuro. Spark plugs are maybe 20k miles old, regular ones, not step colder, but have never given me any trouble.

Does the DME just need to "adjust", or is it a setting in MHD that I didn't read up on that will help with the choppiness. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it feels like the throttle is super sensitive to micro movements of my foot, but I have no idea if that's the case, but it's in the sense of it being choppy.

Or should I go back to stage 1 for now and see if that helps. Not sure where to start, the linear throttle and sensitivity may be it, so I'll probably start with dropping to regular stage 1 and going from there.

If anyone knows what I mean and how to fix it, let me know.

No misfires, car drives same as before I flashed.

I'm pretty happy with everything, and will be very satisfied if I can get it to be more smooth when giving it heavier throttle over 3k.
Stock oem Bosch Plugs are fine at least upto stage 2+

If you haven't replaced them recently, good idea to replace them and the coils with Eldor ones.

You need to post a proper 3rd gear log, and read codes, to see how the car is running.

Stage 1+ requires a FMIC upgrade as recommended by MHD, if your running it on stock intercooler, your IAT's will skyrocket and you'll loose power after a couple of pulls.

Last edited by Saif2018; 12-29-2021 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:58 AM   #6
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

MHD OTS maps are always like that. You get a surge of power at around 3k.

Ideally you want smooth predictable pedal feel at all RPM ranges and consistend power delivery. The only way of getting that is using a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
Navykiller
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is Stick

Quote:
So here's something I forgot about.

Last time I replaced my water pump, I didn't have the intercooler pipe clips reshaped with my hand, and the chargepipes from the intercooler would seperate. And it would do the same exact thing. I replaced my water pump a few days ago but was pussy footing it since tonight.

I checked down there with a flashlight and noticed one side of the cold side CP connection was angled. When I was doing a test drive, it seemed more like a boost leak to me. So I checked down and noticed that part of the CP was in good, and the other half was coming out. Pretty sure that may be the culprit. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what happens. Makes sense since the car is smooth under low boost but when you get on it higher and more pressure comes through it'll leak out and seemingly oscillate.

I'm guessing when I first hit the throttle with the MHD tune the extra boost pressure probably knocked it out of place. For some reason I always have to use my hands to re tighten the clips for the CP/intercooler connection for it to stick.
What mods do you actually have? Is it just the MHD flash? Since the coupler keeps popping out, upgrade that and the elbow, but while youre doing that, do the charge pipe too if you havent as that will probably explode soon.
2011 335is 6spd - White with Black Base : 5in VRSF IC / BMS CP Raceport BOV / Arm DP / RB Inlets / JB4 w/ MHD BEF Race / Meth cm10 / Modified CDV / BMS DCI / Stage 2 LPFP / Spec 3+ Clutch / - RB 2+ Turbos SHE LIVES \ Ew @ Comic Sans
1992 NA6 Smurf miata - pretty much dead / parting out
2005 Ex 250 ninja
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

Best thing you can do is provide a log so we can pinpoint what is failing. Your plugs should be ok if they only have 20k miles, but good to have a back-up set. OEM plugs will work fine. This issue sounds more like it could be related to boost or fueling which a datalog will show
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:00 AM   #9
n54335i02121997
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navykiller View Post
What mods do you actually have? Is it just the MHD flash? Since the coupler keeps popping out, upgrade that and the elbow, but while youre doing that, do the charge pipe too if you havent as that will probably explode soon.
Mods are light, just DCI’s and VRSF muffler delete. Mom’s getting me a charge pipe for my birthday here in a couple weeks and I’ll be buying an intercooler before spring.

I dropped it down to stage 1 for now. I ordered a new clip and a new oring as that prevented the hot side from popping out. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Runs and drives fine under 3k rpm and light throttle over 3k.

I’m a calm driver but every now and then I like the get some spirited driving in, 4-5k shifts. Just want the extra power but nothi crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #10
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

You need to follow the mod recommendations that MHD gives for each tune. If you don't have a bigger FMIC....you should be running the stage 1 maps.

Also, if it was me I would install a fresh set of plugs, make sure they are gapped at .022", and also install new coils. It seems like 90% of the issues people first run into when they start playing with tunes are caused by plugs and coils.

Also, ones you get all that done....play around with the difference versions of maps. Back when I had stock turbos, I really liked the V7 tunes for 93 fuel. When I ran logs on the V5 and then on the V9 maps...the V7 maps showed much more low end grunt and torque. The V9 maps just felt soft...and the virtual Dyno graph showed the same.

If you have e85 I'm your area.....running an E40 fuel mix and the V5 Stage 2+ E40 tune will blow your mind....the power increase over a 93 tune is insane. That's of course after you have downpipes, and possibly a stage 2 LPFP.

Have fun....just make sure to keep up with all your maintenance or you are going to have constant issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #11
n54335i02121997
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
MHD OTS maps are always like that. You get a surge of power at around 3k.

Ideally you want smooth predictable pedal feel at all RPM ranges and consistend power delivery. The only way of getting that is using a custom tune.
So... where can I research and find these custom tunes at? I would definitely like to find some options.

I had a mild boost leak which caused the oscillation. I replaced my O ring at the IC/cold side charge pipe connection and it's maintaining boost now.

That 3k burst is weird and will take a lot of getting used to, because with stock + JB+ it was smooth throughout the power band.

It feels like a big turbo lag and then it shoots off at 3k, which I'm ok with, but I do prefer just a smooth throttle cause before the tune I really liked getting up to 2.5k and giving it 50-60% throttle til 4.5k and getting a smooth, quick acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:29 PM   #12
n54335i02121997
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
You need to follow the mod recommendations that MHD gives for each tune. If you don't have a bigger FMIC....you should be running the stage 1 maps.

Also, if it was me I would install a fresh set of plugs, make sure they are gapped at .022", and also install new coils. It seems like 90% of the issues people first run into when they start playing with tunes are caused by plugs and coils.

Also, ones you get all that done....play around with the difference versions of maps. Back when I had stock turbos, I really liked the V7 tunes for 93 fuel. When I ran logs on the V5 and then on the V9 maps...the V7 maps showed much more low end grunt and torque. The V9 maps just felt soft...and the virtual Dyno graph showed the same.

If you have e85 I'm your area.....running an E40 fuel mix and the V5 Stage 2+ E40 tune will blow your mind....the power increase over a 93 tune is insane. That's of course after you have downpipes, and possibly a stage 2 LPFP.

Have fun....just make sure to keep up with all your maintenance or you are going to have constant issues.
Hey man, I have done a BUNCH of pre maintenance. I would post the list but it would be massive. New coils, maybe 15k on em (FCP warranty), and just installed plugs (FCP) tonight. Replaced both charge pipe clips and O rings. VCG, OFHG, HPFP warranty, Turbo warranty (80k miles), Fresh oil changes, brakes, tires, radiator, brake flush, water pump/tstat just done... bunch of other stuff too . 192k and runs like a champ. I am a former mechanic and am very good with preventative maintenance, but I'm new to the tuning world.

SO, going further, I had no idea the V(x) maps had different feels to them. I'm just running the V9(?) map atm, but I will check out the V7 and see what it feels like.

My car is not modded too much, so I am sticking with ST1 maps. No LPFP upgrade, stock intercooler, and charge pipe (which I am about to replace with a VRSF). Just have DCI's and VRSF exhaust.

I don't usually beat my car but it is so much fun to have that power when you need it or have a bad day and want to give it some throttle.

If you have any more informations for new tuners to MHD, I'd love to hear more about the different V# maps. Thanks

I will say that my turbos seem to be in good shape.

They were replaced 20k before I purchased the car (under warranty), and I am very good to my car, and almost all my miles were calm highway, so the actual wear on the turbos is quite low.

Also, stupid question, but are the HP estimate numbers on MHD's website CRANK or WHEEL horsepower?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 02:48 AM   #13
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey man, I have done a BUNCH of pre maintenance. I would post the list but it would be massive. New coils, maybe 15k on em (FCP warranty), and just installed plugs (FCP) tonight. Replaced both charge pipe clips and O rings. VCG, OFHG, HPFP warranty, Turbo warranty (80k miles), Fresh oil changes, brakes, tires, radiator, brake flush, water pump/tstat just done... bunch of other stuff too . 192k and runs like a champ. I am a former mechanic and am very good with preventative maintenance, but I'm new to the tuning world.

SO, going further, I had no idea the V(x) maps had different feels to them. I'm just running the V9(?) map atm, but I will check out the V7 and see what it feels like.

My car is not modded too much, so I am sticking with ST1 maps. No LPFP upgrade, stock intercooler, and charge pipe (which I am about to replace with a VRSF). Just have DCI's and VRSF exhaust.

I don't usually beat my car but it is so much fun to have that power when you need it or have a bad day and want to give it some throttle.

If you have any more informations for new tuners to MHD, I'd love to hear more about the different V# maps. Thanks

I will say that my turbos seem to be in good shape.

They were replaced 20k before I purchased the car (under warranty), and I am very good to my car, and almost all my miles were calm highway, so the actual wear on the turbos is quite low.

Also, stupid question, but are the HP estimate numbers on MHD's website CRANK or WHEEL horsepower?
Try v10 maps, they pull harder throughout the rpm range according to my but dyno lol.

MHD also say v10 maps are their best OTS maps.

The hp numbers state upto xxxhp (whp) and if I'm not mistaken that is with highest octane maps E85 and recommended supporting mods.

You can always email mhd.tuning@gmail.com to confirm.

Last edited by Saif2018; 01-28-2022 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:03 AM   #14
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So... where can I research and find these custom tunes at? I would definitely like to find some options.

I had a mild boost leak which caused the oscillation. I replaced my O ring at the IC/cold side charge pipe connection and it's maintaining boost now.

That 3k burst is weird and will take a lot of getting used to, because with stock + JB+ it was smooth throughout the power band.

It feels like a big turbo lag and then it shoots off at 3k, which I'm ok with, but I do prefer just a smooth throttle cause before the tune I really liked getting up to 2.5k and giving it 50-60% throttle til 4.5k and getting a smooth, quick acceleration.
Below are some highly rated custom tuners, there are others if you search online,

https://www.wedgeperformanceracing.com/

https://www.motivmotorsport.com/prod...tuning-bmw-n54

https://twistedtuning.com/collection...-mhd-flasher-1

OTS maps should build boost smoothly from just over 2k, there should be minimal lag if any.

Post a 3rd gear log

Last edited by Saif2018; 01-28-2022 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00