E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 2006 330D SE Dash Rattle/Noise

08-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
cbtg2006
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330D SE

Question 2006 330D SE Dash Rattle/Noise

Hello all,

Firstly, yes, I am one of those people that is driven utterly mad by rattles... I know there are others out there like me!

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now having bought a low mileage 2006 330D SE around a month ago. From day one the car has had a dash rattle that the dealer I purchased it from has attempted to fix without success.

Some facts about said rattle:
> The rattle appears to be coming from the centre of the dash towards the windscreen, initially I thought it was the instrument cluster but I've felted this to no avail.
> The rattle gets (much) worse in colder weather and in hot weather (yes this is a relative concept in the UK) it appears to vanish. This morning at 10 degrees it was terrible.
> I have removed the top plastic vent cover in the centre of the dash this made no difference
> I have lubricated door seals and flock material (in case the sound is bouncing off interior) again no difference
> I have checked door runner plastic covers (in case the sound is bouncing off interior) again no difference

I've noticed that the plastic engine cover appears to be unevenly mounted. On the left-hand side it appears to be touching the strut mount, however on the right hand side it has some obvious clearance. I wonder if this could be the cause having read this. Is this unevenness normal?

Can I refit the front engine cover as per the second picture here without taking anything else off?

Any other suggestions gratefully received!!!

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by cbtg2006; 08-10-2011 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 33I M-Sport Dec'11

Have you tried padding the plastic trim on the front pillars. A guy at work has the same issue and it seem to be coming from the centre of the dash but the dealer tracked it down as being the plastic trim on the passenger windscreen pillar
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
marshyrob
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2017 M Sport

i have the same car and my started to rattle, couldnt work out where at first but turned out it was the trim in the drivers footwell, was loose and bouncing up and down when going over uneven roads. Not sure yours is the same but worth a look. Get in the floorwell and tap around on the plastic trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
will1968
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

I had this rattle turned out to be the auto wiper senser which is in the cover around the windscreen rear view mirror had come unstuck and rattling againts the inside of the cover. Glud it back in place rattle gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
cbtg2006
Rep

Firstly thanks for the replies!

OK, so I reseated the engine cover last night. Definately wasn't fitted right. No noise this morning, but it appears to only happen when it is cooler so early days as it was pretty warm here this morning.

Next things I'll check will be:
> Drivers foot well trim
> Windscreen water sensor
> Plast trim on front pillars (is there an airbag in there I should be worried about if I start prying off trim?)

I've bought some plastic trim tools and felt so I'm armed and ready!

I've got the rear deck creak/pop to move onto after this, and also just fixed an exhaust rattle (as per here.)

Will update you guys in a couple oe days (provided its cold enough in the mornings)

Thanks again

Last edited by cbtg2006; 08-11-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
cbtg2006
Rep

OK, so no I'm stumped. The noise is 90% better so must be the engine cover but I've still got some noise left and whats left is the same noise... I've checked the engine cover and its definately fitted properly now.

One thing that did concern me when I refitted the cover was that the foam insulation underneath the cover had pretty much disintegrated. A couple of large pieces were OK but the majority of it was beyond help! It has all come away from the engine cover also. Maybe this is why I still have noise...?

So close..!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
cbtg2006
Rep

Cold weather is back, as is the rattle. No better than it ever was.

I've now tried the following all to no avail:
> removed the top plastic vent cover in the centre of the dash
> lubricated door seals and flock material
> refitted door runner plastic covers
> re-fitting engine cover
> felted demister vent on drivers side
> removing the rear view mirror trim
> ensuring all of the drivers footwell trim is fitted properly
> removed instrument cluster and felted (was alreday some felt on this)
> removed silver trim from dash and felted the clip receptors

Really at a loss now as to what on earth it could be.

If anyone has any further suggestions please let me know.
Appreciate 0