E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D Catch Can Install Completed.

09-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #155
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Lex, how about one more pic with lines goi g from brass barbs to silver can, please? It would be great if the snorkel weren't in the way for the photo too. I know I'm getting picky now.

To the rest of you, see how much room tgere is with no EGR cooler in the way. I noticed you repurposed the engine lifting eye location to mount the can. Any chance we can get a closeup of that?

Unfortunately just have assembled everything back, as was waiting for coolant bypass. And snorkel is on the place as well.
It is more than enough room considering that we have no room at all on these engines

I have used EGR top mount not the lifting eye, it is and elbow where i had to knock out thread part and just bolted what i had.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #156
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Don't follow that last paragraph lex other than you used the place where EGR cooler mounts on driver's side.

Could you enlighten me how you did your water bypass due to cooler delete? I count 3 different methods we've seen so far.
1) simple hose adapted to the black OEM connecting hoses
2) custom nipples connected stainless pipe and elbows (my way)
3) eve central's way with MP3 fittings and compression fittings
4)** I hadn't seen it yet but somebody on here was planning to block inlet and outlet instead of having a flowing bypass.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 09-02-2015 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 06:06 AM   #157
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

I have used the simplest and fastest method
I have cuted PS3 connectors leaving the plastic sleeve and a lip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #158
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

I have officially joined the club. My elbows are splitting too. Time for the silicone elbows. Simon, can you tell me the menards part you used to transition from the 1" silicone to the AN10 hose please? Lexx is doing something different as his can is unique. His arrangement with 3/4" to 1/2" barb may not pertain. The idea may be good but just different diameters needed for us that are using the 135i_vs kit.

135i_vs, enough of us are getting failures now that those elbows you use should be upgraded. No offense as I'm not asking for replacements nor refund but I only drove about 8000 miles Nov 2014 to Sep 2015 when I found a slit in the upper elbow.

I had thought there was a water leak as I was seeing a vapor coming from under the hood. I looked closely and saw it coming from the upper elbow area. I shut the car off and almost immediately the vapor trail stopped. A coolant system leak wouldn't do this. I will disassemble and show pics of the elbows.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-04-2015 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #159
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeKD
Some folks have PMd me asking for the part.
Here is a link to one of the elbows we looked at. I have not installed it yet - logistical problems and timing.

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/sil...oro-hoses.html

Will need to get a reducer as well to get it down to 1/2" for the AN10 hose.

Cheers.
Just bumping this post up for all.

This was a recommendation from the banned one.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #160
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
I have officially joined the club. My elbows are splitting too. Time for the silicone elbows. Simon, can you tell me the menards part you used to transition from the 1" silicone to the AN10 hose please? Lexx is doing something different as his can is unique. His arrangement with 3/4" to 1/2" barb may not pertain. The idea may be good but just different diameters needed for us that are using the 135i_vs kit.

135i_vs, enough of us are getting failures now that those elbows you use should be upgraded. No offense as I'm not asking for replacements nor refund but I only drove about 8000 miles Nov 2014 to Sep 2015 when I found a slit in the upper elbow.

I had thought there was a water leak as I was seeing a vapor coming from under the hood. I looked closely and saw it coming from the upper elbow area. I shut the car off and almost immediately the vapor trail stopped. A coolant system leak wouldn't do this. I will disassemble and show pics of the elbows.
Unfortunately, I have not found a suitable replacement for these elbows. That is a very high heat area. Even the BMW OEM parts degrade there. Also, the space constraint is very hard to work with.

I also have not seen any other visual solution from anyone else that will work, since it is important to make sure there is no pooling of oil. A regular silicon hose will fail much sooner there.

I was working on making nylon hoses, however, the darn guy quit the company. I also don't think there would be much more demand versus cost, since 335d is rare.

If you want to use a catch can system, the simplest solution is to replace the elbows. I believe I am close to 25,000 miles and 1.5 years and never changed my elbows. I am pushing them to see if and when they go.

There are other ways to install other catch can systems I have seen (ProVent, BMS, etc), but that requires cutting, destroying OEM parts and some even cause pooling; I prefer a clean stealthy look that does not require any modification to OEM parts.

You can use a 3/4 - 3/4 coupler. You can also use 1", but it will be very tight. These can be found at any auto store.

It would be great if someone came up with better elbows that are proven long term to heat stress, since the catch can set up seems to be doing a great job filtering the amount of oil and soot I see. I don't want to drive without one. I have it on since 57,000. Now I am 82,000+ miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #161
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This is a question for the guys using the silicon elbows as suggested by the banished one...

How have they been holding up?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #162
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just did a 6,000 mile drain. Looks like it's doing a good job filtering oil, soot, and other dirty stuff.
So far original installation for ~24k.
Fittings original also still. Roughly 18 months. Looks to be only surface cracking.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #163
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Unfortunately, I have not found a suitable replacement for these elbows. That is a very high heat area. Even the BMW OEM parts degrade there. Also, the space constraint is very hard to work with.

I also have not seen any other visual solution from anyone else that will work, since it is important to make sure there is no pooling of oil. A regular silicon hose will fail much sooner there.

I was working on making nylon hoses, however, the darn guy quit the company. I also don't think there would be much more demand versus cost, since 335d is rare.

If you want to use a catch can system, the simplest solution is to replace the elbows. I believe I am close to 25,000 miles and 1.5 years and never changed my elbows. I am pushing them to see if and when they go.

There are other ways to install other catch can systems I have seen (ProVent, BMS, etc), but that requires cutting, destroying OEM parts and some even cause pooling; I prefer a clean stealthy look that does not require any modification to OEM parts.

You can use a 3/4 - 3/4 coupler. You can also use 1", but it will be very tight. These can be found at any auto store.

It would be great if someone came up with better elbows that are proven long term to heat stress, since the catch can set up seems to be doing a great job filtering the amount of oil and soot I see. I don't want to drive without one. I have it on since 57,000. Now I am 82,000+ miles.
UPGRADE:
I purchased brass fittings. I used the upper and lower portions of the OEM ribbed hose to connect to both ends of tract. I cut the black hoses that 135i_vs kit came with. The brass elbows were connected to the upper and lower pieces mentioned directly above. Both elbows were pointed forward. The black hoses were cut to non equal lengths and connected to elbows. More elbows installed onto non equal length hoses. The elbows are pointing inboard infront of where EGR cooler used to reside. By using non equal lengths, this lets the hoses align with the inlet and outlet of catch can.

Now for the trick I learned from Lexx. The hoses run between the engine and the upward large diameter turbo inlet (originally hoses had run between air box and large diameter turbo inlet and it was a very tight fit to run the hoses there). The offset hoses allow the two to be in the same plane now (side by side) where as before they were above and below. This was causing the can to twist and not sit vertically. Hopefully the pictures will make sense with what I've written. I also tie wrapped the can to my EGR cooler water bypass pipe to make sure it stays vertical.
Attached Images

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-16-2015 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: always the spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #164
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
UPGRADE: I used the upper and lower portions of the OEM ribbed hose to connect to both ends of tract. I cut the black hoses that 135i_vs kit came with.
Looks good. I guess you cut the OEM hose so you can use the upper and lower section? I wanted to avoid damaging this hose since it is not possible to buy as a stand alone, and just in case I needed to go back to stock for warranty purposes.

Question, why did you want to relocate the can? The shorter the travel the less in pumping losses. The tilt lets the can sit near the EGR cooler inlet; no freezing in the winter.

Any vibration noises? I see you have it touching metal parts.

How's the catch can working out for you? Catching a lot of blow-by? Are you also getting the build up on the bottom of the can?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #165
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Hoses are no longer than what you sent me. I just have 90deg elbows now. I accidentally broke the ribbed hose unrelated to your kit. The two brass elbows are touching but it's pretty tight in there so they aren't slapping. The can is tie wrapped in now so can isn't making noise either. Frankly, the can stopped collecting due to the holes in the rubber elbows supplied. It collected pretty well first few months. We'll see now that orientation is corrected. I have theory that your intended area for can location is too hot and thus oil couldn't be condensed. Guys (like Mark M) that put their cans far back on driver's side get large collection in like 5000 miles driven.

My can has never had debris in it. Always just oil. I change oil often though at around 4000-4500 miles.

Climate in my area doesn't get down to freezing but maybe once a year and that is overnight if then. Car parked in garage. I'm buying replacement hose assembly 13-71-7-808-158.

You guys worried about freezing should investigate a wrapped heater with insulation. They are spiral in shape and are imbedded in a kapton film. Look up Tayco. Wattage needed would depend on amount of convection and outdoor temp designing for. Also would need a method of off/on control such as thermostat.

If this setup continues to put oil in throttle body, I will have to switch to Provent 200. I did this low dollar repair to get me going again. I had went to open vent for one week but I was seeing too much vapor/oil mist output when stopped at traffic lights. I was not wanting to call attention to myself.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-16-2015 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: poor spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #166
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda
Hoses are no longer than what you sent me. I just have 90deg elbows now. I accidentally broke the ribbed hose unrelated to your kit. The two brass elbows are touching but it's pretty tight in there so they aren't slapping. The can is tie wrapped in now so can isn't making noise either. Frankly, the can stopped collecting due to the holes in the rubber elbows supplied. It collected pretty well first few months. We'll see now that orientation is corrected. I have theory that your intended area for can location is too hot and thus oil couldn't be condensed. Guys (like Mark M) that put their cans far back on driver's side get large collection in like 5000 miles driven.

My can has never had debris in it. Always just oil. I change oil often though at around 4000-4500 miles.

Climate in my area doesn't get down to freezing but maybe once a year and that is overnight if then. Car parked in garage. I'm buying replacement hose assembly 13-71-7-808-158.

You guys worried about freezing should investigate a wrapped heater with insulation. They are spiral in shape and are imbedded in a kapton film. Look up Tayco. Wattage needed would depend on amount of convection and outdoor temp designing for. Also would need a method of off/on control such as thermostat.

If this setup continues to put oil in throttle body, I will have to switch to Provent 200. I did this low dollar repair to get me going again. I had went to open vent for one week but I was seeing too much vapor/oil mist output when stopped at traffic lights. I was not wanting to call attention to myself.
I have not looked but do you see any substantial accumulation with the EGR plugged? Sounds to me that the EGR is the worse of the 2.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #167
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

GottaBKD, not sure if you mean which is worse? EGR or throttle body? I normally just pull loosen the charge pipe off of throttle body and peek in. Last time I had throttle body off was when I hogged out EGR. My situation could be different because of the hogging out of EGR. I just want to stop the oil.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-21-2015 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #168
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Just got shipment in from Husker parts and here is that hose assembly I described earlier. I guess i have other spares (clips, harness, heater, etc.). the locking tab on the little connector that plugs in up by headlights got broke last year when i was doing other work so I may switch out the harness just to get that corrected as well. I will not use the hose for the time being as the original one has the two big ends cut with brass elbows as shown earlier. $64.68, P/N 13-71-7-808-158
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #169
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
So I finally got around to meeting up with GottaBeKD today so that we could replace my old rubber elbows with the new silicone hoses that we bought ages ago. I honestly hadn't emptied my catch can since June/2015 so I expected it to be close to full. However, it was rather empty which puzzled me. Guess this explains why:

And the final product:

Thanks again GottaBeKD.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #170
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I just had a good indy install my new 135i_vs_ catch can kit. The lower elbow was found broken the next day. Can you tell me where to find these silicone elbows?

Name:  BPC1 small.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  366.3 KB
      03-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #171
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKDZL View Post
I just had a good indy install my new 135i_vs_ catch can kit. The lower elbow was found broken the next day. Can you tell me where to find these silicone elbows?

Attachment 1376765

Link is a few posts up.
http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/silicone-hose-shop/fluoro-silicone-hoses/90-elbow-fluoro-hoses.html

To all folks reading this thread or any on catch cans. Please do yourself a favour and dont wast your time or money on this kit. I got burned and yes it left a bad taste. Look at Greek's photos. Less than 20k KMs is the life span.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #172
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
So I finally got around to meeting up with GottaBeKD today so that we could replace my old rubber elbows with the new silicone hoses that we bought ages ago. I honestly hadn't emptied my catch can since June/2015 so I expected it to be close to full. However, it was rather empty which puzzled me. Guess this explains why:

And the final product:

Thanks again GottaBeKD.

Any time buddy. You can thank the banned one for his recommendation. I just provided a warm place to work and tools

I can't believe the damage. Oh and I'd get the engine bay cleaned from all the blow by that's in there. Don't want a fire hazard when it warms up.

Pics don't show it but there was oil and crud from this.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #173
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

I had the opposite worry. Dirty air from engine bay being inhaled by turbo. That elbow would be under vacuum at varying levels depending on RPM. System seems to be collecting a little better than prior to repair.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #174
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

You are right BB. That is under vacuum and would be pulling in all sorts of unfiltered crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #175
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sucks that the elbows are not working out for some of you. I really don't understand why. Maybe it is getting damaged during installation?
I know few of you had a hard time installing them since they are on so tight. Don't know if the rubber hose was weakened or spliced when you are trying to install them.

Mine are going to hit the 2 year mark soon, still on the original elbows. I am waiting for them to fail so I can see what is going on. I have 30k miles on these original elbows, NY daily driving and weather.

Regardless, cheap and easy to replace.

I hope the silicone hoses you are using work out. However, don't be so quick to judge. It is really HOT in that area. Give it a few months and few thousand miles and hopefully the silicon hoses are holding up.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #176
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

I got these nylon elbows from the plumbing dept. at Ace Hardware. They were like a buck-fifty apiece, IIRC:

Nylon 90deg. Elbow

They needed sanded down a bit on the car side to fit. Installed with black RTV, and been fine for over 2 years.
Appreciate 0