E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Aircon issue

04-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #1
Bobbych
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series 320d 2010

Aircon issue

My car is a 2010 E90 and up to now, had no issues with the Aircon. My recollection is that when I turn on the AIRCON and have the temp set to 16 Degrees, it blows out ice cold air.

However Last weekend, on a trip in the first warm day this year, I did this, and it seemed not cold enough, but I could hear the aircon working
the next day I took it to Kiwkfit for a recharge. They had the car for over an hour, and when i returned they said it was regassed and is all working

now, it still seemed a bit not right so today I went out with my temp probe

the outside temp today was 11.5Deg

in the car, running, with AIRCON OFF, I set the temp to 16 Deg, but the best the air got out the vents was 19 Deg

on pressing the AIRCON ON, it dropped to 15 Deg, so some cooling is clearly happening, then it rose again to 16 and statyed at 16.

so my question, is the AIRCON when set to 16 meant to blow out ICE COLD, or is it meant to maintain a temp of 16? I am sure in all the previous years, when set 16, it was ICE COLD. if so, I am so Kwikfit did not do the regass

Second Q, I seemed to get NO cooling from the Driver or Pass vents, only the central vent, is that normal?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

What happens when using the MAX cooling button? That should prove if the AC has cooling capacity.

BTW, 16C should also cool below that figure.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:14 AM   #3
Bobbych
Private
Rep

I don't have a max cool button
But yes I also believe at 16 it used to be ice cold but it's not
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 03:07 AM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

What was the temperature when you last checked and found it to be cold?
If the car interior is around 16 degrees the system will do what it needs to maintain 16 which could include heating if you have the climate control like mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 06:34 AM   #5
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Don't they all have max cool button?
The other side changed from Rest to All but Max remained didn't it?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #6
Bobbych
Private
Rep

I cannot see a cool max button on mine
In the past if I wanted cold air I simy dialed 16 into the temp. The fans would then increase and cold air would blow, but now it seems to want to maintain 16 degrees and the air is not cold at all.

I'm am convinced the garage did not recharge my system and certainly didn't check it was working when they told me it was
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #7
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Can you upload a photo of your aircon controls?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 06:32 AM   #8
Bobbych
Private
Rep

Thanks, I did actually find my max button, can you believe I've never used it 😂

Anyway today I took it back to quickfit and they checked the pressure and said it was a little low but topped it up and confirmed the pressure in the system is correct

I got in the car, and ran it using the max button I know exists now. I measured the temp at the vents and it dropped to 12 degrees and stayed there. Surely it should go colder than than that? I assumed max Aircon should be around 4 degrees? So if the pressure is correct but the temp is not cold enough, what else can be the issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #9
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Personally I would not trust Kwikfit to make me a cup of tea but that's just my experience of them I am sure others have had acceptable service.
It should be lower than 12 degrees on full blast as that is about ambient temperature at the moment!
You say that it was regassed a short while ago and now they tell you the pressure in the system is a "little low" whatever that means.
What did they top it up with and why was the pressure low if it was regassed recently?
Did they pressure test the system before the regas?
Aircon gas should be measured by weight with the correct amount of lubricant and possibly leak detector dye added just sticking more of something in to increase the line pressure is not likely to be satisfactory.
At this stage I would cut my losses and take it to someone who understands aircon and get a proper pressure test done to ensure it's not leaking anywhere and if that is ok then recharge the system correctly. My guess at this point is you have a leak.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 07:06 AM   #10
Bobbych
Private
Rep

So last week I took it to kwikfit and they did the gassing and told me it worked

Clearly it didn't so I rang and they said bring it back and they will recheck. But I didn't trust that garage so agreed to take it to another branch. They put of the Aircon rig and did a recharge again. He said on initial check the pressure was a little low. I did think at the time that 1 week ago they never actually did anything and charged me so I cannot guarantee it was done , so being a little low does not mean a leak. I have had the car since 2014 and never had to charge it and it worked last summer fine

So today he drained out the system and recharged from scratch so I assume that is by weight. At the end he tested it and asked me if I thought it was cold enough. At that point I said it seems a little cooler but still not what I remember it used to be. So I took the car and he said if it is still not correct he will refund me

On the drive home I put a thermometer in the vent and it dropped rapidly to 12 but then sat between. 12 and 12.5 which is just not correct
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #11
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Nah 12 degrees is not right!
I don't know where you are in the country but here on the Norfolk coast it is only 13 degrees ambient so it sounds like it is not cooling at all.
If they offered your money back I would take it and hope that someone can recommend to you a local garage you can trust to investigate the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #12
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

You need to get them to give you the little piece of paper that provides the report from the machine - it will give you a weight of gas removed and then a weight of gas added. It is a very easy way to see what amount of gas came out - if anything. No gas 9/10 times will mean leak in the system. Some gas left and you're usually good.

Are you definitely getting an increase in revs or is the cooling fan running when you're using the Air con?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #13
Bobbych
Private
Rep

I didn't get a report, just a verbal that it was low on coolant and needed some

Can't see a rev increase but when I switch on the Aircon, I can hear the change through the vents and hear the refrigerant type noise. If the compressor was not working then it would not do that but I will check to see that it is running, i.e clutch engaged and the state of the fan
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:24 PM   #14
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Maybe your aircon is fine but your blending flap is defective.

Speaking as a garage owner I get heartily fed up with

"it worked last year and now it doesn't"
Therefore
"you didn't provide the service you claimed to"

I'm not even a fan of kwik fit, they're my competition as an independent, but you should probably investigate properly before going straight to "I don't trust that branch".
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:29 PM   #15
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

I don't know how many of you guys have actually probed multiple cars with a thermometer but 10 ish degrees isn't shabby at all.
Typically on a 25 degree day, a 10 degree breeze feels pretty cool.
There is a limit to how low it is worth going at the evaporator. Ice starts to form on the evaporator if the system is driven too hard, this completely undermines the ability to carry out the heat exchange.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 03:29 AM   #16
Bobbych
Private
Rep

Hi and thanks both for your replies and I will look to answer both

First with regards to the garage, I did not go into detail but on the day, I left the car with them for an hour and on my return what I witnessed did not fill me with confidence that the work was even attempted but I didn't go into all that and that is why I said negative things about them and why I wanted it redone

As for the blending flap, I cannot confirm that but it all ses and sounds working

On selecting Aircon, I can hear the system switching through the vent and I can hear the usual refrigerator type noise coming through the vent . So the Aircon is on and working. If I adjust the temp either with the main temp selector or using the hot and cold dial on the vent it does change temp up and down so it all seems to work as it should

The issue is when on full cold on both settings it does not get cold enough

As for the expected temp, you may be correct but again i. Only comparing to the prevtyeads I have own this and whenever I put Aircon on, no matter of the current temp, the air from the vents was very cold. Almost to the point where I wod turn it off after a while as it was too cold

Now it doesn't seem cold enough.

On a run out on Saturday the outside temp was 14 and it was warm in the cabin so I put on the Aircon. The air blown out was warm. I turned off the Aircon and the air actually got colder without Aircon than with it which led me to believe there was an issue which I still believe there is
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 05:01 AM   #17
Bobbych
Private
Rep

What I will do though following the advice is get a copy of inpa and check the flaps for operation
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #18
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

There is so much more to it than just filling the gas, at least when things seem to not work correctly. The filling machines all have gauges built in so that a tech can see the high and low side pressures with the system running. A visit to an independent garage who will take the time to check it out will be handy
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 11:31 AM   #19
Bobbych
Private
Rep

I always thought there may be an issue with the car, but I needed to at least make sure the gas levels were correct, but the first visit to kwikfit did not fill me with confidence that they even tried, long story , too long for here.
So that was main reason for asking on here , to find out if there was another reason I may be getting warm air
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 05:26 AM   #20
Bobbych
Private
Rep

ok, some more help needed on this

about 3 months ago, I fitted an Android Carplay Screen, which meat removing the CIC unit, and the Climate Panel

now , I never tried the aircon this year prior to that fitment, but it was just after I noticed the issue

so today I removed the panel and it had 2 connections as per the pictures, one Grey and one Black Lock Connectors

The Panel however has another connection for a flat connection, which on a stock image i found, has a ribbon cable.

Question is, should I have all 3? I can only find 2 connections, no sign of the flat cable unless I accidentally stowed it somewhere I cannot see

if I am supposed to have that connection, does that effect Aircon Temp?

Your help is appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 08:14 AM   #21
Bobbych
Private
Rep

i figured this out, I do not have any buttons on the lower panel, so I assume I have no need for the ribbon cable, so my Aircon issues persist, no cold air.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 06:55 AM   #22
Bobbych
Private
Rep

Final comment on this

I yesterday sent my car to a local independent and asked them to find the issue with my Aircon as the recent weather is not great with no Aircon. Fully expected to have a bill for replacing pipes etc

However 1 hour later I received a call to say my car was ready and all it took was a regards. I was amazed . On collection the Aircon was indeed cold.

Now given that both times I went to kwikfit for the regass, both times I drove away with no cold air I had to assume there was a leak or other issue. It turns out they simply did not do it correctly it seems.

My independent did say, on until connection, some gas came out but not what should be,
Appreciate 0