E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Carmax and a tune

11-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: G80

Carmax and a tune

HI Guys I purchased my car from Carmax and I have Maxcare up ro 100,000 miles. I am planning on getting a tune (either Jb4 or Cobb) and was wondering if anybody here with a Tune had any experience with Carmax warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
I'm not sure how CarMax is with their warranties & you might want to read up on it because even just swapping out the intake might void their warranty.

If you're forced to stay 100% stock under the warranty agreement, you'll prob benefit more from the JB4 & running E85 blends. If you can mod (Intake, DPs, etc) & the tune would be the only concern, the COBB would make much more sense & offer greater performance gains.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
I'm not sure how CarMax is with their warranties & you might want to read up on it because even just swapping out the intake might void their warranty.

If you're forced to stay 100% stock under the warranty agreement, you'll prob benefit more from the JB4 & running E85 blends. If you can mod (Intake, DPs, etc) & the tune would be the only concern, the COBB would make much more sense & offer greater performance gains.
Does COBB actually have greater gains than the piggyback's now? Where have I been... Hahaha is it due to the pro-tunes?
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Gaswise LA sucks! I havent seen any gasstations here in LA offering E85 or even 93. I'm more into JB4 with DCI on map 1 only so I dont know if this is a dumb question but is it possible to take both the tune and the DCI off and take it to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
Gaswise LA sucks! I havent seen any gasstations here in LA offering E85 or even 93. I'm more into JB4 with DCI on map 1 only so I dont know if this is a dumb question but is it possible to take both the tune and the DCI off and take it to the dealer?
Yes it is possible. Idk about DCI install but it looks pretty simple. Uninstalling the JB4 takes 15 minutes once you get used to it and do it a few times
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Does COBB actually have greater gains than the piggyback's now? Where have I been... Hahaha is it due to the pro-tunes?

COBB > Piggys

The COBB Shelf Maps against a JB4/Vishnu is very accurate since the COBB maps are kept intentionally very conservative (otherwise people wouldn't be seeing 40-50 HP gains from their ProTunes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
I mean if you don't mind uninstalling/reinstalling everytime you have to get service, I'd say go for it. You'll be under the hood anyhow to remove the JB4, so removing the DCI won't be that much more of a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Do you guys think Carmax is more strict warranties than BMW dealers?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
COBB > Piggys

The COBB Shelf Maps against a JB4/Vishnu is very accurate since the COBB maps are kept intentionally very conservative (otherwise people wouldn't be seeing 40-50 HP gains from their ProTunes).

I mean if you don't mind uninstalling/reinstalling everytime you have to get service, I'd say go for it. You'll be under the hood anyhow to remove the JB4, so removing the DCI won't be that much more of a hassle.
Wow definitely surprising even though the Cobb car has a fmic. Looks like I might consider switching although i'm nowhere near PTF but i guess i could do an e-tune. I'm prob dynoing my current setup this spring or whenever E85 returns back to normal then i'll consider switching and dynoing that setup to see what happens. Up until now i've always though only reason to go with COBB is if you want easier install
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
calvinwu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
1991 Nissan  [9.00]
2006 BMW E90 330i  [8.00]
Sorry...misunderstanding with your post...My bad =="

2006 Lamborghini Gallado / 1997 E36 328 coupe / 1991 Z32 300zxTT Stage XII
1996 Mustang Cobra Sold
1994 E31 850csi Sold

Last edited by calvinwu; 11-25-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinwu
I bought my E90 from CarMax month ago too...
In my opinion, you might not really need it though~~
need what ?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Wow definitely surprising even though the Cobb car has a fmic. Looks like I might consider switching although i'm nowhere near PTF but i guess i could do an e-tune. I'm prob dynoing my current setup this spring or whenever E85 returns back to normal then i'll consider switching and dynoing that setup to see what happens. Up until now i've always though only reason to go with COBB is if you want easier install
PTF has been doing great & I haven't heard a single person have a bad or disappointed review from them yet. COBB's also been growing & from the sound of things, are on the home stretch with releasing an N55 Tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

I bought mine through carmax and have bought maxcare, I just installed JB4 and DCI anyways. Easy to take out if you have to do warrantee work. Plus you can just take it to the dealership for your warrantee work, and just ask em to not mention the mods, and buy your SA a 12 pack
      11-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankster
I bought mine through carmax and have bought maxcare, I just installed JB4 and DCI anyways. Easy to take out if you have to do warrantee work. Plus you can just take it to the dealership for your warrantee work, and just ask em to not mention the mods, and buy your SA a 12 pack
I'm interested in getting the same exact combo as u did. What map are you on? Any problems so far? You feel any difference in power?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep

Im running map 5. And whoah boy do I notice power... As a weird form of comparison, I used to set my Iphone in the dash shelf type place where iDrive is. Before JB4 on WOT it wouldnt even budge (this is with a rubber case). Now, I cant set it there anymore because on WOT it ALWAYS slides off. With DTC off i can break loose in 2nd gear where it used to be impossible to do even in 1st. And 4 wheel drifting is a blast, bad for the car, but sometimes I cant resist.
So far no problems knock on wood. But if there are problems I just take a pic with my phone of the dash lighting up, take out the tune (which clears codes) and take to dealership. When they ask where the code is I say i have a OBDII reader and I cleared em and am trying to get them to reappear in an attempt to self diagnose the car. They are none the wiser.

Couple sidenotes: When you DO get JB4, when the engine is cold, it won't boost above about 8PSI (kinda confused me at first, thought something was wrong with the car, but turns out it wasnt warm yet >160)
Also, the DCI is kinda scary in that you definitely hear the air whooshing in your engine and you can definitely hear the oscilation in the amount of air taken in. Also scares me when things arent smooth and consistent. Im just gonna have to get over it.

Questions, concerns, complaints, painful revelations?
      11-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Just remove the piggy back or Cobb before you go in for warranty work. I doubt they have the capability of reading how often your car is flashed. Interesting note...GIAC told me my car was flashed twice before they flashed my car. They doubt the dealer (and I assume Carmax) has this capability. At least I was never told by my dealer the car has been flashed, even when I had my 135 with Cobb.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankster View Post
Im running map 5. And whoah boy do I notice power... As a weird form of comparison, I used to set my Iphone in the dash shelf type place where iDrive is. Before JB4 on WOT it wouldnt even budge (this is with a rubber case). Now, I cant set it there anymore because on WOT it ALWAYS slides off. With DTC off i can break loose in 2nd gear where it used to be impossible to do even in 1st. And 4 wheel drifting is a blast, bad for the car, but sometimes I cant resist.
So far no problems knock on wood. But if there are problems I just take a pic with my phone of the dash lighting up, take out the tune (which clears codes) and take to dealership. When they ask where the code is I say i have a OBDII reader and I cleared em and am trying to get them to reappear in an attempt to self diagnose the car. They are none the wiser.

Couple sidenotes: When you DO get JB4, when the engine is cold, it won't boost above about 8PSI (kinda confused me at first, thought something was wrong with the car, but turns out it wasnt warm yet >160)
Also, the DCI is kinda scary in that you definitely hear the air whooshing in your engine and you can definitely hear the oscilation in the amount of air taken in. Also scares me when things arent smooth and consistent. Im just gonna have to get over it.

Questions, concerns, complaints, painful revelations?
+1 with everything he said. Even AWD I can get the car to easily slide when its dry and especially when its wet. Even though it's good for the engine I hate the low boost until oil temp is higher than 160. It makes taking friends out for a test drive such a pain in the ass
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #17
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 with everything he said. Even AWD I can get the car to easily slide when its dry and especially when its wet. Even though it's good for the engine I hate the low boost until oil temp is higher than 160. It makes taking friends out for a test drive such a pain in the ass
Definitely understand your predicament, just the other night I experienced that, and 8 minutes into driving softly and all my friends crackin up because they thought I was full of it my blinkers go off signaling my engine has reached optimal heat and wham!

Definitely like what you have done with your car. Something I aspire to get done in my copious spare time... hows the TC holdin up?
      11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankster View Post
Definitely understand your predicament, just the other night I experienced that, and 8 minutes into driving softly and all my friends crackin up because they thought I was full of it my blinkers go off signaling my engine has reached optimal heat and wham!

Definitely like what you have done with your car. Something I aspire to get done in my copious spare time... hows the TC holdin up?
Yea it takes mine anywhere form 8-10 minutes depending on how cold it is. I gotta turn on the JB4 blinkers when warm whenever I get a chance cause I have them off now and I always have to keep an eye on the oil gauge.

Thanks, hopefully gonna order a few more cosmetic mods today. As far as performance I think I might be done other than adding an exhaust although that doesn't really count. So far TC and clutch are holding up perfectly. I don't do any hard launches and rarely do moderate launches. I am the second owner and I think the car may have a aftermarket clutch although idk... It was one of the stiffest clutch's i've ever driven and it sometimes engages very harsh. I'm also surprised its not slipping considering the car has 52k miles and the power it's probably making... I'm hoping to hop on a dyno sometime soon in the next few weeknds.
Appreciate 0