E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Australia Classifieds Section > FS: fully ball-jointed E9x M3 control arms

05-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
FS: fully ball-jointed E9x M3 control arms

As per the title, I am selling a set of E9x M3 control arms, these aren't standard M3 control arms, these have additional ball-joints pressed in them. Read below for further details.

Contact no.: 0435 378 857

Price: Mentioned below in the respective section for each arms set.

M3 rear control arms are ball-jointed on one side only, the outboard joint, (except for M3 toe-arms are ball-jointed on both sides). Non-M control arms have rubber bushings on both ends (except for the upper camber arm, which has a ball-joint on one end only). M3 arms are forged aluminium (extremely light) vs folded sheet metal for non-M (heavier, but cheap for mass production).

We manually pressed in ball-joints instead of the rubber in the M3 arms, to make fully ball-joined M3 arms.

The idea is, when you corner very hard, the whole car leans on the control arms, and the rubber bushings at the end of the control arms deform, causing alignment and geometry changes at the limit.

Overall the car feels nervous, and unsettled. If you look at rubber bushings, they're just made of a rubber mold with an outer metal shell usually, and an inner metal tube where the control arms bolt get threaded through.

Some have air pockets or pockets filled with hydraulic fluid like the cross section below. The caster bushings on non-M E8x/9x 1er and 3er are fluid filled.

If you look at ball-joints cross section, it's a completely solid joint, with zero play!!! It doesn't matter how hard you lean on them mid-corner, you will not be getting any alignment or suspension geometry changes. They transform the car and make it feel very predictable at the limit

Rubber doesn't have a linear spring rate, so it'll compress easily up to a certain point and then gets quite hard to compress it anymore, they're inconsistent-feeling. Ball-joints are nothing like that, they're solid, they don't budge from their place, they don't compress, they feel super consistent / confidence-inspiring at the limit, but they're also a fully articulating joint to allow the control arm to move freely within the geometrical axis it was designed to move in.

Based on all what I wrote above, heavy cars that have wide tyres will be the most disadvantaged with rubber bushings. Cause wide tyres will provide a ton of grip and the heavy weight of the body means that the control arms bushings will get squished in between the heavy weight of the car and high grip provided by the tyres. I've just described the E8x/9x platform basically

All the fastest E92 M3's around the Nürburgring have fully ball-jointed arms (Google Team Schirmer M3, sub 7min BTG time , and it's still a road registered car). Even Porsche advertises that they've fitted their 991 911 GT3 RS models with additional ball-joints compared to the standard 911 cars, ball-joints are definitely the way to go for any true sports car .

*Screenshots taken directly out of Porsche brochure off their website, this is for the 991 911 GT3 RS, notice how it says that both front and rear axles are fully ball-jointed

Pictures and price of the fully ball-jointed front M3 arms I am selling:

*arms were bought brand new, and ball-joints were bought separately brand new, and then I got the ball-joints pressed in. They have about 25,000km on them.

New arms were $550, ball-joints were $480, I paid $50 to get them pressed in, total is $1080. Today with the weak AUD, you're looking at $1,300 to build a set of arms like this.I am asking $800 for the front arms with the ball-joints

Pictures and price of the fully ball-jointed rear M3 arms I am selling:

*Rear arms have less than 4,000km on them they were installed in October 2019 on the car, the ball-joints pressed-in are genuine Lemforder ball-joints, made in Germany. No cheap Taiwanese/Chinese components.

Rear M3 arms are $650, ball-joints pressed-in plus specially machined tapered washers were $300, total for rear arms is $950. I am asking $750 for the rear arms set

Last edited by Pete.J; 05-05-2020 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Sold! Thanks for looking

Last edited by Pete.J; 05-19-2020 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0