E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > K&P S38 N52 Stainless Steel Oil Filter UOA

11-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #23
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H_ View Post
I bought one of these filters and am wondering if there is any additional information you could share.

My concern is that the filter appears to filter well but may clog easily and with no bypass, this could lead to oil starvation.

Did you continue to use the filter or did you return to using a conventional name brand one?
I am still planning to run the K&P filter as it does seem to filter very well from my UOA results. I have not gotten around to installing the new filter that K&P has sent me, but I do plan to periodically check and clean the filter as they have requested for testing purposes every few thousand miles or so.

I would think BMW would have some sort of oil bypass or at least some code would be thrown if there were a problem...but I'm not all that familiar with the inner workings of the N52.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 04:12 PM   #24
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Still been running strong on this thing for the last 4 years / 25k miles and have not had any further issues with the cleats on it collapsing. K&P had suggested that I clean it a bit more frequently for a few cycles, so I was pulling it every couple thousand miles to blast it off for about a year or so. It did appear to get cleaner every time I checked it, and now I run 10k oil change cycles with no problems.

Perhaps adds an extra 15 mins or so to my oil changes to blast it out with my 3d printed cleaning fixture and some brake cleaner, but I haven't needed to buy anything other than motor oil for years now after I stocked up on a bunch of o-rings.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf UOA 08 328XI 20230614.pdf (20.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Yangorang; 06-14-2023 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0