E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine cylinder misfiring

12-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i Sedan(Sports+ipod)

Garage List
Engine cylinder misfiring

I own a 2008 335i sedan with 100k miles. Spark plugs were replaced last December.

My Valve cover gasket had been leaking for a few months, so I took the car to an indy to get the valve cover gasket replaced along with the oil change. The car also showed that servicing was required in 1000 miles.

They scanned the code and it showed Thermostat open and Cylinder 6 misfiring. So I got the valve cover gasket replaced, oil changed and thermostat replaced. Since I replaced the spark plugs less than a year ago, they swapped the ignition coil #6 with #1. He then took it for a short ride and didn't notice any error code show up. This was done on Monday. The ride back home was smooth with no issues. The mechanic also recommended getting the walnut blast done since it's over 100k and the build up could also cause the cylinder misfire.

This morning when starting my car I felt the car engine vibrate a bit specially when I turned the wheel all the way to the left, but then it was smooth once I started driving it. The service engine in 7000 miles was also being displayed.

Fortunately a colleague had a Actron ODB2 scanner and we used it to scan the car. The code shown was P0304 for cylinder 4 misfire. This was weird since originally #6 was misfiring and that was swapped for #1.

Also for the past few months I have seen the car stumble a bit when I start to drive and the engine is cold, but then is smooth after a few mins.

What would you recommend I do? The spark plugs were replaced last December.

1. I can replace all the coils and see if the issue comes back

2. Alternate is do get the walnut blast done. The mechanic also suggested changing the charge pipe if doing the walnut blast since the original pipe is plastic and could break and the replacement is metal. Is replacing the pipe really necessary?
Appreciate 0