E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need new shocks, but what ones?

09-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Need new shocks, but what ones?

So I need new shocks in the front of my 2007 e90 323i ... When I use the decoder it says I have S226A Sports Suspension Settings (it looks lower then my mom's e90 325i but it could be the rims) what would you guys recommend? I was looking at Bilstein b4s but could I use that for the stock suspension if it has the sport suspension? It wouldn't raise the Carnaby would it?

Also, I have the opportunity to get H&R sport springs to lower the car, what shocks would you recommend for those, because people say to get the Bilstein B8s but that's a huuuge price jump (unless you guys have a cheap place to get them.

This is a daily driver and I absolutely love the car and will be keeping it for another 8 years haha (bought it only a year old and still love driving it as a daily)

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

B4s for a new car ride. B8s for much stiffer ride.

They make b4 for sport and non sport applications.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
I ran H&R lowering springs and paired them up with koni yellow shocks
Great combination and will be the cheapest option if you already have the springs.

Here is a pic of the car so you can get an idea of the drop you can expect
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Great combination and will be the cheapest option if you already have the springs.

Koni Oranges are cheaper and the only difference is they are non adjustable versions of the yellow.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
So I need new shocks in the front of my 2007 e90 323i ... When I use the decoder it says I have S226A Sports Suspension Settings (it looks lower then my mom's e90 325i but it could be the rims) what would you guys recommend? I was looking at Bilstein b4s but could I use that for the stock suspension if it has the sport suspension? It wouldn't raise the Carnaby would it?

Also, I have the opportunity to get H&R sport springs to lower the car, what shocks would you recommend for those, because people say to get the Bilstein B8s but that's a huuuge price jump (unless you guys have a cheap place to get them.

This is a daily driver and I absolutely love the car and will be keeping it for another 8 years haha (bought it only a year old and still love driving it as a daily)

Thanks guys
B4 has a sport edition
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post

Koni Oranges are cheaper and the only difference is they are non adjustable versions of the yellow.
Both Koni Orange (STRT) and Yellow (Sport) are adjustable. Yellows at full soft are about as firm as Oranges at full firm.

Both are adjustable for rebound only. Only a few (TCKline) versions are adjustable for compression and rebound.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Both Koni Orange (STRT) and Yellow (Sport) are adjustable. Yellows at full soft are about as firm as Oranges at full firm.

Both are adjustable for rebound only. Only a few (TCKline) versions are adjustable for compression and rebound.
Thanks for clearing that up. I am not sure what my oranges are set at but I wouldn't want anything more firm than that. It already shakes the cabin over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
13thTrigger
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 323i

Hi guys

I'm a new member and I can't post yet

My front struts are due to be replaced soon.

I'm looking into getting B4 or B6 I'm not really looking into something fancy I just want to ride properly for daily driving

Also whatelse do I need to get besides the struts

Thanks and sorry if I had to post this here
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
code85
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is cab

I was in the same boat for the past month when shopping for B4's, I went to the canadian and american site to compare part# and they are both different. American site gave me sport application whereas Canadian gave me standard application. I emailed both sites and they gave me both different answers.

I'm still looking for a front set but I would suggest make sure you get the part numbers correct. Compare it with multiple sites before purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thTrigger View Post
Hi guys

I'm a new member and I can't post yet

My front struts are due to be replaced soon.

I'm looking into getting B4 or B6 I'm not really looking into something fancy I just want to ride properly for daily driving

Also whatelse do I need to get besides the struts

Thanks and sorry if I had to post this here
I would recommend b4s if you want stock-like ride and inexpensive. Jump on realoem and order all the miscellaneous parts up and down the shafts, including spring perches since you're already in there for the labor. Car will feel like new again.

But, if you can swing it, a kit with upgraded shocks and springs would only be a few hundred more while you're at it and is totally worth it IMO
      09-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by code85 View Post
I was in the same boat for the past month when shopping for B4's, I went to the canadian and american site to compare part# and they are both different. American site gave me sport application whereas Canadian gave me standard application. I emailed both sites and they gave me both different answers.

I'm still looking for a front set but I would suggest make sure you get the part numbers correct. Compare it with multiple sites before purchasing.
Oh boy, so did you buy it from Canada? Everywhere I look I'm still seeing B4's for $200 cdn each which seems a bit high.

B
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
13thTrigger
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
I would recommend b4s if you want stock-like ride and inexpensive. Jump on realoem and order all the miscellaneous parts up and down the shafts, including spring perches since you're already in there for the labor. Car will feel like new again.

But, if you can swing it, a kit with upgraded shocks and springs would only be a few hundred more while you're at it and is totally worth it IMO
Honestly I am leaning more towards B6 on all corners but can I just keep the old springs?

Its going to be the 1st time I'm doing this can someone give me a list whatelse I should replace

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2018, 12:25 AM   #13
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

I would defiantly change the top strut mount.
Before I did the work I raised my car and checked the bump stops and boots. Mine looked good so I did not change them.
The top strut mount was smashed down about 1/4 inch, which raised my car a little which stopped my tire from hitting the fender. I'm on stock sport suspension 95k miles.
I went with Koni yellows and am happy with them. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
code85
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
Oh boy, so did you buy it from Canada? Everywhere I look I'm still seeing B4's for $200 cdn each which seems a bit high.

B
I bought everything from Rockauto, it's american but even with shipping it was significantly cheaper. just remember to check the part# to make sure you got the one you want (sport or standard)
Appreciate 0