E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Mid and sub bass mixed?

06-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Mid and sub bass mixed?

Have been following the threads regarding replacing the underseat 8" woofers in the hifi and top hifo cars. Looks like the general consensus is if your are using a trunk subwoofer, then go with a good mid bass like the Morel, Kicker or Jehnert, and if not go with the SWS8 as your sub.

Can we have both?? Get good sub and mid bass from the underseats by using one 8" as a mid bass and one as a sub, say with an SWS under one seat and a Kicker under the other. Setting the crossovers appropriatley to handle this.

Would lose the stereo effect of the mid bass, what else would we lose?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Have been following the threads regarding replacing the underseat 8" woofers in the hifi and top hifo cars. Looks like the general consensus is if your are using a trunk subwoofer, then go with a good mid bass like the Morel, Kicker or Jehnert, and if not go with the SWS8 as your sub.

Can we have both?? Get good sub and mid bass from the underseats by using one 8" as a mid bass and one as a sub, say with an SWS under one seat and a Kicker under the other. Setting the crossovers appropriatley to handle this.

Would lose the stereo effect of the mid bass, what else would we lose?
1 SWS-8 wouldn't be enough to support the lower end frequencies that the other driver can't hit and 1 of the others probably wouldn't be enough to support the mid bass either. You probably wouldn't want to overlap them to try and compensate either because that would cause even more issues.

Last edited by 808MGuy; 06-13-2011 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
1 SWS-8 wouldn't be enough to support the lower end frequencies that the other driver can't hit and 1 of the others probably wouldn't be enough to support the mid bass either. You probably wouldn't want to overlap them to try and compensate either because that would cause even more issues.
Thanks Mguy, what are the opinions of the most musical 8" woofer for this application that can hit fairly low as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Thanks Mguy, what are the opinions of the most musical 8" woofer for this application that can hit fairly low as well?
I've only had experience with the Morel and the SWS so I'm hardly the authority on this. Technic has also done systems with the Kickers so you can search for his older posts on that and see how he feels about that. VP Electricity has done the Jehnerts and those seem to work well too. In my own comparison of the Morel and SWS, if you're not doing a sub in the trunk, the SWS will give you more bottom end but the ADMW will blend better with the 4" mids. I did use the SWS for 18 months and got a lot of compliments on the system so it can sound good depending on how critical your ears are.