E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2E84 - How do I test the electric water pump?

12-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #67
new0rder
Lowlife Republic
Rep
Drives: 06 325XI Monaco Blue

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
For those who (unfortunately) are able to get the 2E84 code, it means you need to replace the electric water pump (and thermostat).

For all others who somehow are going through some overheating engine problem, it might be simple a low coolant issue, or a leak somewhere, or else...

To answer the question of this thread: "How do i test the electric water pump?"

This youtube video saved me $600 (for now):

Not the best video out there, nor the most exciting to listen to, but man i learned something!

if you are ready to perform the above procedure, i recommend you have extra coolant available nearby to filll up if you see the coolant level is low in the expansion tank...

Leave the cap of the expansion tank out.

If the water pump works, it should pump coolant and circulate it...

This procedure will last over 10 mins and you cannot stop it... you just need to monitor it.

Good luck...

PS: sorry for reviving this thread
I got a 2006 325xi with 85,000+ miles on it, so the coolant light yellow and then red came on when I turn on the Heat or AC then the big fan infront of the radiator will turn on loudly. I did watch the video to test the water pump, there is coolant coming out not water like the video shows. does that mean my water pump is good?
      12-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #68
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by new0rder View Post
I got a 2006 325xi with 85,000+ miles on it, so the coolant light yellow and then red came on when I turn on the Heat or AC then the big fan infront of the radiator will turn on loudly. I did watch the video to test the water pump, there is coolant coming out not water like the video shows. does that mean my water pump is good?
The only way to know the pump is bad is by scanning the ECU and look for the water pump trouble codes 2E81 (slow RPM), 2E82 (pump shut down), or 2E84 (communication lost). If the pump fails, it can cool down and work again, for a while at least...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #69
new0rder
Lowlife Republic
Rep
Drives: 06 325XI Monaco Blue

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
so 3 month ago I went ahead replace the themostat and water pump, everything was good until one day CEL came up with P0128 code , with the carlybmw app I scan - Fault: Map-controlled thermostat, mechanical - Code: 002EF4
      04-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #70
b-drizzle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe xDrive

i recently replaced the original water pump at 98k as preventive maintenance and got the same error as OP. "2E84 Electrical cooling pump, communication" after 2k miles.

Mechanic has car at moment doing head gasket work. Both water pumps (original and new) are off, there is no way to test them while off the car, correct?

should i buy a new pump?

Last edited by b-drizzle; 04-20-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0