E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: E9X ACC Retrofit

01-27-2022, 11:40 AM   #419
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroller View Post
Thank you too both of you aeroshurik and to hupchye

ps: I still have something to learn more, but this is just the beginning/ E90 320I
Good work on getting ACC working on 4-cylinder! That is a lot of work
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 02:04 AM   #420
hupchye
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 320i E92

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you too both of you aeroshurik and to hupchye

ps: I still have something to learn more, but this is just the beginning/ E90 320I
Great work, https://www.e90post.com/forums/member.php?u=575539 !! This will be the 2nd unit in the world ...
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 02:15 AM   #421
hupchye
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorg4 View Post
Just following up on this, I can confirm that my adjustment screw is indeed 3.5mm. Being that it's such a small size, I figured that it's important to buy a good quality screwdriver to ensure a good fit to avoid rounding the head on the screws. I'd also recommend spraying the threads with some kind of releasing agent where it meets the bracket (I used Plus Gas, not sure how widely available this is) as mine were a bit reluctant to turn.

I was pleased (and surprised) to find that Amazon sell a Wera 3.5mm screwdriver for less than £7 and on Prime so next day delivery. As most of you will know, Wera tools are very good quality, so if you're in the UK and need to adjust your ACC sensor I'd highly recommend getting this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Kraftf.../dp/B0001P17JW

My ACC is now working happily (at 3 bars distance, as I don't have the ACC stalk to adjust it). I'm going to try driving it for a while at 3 bars and maybe adjust the default via coding to 2. I'll then decide whether to look for an ACC stalk, as they seem to rarely come up and then often at a very high price. It might turn out that I don't really need to adjust it once I decide on a setting I'm happy with.
Dear pmorg4,

In fact, instead of having the ACC stalk, we can program and replace with any unused buttons in our car. Just add a small microcontroller like Arduino Uno, STM32 or ESP32 with CAN Bus and tap into PT-Can for this puropose. See thread #286 https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=286.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 06:12 AM   #422
scroller
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Great work, https://www.e90post.com/forums/member.php?u=575539 !! This will be the 2nd unit in the world ...
Thank you master , thank you all for the compliments! My car is holding speed , seeing objects on the dashboard and displaying the line on the left on dashboard that is displayed when the mileage is running and last but not least the car is changes the display icon yellow , red when the distance is small but you know i have issues with the abs pump cracking which you know it's a little bit complicated but never say never and don't give up that's is my motto. When make this project to the end , stop & go then i will sell the car , to start new project 335i with stop & go
Appreciate 1
shannon1639.50
      02-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #423
Sethorion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport LCI 6MT

Garage List
Does anyone know if the ACC stalks are different on the pre-LCI cars and the LCI cars? I've found a pre-LCI one but I have an LCI car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #424
mThZz
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

nice
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:43 PM   #425
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethorion View Post
Does anyone know if the ACC stalks are different on the pre-LCI cars and the LCI cars? I've found a pre-LCI one but I have an LCI car.
I'm pretty sure they're the same. When looking at RealOEM for the Switch unit steering column 61319123051, which I have, it says applicable to both LCI and pre LCI.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:37 AM   #426
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupchye View Post
Dear pmorg4,

In fact, instead of having the ACC stalk, we can program and replace with any unused buttons in our car. Just add a small microcontroller like Arduino Uno, STM32 or ESP32 with CAN Bus and tap into PT-Can for this puropose. See thread #286 https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=286.
I recall reading your work and I think it's an excellent solution. Unfortunately my current circumstances leave me very little time to spend on such things (it has taken me many months to getting around to fitting ACC since I purchased the sensor). I think I'm happy using the ACC with default settings for now, and if I can find some time I will explore creating a CAN bus interface to use the steering wheel buttons.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 05:58 AM   #427
Sethorion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1 View Post
I'm pretty sure they're the same. When looking at RealOEM for the Switch unit steering column 61319123051, which I have, it says applicable to both LCI and pre LCI.
I see what you mean now. RealOEM is great.

This next question might be a long shot given that RealOEM doesn't seem to say, but, do you know if I can swap just the cruise control stalks over. As in keep the central shared stalk holder/housing that all three stalks mount to and just swap over the cruise control stalk modules?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 06:33 AM   #428
københavneren
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 LCI 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethorion View Post
I see what you mean now. RealOEM is great.

This next question might be a long shot given that RealOEM doesn't seem to say, but, do you know if I can swap just the cruise control stalks over. As in keep the central shared stalk holder/housing that all three stalks mount to and just swap over the cruise control stalk modules?
Yes you can, it is a quite simple swap actually.
I even think vehicular diy shows it in the video, posted on page 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:12 AM   #429
Sethorion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by københavneren View Post
Yes you can, it is a quite simple swap actually.
I even think vehicular diy shows it in the video, posted on page 1.
Oh right. I should probably watch the video more closely :P.

One more question; is there a way to code the minimum distance to be less than what can be set normally? In the UK when the motorway gets congested people drive much closer together than what I'm seeing in videos where people demonstrate E90 ACC.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:55 AM   #430
københavneren
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 LCI 325D

The minimum distance (in my car at least) is actually pretty close by standart.

You can unfortunately not add custom parameters to the ACC module, since Nettodat coding is not supported by the acc module, only "normal" coding is supported (FSW-PSW)
So if the option is not there already in the module, it is not possible.

But since you live in the UK, it is a good idea to code the ACC module to RHD instead of LHD.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #431
Monica Fox
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 328i

Hi everyone

I bought 2 months ago my BMW e93 328i from 2010 (N53 engine) as I always wanted to have a convertible. The decision for 12 years old car was actually the ACC retrofit as for the newer cars it is much more complex.

I'm already collecting the parts from list, have the sensor and the stalk ready. What I'm not feeling comfortable about is all the electronics. Is anyone here from LA or Ventura county who can help with that? I don't want to mess up with my car.

Actually I tried to ask the local dealership service to do the retrofit but they are so afraid and don't want to do anything to the car that wasn't there from the date of manufacturing...

So being a bit desperate where to find someone who have the BMW electronical knowledge...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 06:17 AM   #432
Divineshadow
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330xd

I own a E90 pre lci with Msport bumper and I can confirm that it needs to be cut as well. There are no mold lines on mine and it's an OEM bumper.

P.S. Could you provide a simple drawing with dimensions of the cuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio View Post
Just started my ACC retrofit today, on a LCI E90.

I was a bit confused when the lower grille trim piece didn’t fit - turns out the bumper needs to be cut on non-M-Sport cars.

Just for reference, there’s a cutting guide mark moulded into the bumper, on the non painted side (similar to the markings for the PDC holes). Just cut that out with a Dremel and the trim will fit. The cut edge should be mostly hidden by the ACC sensor cover when installed.

Interestingly, there’s no separate part number listed on RealOEM for a pre-cut bumper, despite there being separate parts listed for pre-cut PDC and headlight washer holes.

I think this cutout isn’t required on the M-Sport bumper, because the lower grille sticks out further on that. The cutout is to make clearance for the radar connector.

Last edited by Divineshadow; 03-15-2022 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 09:13 PM   #433
ryanwho82
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

thanks man. needed this!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:42 AM   #434
hupchye
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep

Garage List
I jz discovered that the ACC + Stop&Go functions in my 320i E92 is not 100% completed yet. It is still missing tailgate like a proper BMW driver in Slow Traffic (below 30km/hr) as mentioned by Nickco43 in https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605938
Now I know why E6x has additional 2x more SRR (Short Range Radar). I will continue my effort to add this feature in.
Since I have made my 4-cyl E92 works in ACC and this forum is all about E9x ACC, I shall update my Stop&Go progress in https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1605938.
Appreciate 1
shannon1639.50
      03-17-2022, 05:16 PM   #435
scroller
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Maybe the project I started with is not for me . Maybe I can confirm your theory that 4 cylinders petrol engines are death projects or maybe I need to learn a lot more about to complete the project...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #436
hupchye
Private First Class
Malaysia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe the project I started with is not for me . Maybe I can confirm your theory that 4 cylinders petrol engines are death projects or maybe I need to learn a lot more about to complete the project...
Hi scroller,

Have you completed and achieved the 1st stage : ACC in 4-cyl ?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 06:13 PM   #437
yomismo
Rep
Drives: f34

Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #438
Nefer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms5 View Post
My error was assuming that VO coding a module was achieved what default coding accomplished. WRONG! Once I default coded the LDM and ACC modules, my fault codes disappeared. To clarify I did write my VIN to the LDM but did NOT write the VIN to the ACC unit. That appears to be no problem.

Now just a test drive needed to verify function of the system��
Hey, I had to put this on hold for a while but back on it now. A quick summary of what I've done so far that I consider a good progress:
I got another LDM module and plugged it in without default coding or changing VIN - dynamic cruise control functions all work instantly. INPA would show a fault code of LDM VIN not matching with the rest of the car so I did c_fg_schreiben in Tool32 and now the INPA fault code is gone. ACC fault code "no CAN message" is still present but I'm just going to ty default code all units to solve it. If you have any comments please let me know as it looks like you got far ahead of me in the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:04 AM   #439
bms5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 540d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefer View Post
Quote:
My error was assuming that VO coding a module was achieved what default coding accomplished. WRONG! Once I default coded the LDM and ACC modules, my fault codes disappeared. To clarify I did write my VIN to the LDM but did NOT write the VIN to the ACC unit. That appears to be no problem.

Now just a test drive needed to verify function of the system��
Hey, I had to put this on hold for a while but back on it now. A quick summary of what I've done so far that I consider a good progress:
I got another LDM module and plugged it in without default coding or changing VIN - dynamic cruise control functions all work instantly. INPA would show a fault code of LDM VIN not matching with the rest of the car so I did c_fg_schreiben in Tool32 and now the INPA fault code is gone. ACC fault code "no CAN message" is still present but I'm just going to ty default code all units to solve it. If you have any comments please let me know as it looks like you got far ahead of me in the process.
I never changed the VIN in my ACC module and it is working very well! I never had CAN faults at any point in my retrofit process so you may indeed have a CAN connection problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 08:59 PM   #440
Nefer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e82 135i

Quote:
I never changed the VIN in my ACC module and it is working very well! I never had CAN faults at any point in my retrofit process so you may indeed have a CAN connection problem.
Yep, you are absolutely right about no need to change VIN.
CAN connection code just disappeared so INPA was giving me 0 codes and all ECU tree nice and green before I started to default code them in NCSExpert. After everything was done I was sure it would give me “cruise control malfunction” and it did!
But now I know why… although VO has the option 541 in it e82 has a different KOMBI and thus when I code it it gets confused. You’d do me a huge favor if you post your KOMBI, CIC, DSC, ACC trace files so I can compare the settings. I’m so sure now that it has to do with just coding like never before.
DSC and CIC units on our cars are identical.
One step closer

UPD: if anyone knows of a e82 135i with ACC retrofit - I got one now! I absolutely love it! The trick was to fool the car by changing FA/VO in NCS Expert to e92 (*KG73 for 335i N55) that is similar in specs. And only then the bloody LDM appeared in the list and default coding made it all work. I don’t know what made me think more than a year ago this was possible, but it’s so totally worth it… electric tailgate next!

Last edited by Nefer; 04-29-2022 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
cheerio143.50