E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #837
kahle81
New Member
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: e91 320d
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaza View Post
Do you use the Quadlock?
I modified the existing quadlock connector. I am confident that it is hooked up correctly as when it displays the first time, it is all good.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #838
wmuncaster
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2011 e90 335i Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have an image of what the camera display looks like when implemented on a car without PDC? Does the little PDC graphic still pop up?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #839
evilpinkeye
New Member
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Queens

iTrader: (0)

so is it official that car with a CIC retrofit will not work with this mod?
I guess I'm really screwed because of this Plus manual and no PDC?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #840
jeremyuhh
Private First Class
jeremyuhh's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
so is it official that car with a CIC retrofit will not work with this mod?
I guess I'm really screwed because of this Plus manual and no PDC?
according to bimmer-tech:

OEM-Integration Rear View Camera Retrofit.

This rear view camera retrofit kit uses your BMWs factory iDrive screen and camera mode, so you get the same look and feel as a factory-installed cam, with nearly the same picture quality at a much lower price. If your BMW features PDC, this will appear as usual on the right side of the screen. If not, you will simply see a car diagram without sensor information. This kit displays static parking lines as standard, but offers optional dynamic parking lines, which curve with your steering wheel, making it easier to back up. And like above, we help you activate the factory coding remotely, free of charge. A great option if you have Navigation Professional and PDC, but want a more value-priced option to the OEM camera.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/1-bimmertech-blog
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #841
evilpinkeye
New Member
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Queens

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyuhh View Post
according to bimmer-tech:

OEM-Integration Rear View Camera Retrofit.

This rear view camera retrofit kit uses your BMWs factory iDrive screen and camera mode, so you get the same look and feel as a factory-installed cam, with nearly the same picture quality at a much lower price. If your BMW features PDC, this will appear as usual on the right side of the screen. If not, you will simply see a car diagram without sensor information. This kit displays static parking lines as standard, but offers optional dynamic parking lines, which curve with your steering wheel, making it easier to back up. And like above, we help you activate the factory coding remotely, free of charge. A great option if you have Navigation Professional and PDC, but want a more value-priced option to the OEM camera.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/1-bimmertech-blog
After spending 100 dollars on the emulator and camera, it just makes me wonder if its worth paying 500+ for a more plug and play system when that same money can go towards an Android head unit and connect the rear camera into that instead...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...807492495.html
or even
https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-3-series...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:17 AM   #842
jeremyuhh
Private First Class
jeremyuhh's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyuhh View Post
according to bimmer-tech:

OEM-Integration Rear View Camera Retrofit.

This rear view camera retrofit kit uses your BMW’s factory iDrive screen and camera mode, so you get the same look and feel as a factory-installed cam, with nearly the same picture quality — at a much lower price. If your BMW features PDC, this will appear as usual on the right side of the screen. If not, you will simply see a car diagram without sensor information. This kit displays static parking lines as standard, but offers optional dynamic parking lines, which curve with your steering wheel, making it easier to back up. And like above, we help you activate the factory coding remotely, free of charge. A great option if you have Navigation Professional and PDC, but want a more value-priced option to the OEM camera.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/1-bimmertech-blog
After spending 100 dollars on the emulator and camera, it just makes me wonder if its worth paying 500+ for a more plug and play system when that same money can go towards an Android head unit and connect the rear camera into that instead...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...807492495.html
or even
https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-3-series...on-system.html
None of those links work.

I wanted to retain the OEM interface with the backup camera. But if there are alternatives for the same money and upgraded system, I wouldn't be opposed
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #843
evilpinkeye
New Member
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Queens

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyuhh View Post
None of those links work.

I wanted to retain the OEM interface with the backup camera. But if there are alternatives for the same money and upgraded system, I wouldn't be opposed
Odd...

hope these work!
https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-3-series...on-system.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-8-...ceBeautifyAB=0
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 02:11 AM   #844
birte
New Member
2
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2012 5 Series
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: LAX

iTrader: (0)

thisis insane, just get an interface like navtool
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #845
Maniac0908
Major
Maniac0908's Avatar
United_States
128
Rep
1,281
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Towson, MD

iTrader: (2)

Anyone find a dynamic line solution? I have cic retrofit with hardware activation so I don't need a emulator for that. I just need the backup cam emulator with dynamic lines. Thanks
__________________
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #846
n2siast
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: E93 335i M-SPORT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (9)

So I attempted to do this yesterday, got the camera from eBay that most here are using and also bought a "plug and play" harness with the emulator wired in.

However, upon installing the harness, my screen is blank and can't access iDrive menu, I can hear sound, but nothing else. I'm thinking the "harness" and emulator is the wrong one, but was advertised as the backup camera emulator. In addition, when I turn off the ignition, I get an SOS error, even though I transferred the Fiber Optic Cables to the new harness.

Attached is a pic of what I received, what has me concerned is the fact that there are 2 extra wires on the emulator, whereas, all the others I've seen here only has 5 wires as opposed to 7 like the one I received.

Like to get some thoughts on this.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #847
Gray335i
Private
19
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2008 335
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreedamin View Post
Has anyone confirmed this method works with e92 6spd manual no pdc?
i went thru same thing as you did. no matter what , i could not get screen to change when in reverse, so finally did a rear pdc retrofit and now screen and camera works.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #848
grzes
Captain
Canada
27
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (2)

I have done this years ago but from what I do remember the screen was blank even before coding. Someone pointed to me that the cables that were twisted originally had to stay twisted which I didn't know. So my first guess and advise to you would be make sure that the cables on the harness are also twisted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by n2siast View Post
So I attempted to do this yesterday, got the camera from eBay that most here are using and also bought a "plug and play" harness with the emulator wired in.

However, upon installing the harness, my screen is blank and can't access iDrive menu, I can hear sound, but nothing else. I'm thinking the "harness" and emulator is the wrong one, but was advertised as the backup camera emulator. In addition, when I turn off the ignition, I get an SOS error, even though I transferred the Fiber Optic Cables to the new harness.

Attached is a pic of what I received, what has me concerned is the fact that there are 2 extra wires on the emulator, whereas, all the others I've seen here only has 5 wires as opposed to 7 like the one I received.

Like to get some thoughts on this.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camera wiring diagram Model_Rev1C.pdf (103.8 KB, 68 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #849
n2siast
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: E93 335i M-SPORT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
I have done this years ago but from what I do remember the screen was blank even before coding. Someone pointed to me that the cables that were twisted originally had to stay twisted which I didn't know. So my first guess and advise to you would be make sure that the cables on the harness are also twisted.
Thanks for the guidance. I actually went ahead and ordered the emulator from the recommended eBay seller. Arrived today and everything works great.

I was a bit stumped with powering the camera off the wires attached to it, but found that i didn't need to use the red power wire, just the ground and it worked flawlessly. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work as it should.

This is an excellent mod as I back into my garage all the time and this helps with not bumping into stuff in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:34 AM   #850
grzes
Captain
Canada
27
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (2)

yes, this is amazing mod, camera works for me ever since I have installed it, no issue what so ever other than remembering cleaning the dirt that collects on
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #851
tigermack
OPN DIFF
tigermack's Avatar
Hong Kong
95
Rep
1,429
Posts

Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to tigermack
D'oh I don't have PDC.
__________________
SG LCI n54 - JB4 G5 w/ DCI/DP/AMS exhaust/VRSF 7' FMIC/ER CP w/ Tial BOV/BBS GT4/ST coils

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #852
lnxguy
Captain
129
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Barrie

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
D'oh I don't have PDC.
You don't require PDC for this.
__________________
'09 335D
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #853
tigermack
OPN DIFF
tigermack's Avatar
Hong Kong
95
Rep
1,429
Posts

Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to tigermack
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
You don't require PDC for this.
I thought I read posts saying you'd need it as a minimum requirement?
__________________
SG LCI n54 - JB4 G5 w/ DCI/DP/AMS exhaust/VRSF 7' FMIC/ER CP w/ Tial BOV/BBS GT4/ST coils

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #854
vespa
Second Lieutenant
115
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermack View Post
I thought I read posts saying you'd need it as a minimum requirement?
The emulator in the OP doesn't seem to work with manual transmission cars lacking PDC. I expect that the vastly more refined Carsystems emulator would work fine in that rare case.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2018, 12:39 AM   #855
kingjay4945
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: bmw 335i x-drive manual
Join Date: May 2018
Location: new york

iTrader: (0)

Doesn't seem to work with manual without pdc

Just did the diy today. Followed all the instructions, but when i put the car in reverse nothing happens. My car is manual without pdc, could that be the problem? Do I need to tap into the reverse light, so the emulator can know the car is in reverse? please help
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #856
yuyuyuyu
Captain
37
Rep
842
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjay4945 View Post
Just did the diy today. Followed all the instructions, but when i put the car in reverse nothing happens. My car is manual without pdc, could that be the problem? Do I need to tap into the reverse light, so the emulator can know the car is in reverse? please help
Same setup here, 6MT without PDC. Coded my CIC unit (.c1a) with the values in the OP and tested the camera, but I can't even get the PDC menu to pop up when throwing it into reverse
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #857
n2siast
Second Lieutenant
34
Rep
279
Posts

Drives: E93 335i M-SPORT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (9)

Anyone know of a way, or a different camera that will fill up the entire screen?

Also, anyone found a camera with higher resolution?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #858
FireBlaze
Private
20
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjay4945 View Post
Just did the diy today. Followed all the instructions, but when i put the car in reverse nothing happens. My car is manual without pdc, could that be the problem? Do I need to tap into the reverse light, so the emulator can know the car is in reverse? please help
I think we 6MT owners are out of luck with this cheap hack. I tried and failed. Even had Joe at TopGearSolutions do the coding for me. My next step is to get the Bimmertech camera installed and be done with it.
__________________
VRSF DP, VRSF 7" Intercooler, BMS OCC, Stg 2 LPFP, Custom MHD E30 Tune, Late Model E-Series N55
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reverse camera

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST