E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > stumped on back up camera after install

01-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
mattflipper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

stumped on back up camera after install

06 325i with Hi-Fi audio system. Installed the Eonon GA9165A head unit and a backup camera with a 4 wire relay setup to power the cam. I get nothing in reverse. I dont know if its correlated but even with handbrake up and selecting any kind of dvd or video feature it says its prohibited while driving... even when im parked. Is there something I missed? I double checked my wiring to the camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

check that you don't need to do some configuration in the head unit itself.

I inastalled a pioneer in my wife's volvo, and it didn't do backup camera stuff until I went into a menu and told it to, and what kind of trigger it was.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
mattflipper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

ill try playing with it when i have some time
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:43 AM   #4
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Any update on this?

Also, if I purchase one of those integrated cameras on the trunk release, will I have to tap into something for power?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Any update on this?

Also, if I purchase one of those integrated cameras on the trunk release, will I have to tap into something for power?
Depends which one you get. But most have you tap the brake or reverse lights as a trigger and sometimes power source. That said, sometimes you have to put in a relay if the camera unit you have needs more power. Since it's in the trunk, many have just run straight power from the battery triggered by the reverse light (relay).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:41 AM   #6
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattflipper View Post
ill try playing with it when i have some time
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Depends which one you get. But most have you tap the brake or reverse lights as a trigger and sometimes power source. That said, sometimes you have to put in a relay if the camera unit you have needs more power. Since it's in the trunk, many have just run straight power from the battery triggered by the reverse light (relay).
Thanks for your reply. How about the ones on Amazon that replaces the trunk handle?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. How about the ones on Amazon that replaces the trunk handle?
Honestly, thats a pretty broad gamut. It's not a terribly big deal; just have a relay and some power wire ready. Follow the directions and the telltale sign is if it doesn't power up or, more likely, it powers up and then shuts off inexplicably. That's when you add the relay.

Just to confirm, are you putting in an aftermarket camera to an aftermarket mirror or head unit? I believe those types use the old video rca cable with an SD or DVD resolution. Certain aftermarket ones, esp mirrors, have their own cameras that have power built into the cable and usually have a higher resolution of 720P or higher.

If you're trying to go iDrive retro, that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Never tap the reverse lights for camera power. At least on all of the car systems adapters they have a dedicated power wire for a camera making it very easy to install.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, thats a pretty broad gamut. It's not a terribly big deal; just have a relay and some power wire ready. Follow the directions and the telltale sign is if it doesn't power up or, more likely, it powers up and then shuts off inexplicably. That's when you add the relay.

Just to confirm, are you putting in an aftermarket camera to an aftermarket mirror or head unit? I believe those types use the old video rca cable with an SD or DVD resolution. Certain aftermarket ones, esp mirrors, have their own cameras that have power built into the cable and usually have a higher resolution of 720P or higher.

If you're trying to go iDrive retro, that's another story.
I plan to install the camera that is integrated on the trunk handle/release with the EONON 8165... Sorry but I'm really don't know anything about installation of relays but won't the power from the built in cable or harnesses connected to the trunk release suffice?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:05 AM   #11
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

Quote:
I plan to install the camera that is integrated on the trunk handle/release with the EONON 8165... Sorry but I'm really don't know anything about installation of relays but won't the power from the built in cable or harnesses connected to the trunk release suffice?
I'm not sure if the trunk release offers constant power but even if it did, once the ECU detects that is drawing too much current it will cut the power off.

This is a simplified explanation of what you need to do.

The camera will have 3 wires, one for the video feed, one for the ground and one for power.

So you would need to run a wire to the back of the head unit for video, the red power goes into the relay and you will need to tap into the reverse lights to "trigger" the camera.

The relay is needed because if you run power to the camera from your reverse lights the electrical system is gonna freak out, it will detect that your reverse lights are drawing too much power and it will shut power off.

You cannot wire it directly to the battery because there is no off switch, it will drain your battery overnight, yes you can install a switch but it would be a pain in the ass to remember to flip the switch every time you turn the car off.

The relay is the elegant solution, as it "tricks" the ECU into thinking there is no extra power draw from your backup camera.

This is the relay you need.

And this is how you wire it.

I know it sounds complicated, it took me a while to "get it" but once you have it front of you it will make sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
I'm not sure if the trunk release offers constant power but even if it did, once the ECU detects that is drawing too much current it will cut the power off.

The camera will have 3 wires, one for the video feed, one for the ground and one for power.

So you would need to run a wire to the back of the head unit for video, the red power goes into the relay and you will need to tap into the reverse lights to "trigger" the camera.

The relay is needed because if you run power to the camera from your reverse lights the electrical system is gonna freak out, it will detect that your reverse lights are drawing too much power and it will shut power off.

You cannot wire it directly to the battery because there is no off switch, it will drain your battery overnight, yes you can install a switch but it would be a pain in the ass to remember to flip the switch every time you turn the car off.

The relay is the elegant solution, as it "tricks" the ECU into thinking there is no extra power draw from your backup camera.

I know it sounds complicated, it took me a while to "get it" but once you have it front of you it will make sense.
Thanks for the info to include the diagram!

Sorry but dumb questions coming, 85 connection is for the camera's ground wire, no need to wire an additional ground to chassis? and 87 directly to the battery? Didn't you mention on your post above that I don't need to wire directly to battery?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #13
DoJu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info to include the diagram!

Sorry but dumb questions coming, 85 connection is for the camera's ground wire, no need to wire an additional ground to chassis? and 87 directly to the battery? Didn't you mention on your post above that I don't need to wire directly to battery?
No need to wire it to chassis because the relay would be already wired to the negative from the car battery.

I meant not wire the camera directly to the battery as this will keep the camera on 24/7 draining your battery.

Once you wire it like in the diagram the relay will send power to the camera whenever the reverse lights are on, the relay will stop sending power to the camera when they're off. This works as on/off switch without you having to actually flip it.

Last edited by DoJu3; 05-22-2019 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
ttthai28.00
      05-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No need to wire it to chassis because the relay would be already wired to the negative from the car battery.

I meant not wire the camera directly to the battery as this will keep the camera on 24/7 draining your battery.

Once you wire it like in the diagram the relay will send power to the camera whenever the reverse lights are on, the relay will stop sending power to the camera when they're off. This works as on/off switch without you having to actually flip it.
You have been a great help. Thanks again.

I've been seeing videos having the yellow cable having a piggyback red wire. Do we connect/splice anything on the head unit or anything in the back?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
DoJu3
Private
Rep

Quote:
You have been a great help. Thanks again.

I've been seeing videos having the yellow cable having a piggyback red wire. Do we connect/splice anything on the head unit or anything in the back?
If is an RCA wire is probably for audio although I don't see a reason that's needed unless the camera is also used like a dashcam. But if I had to guess it's probably a camera designed to work like an aftermarket amplifier, with an amplifier you have a red wire for constant power, wired directly to the battery and a yellow wire for something called "remote" the yellow wire goes into the back of the stereo so whenever the stereo is on the amp is on, when the stereo is off the amp is off.

The only thing you need to wire to the back of the head unit is the video feed.
Appreciate 1
ttthai28.00
      05-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #16
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

For those who have recently installed an Eonon unit. My 9165b that just arrived has two silver screws (instead of black) that seem to be smaller than what I have seen on the videos. These are the screws that mounts the unit itself.

Per the manual, we are supposed to screw the metal bracket for the AC unit to the car's center console, which I haven't seen anyone do in the videos I've watched. My guess the silver screws I received are for the bracket to console. Note that I'm not talking about the four little screws.

So did yours come with two black or silver screws, in addition to the four small ones?

There is also a more expensive 9265b but only quadcore and 2gb of RAM vs the 9165 with octacore with 4gb of ram? Why is this the case? Better processor on the 9265?

Last edited by ducatiti; 05-24-2019 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Has anyone here installed on of those cameras that are built into the trunk latch?

Per JDcars' video tutorial, a relay was not used but it was for a license plate camera instead.

Please let us know as there are a couple of us who wants to install one
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #18
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:

After carefully reading your post over and over , I'm beginning to understand.

My question is now where do I connect the ground wire from the camera, to the reverse light wire harness or relay marked 85?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #19
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Will hooking it up the camera for the Eonon this way work?

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
mwa12E93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E93

re: stumped on reverse camera install

good grief. This question was answered years ago for the E90 w/ CIC

see this thread for what to do: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...camera+install

get the emulator here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-BMW-E90...-Camera-Activa

buy one of these:
Rear-View-Reverse-Parking-Camera-for-BMW-3-Series-E90-E91-E92-E9-Backup

I did this over 3yrs ago on my 335is. It works a treat. you will have to program/code the iDrive, but that is necessary for all of these mods.
Appreciate 0