E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Wastegate actuator adjustment (RHD)

05-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #23
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Haven't BMW extended the warranty for N54 turbos to 10 years or 120,000 miles?

Mine are audible now and I would like them not to be
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #24
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Facelift MK5 Golf GT TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish8895 View Post
Haven't BMW extended the warranty for N54 turbos to 10 years or 120,000 miles?

Mine are audible now and I would like them not to be
If they had I'd be banging on their door, there's sadly nothing like this in existence in the UK to my knowledge, the replacement parts are warranted for 24 months then thats it BMW in North America due to legislation and god knows what else adopt a different policy, last time I looked it was 82000 miles and/or 8 years from memory, American law and your interests are better served over there than the Luke warm kind of denial you seem to recieve over here.

These cars aren't cheap to run, they have vsrious known, well documented issues, BMW on the turbo charger front have had numerous supersession changes on the turbo units not one change but to my knowledge since 2006 production run around 3 to 4 psrt number/modification changes, mine were replaced late 2013 they rattled on start up though not bad still rattled, I reported it to the parts department where I obtained the units from asked if they'd look in to it and known possible reported issues (which I knew was a long shot) they came back with the said info about being modified etc. but on the technical side said there were no issues reported re technical bulletin.

Yet time and time again you get the isdue re waste gate issues BMW clearly have to toe the company / warranty line and usually pull a blinder that creates a thread like this where there's an issue and in many cases a stalemate it how to resolve it.

I've seen plenty of 335i's through our doors something like 60 are on our books from memory, most have the rattle some more than others obviously but if most have the isdue rule of averages says there's a design issue doesn't it.
      05-08-2015, 03:32 AM   #25
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
If they had I'd be banging on their door, there's sadly nothing like this in existence in the UK to my knowledge, the replacement parts are warranted for 24 months then thats it BMW in North America due to legislation and god knows what else adopt a different policy, last time I looked it was 82000 miles and/or 8 years from memory, American law and your interests are better served over there than the Luke warm kind of denial you seem to recieve over here.

These cars aren't cheap to run, they have vsrious known, well documented issues, BMW on the turbo charger front have had numerous supersession changes on the turbo units not one change but to my knowledge since 2006 production run around 3 to 4 psrt number/modification changes, mine were replaced late 2013 they rattled on start up though not bad still rattled, I reported it to the parts department where I obtained the units from asked if they'd look in to it and known possible reported issues (which I knew was a long shot) they came back with the said info about being modified etc. but on the technical side said there were no issues reported re technical bulletin.

Yet time and time again you get the isdue re waste gate issues BMW clearly have to toe the company / warranty line and usually pull a blinder that creates a thread like this where there's an issue and in many cases a stalemate it how to resolve it.

I've seen plenty of 335i's through our doors something like 60 are on our books from memory, most have the rattle some more than others obviously but if most have the isdue rule of averages says there's a design issue doesn't it.

Yes i've read plenty of HPFP and WG threads from North America where they get them done under warranty. For me, i think i will just continue to pay for third party warrant, allowing me to drive the car like it was mean to be driven without the worry of expensive repair bills
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #26
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Rear actuator adjustment is easy on a RHD? I did it lots of time on my 335i's. Its only the front that cant be reached. Its clearly visible from under the car. Just need to be adventurous with how you get your hand in ther.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #27
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Thinking about it the rattle seems lessened on my car since a recent back end flash as well. It does alter boost behavior. I will have to test it the next time I drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #28
Had0uken!
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
Rear actuator adjustment is easy on a RHD? I did it lots of time on my 335i's. Its only the front that cant be reached. Its clearly visible from under the car. Just need to be adventurous with how you get your hand in ther.

What's the best way? I adjusted mine today and took quite a while due to clearance and trying to reach up high enough with wrenches and minimal clearance. I was going up through the hole in the wheel arch and using the hole next to the chassis frame to see what I was doing.

Only reason I'm asking is mine could do with another half turn so if there's an easier way then I'd like to try it!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #29
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Reviving an old thread to see if anyone has done this and fixed thir problem for the long term or whether the rattle returned.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:27 AM   #30
Chappers 71
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Garage List
I believe that the rattle always returns even with having new turbo fitted. I had wg rattle for a while & I just lived with it until they stopped holding boost I then replaced them with turbos bought direct from Mitsubishi.
I did consider rebuilding the waste gates on my old tubs but haven't gotten around to it & they are still sat in my garage.
The parts are quite cheap, if you fancy having a go I'd sell you my old tubos, should be an easy enough job to do with them already off the car
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0