E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

08-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #67
Tbag
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

For those with the ticking noise problem, I'm wondering which plant your car was built at?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #68
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Munich for me

PS I don't think "where it was build" really matters. Lifters are done by a third party vendor for BMW from what I understand. It was not a problem with installation/assembly. The lifters themselves were out of spec.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #69
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us
Munich for me

PS I don't think "where it was build" really matters. Lifters are done by a third party vendor for BMW from what I understand. It was not a problem with installation/assembly. The lifters themselves were out of spec.
correct. I got the exact same explanation when mine was repaired.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #70
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Damn- just when I was starting to enjoy driving my car (post break-in period), I have this new issue to deal with. I have the engine clicking noise that you guys had been complaining about on this thread. It seems like these cars have a tendency to make such annoying sounds!!! First the back seat creaking, then this! I know its just a car, but come on, BMW- get it right!

BTW- ages944, since the repair, has the engine clicking noise come back? I'm deciding whether I should get it repaired, or if I should just deal with it. I don't like it when my engine gets taken apart...
      10-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #71
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well. In my case ticking noise did come back ... waiting for another appointment to get it fixed ones again. Don't know about you but I am not driving with this noise. As for repair itself I did not notice any negative site effects after the first time BMW tried to fix ticking noise. And just to be fair. The engine sounded excellent after repair. Unfortunately not for very long ... The only advice I can offer that if your noise is intermittent see if it is beginning to happen more often or not. If not and you an live with it you might be better off leaving it alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #72
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well. In my case ticking noise did come back ... waiting for another appointment to get it fixed ones again. Don't know about you but I am not driving with this noise. As for repair itself I did not notice any negative site effects after the first time BMW tried to fix ticking noise. And just to be fair. The engine sounded excellent after repair. Unfortunately not for very long ... The only advice I can offer that if your noise is intermittent see if it is beginning to happen more often or not. If not and you an live with it you might be better off leaving it alone.
Actually, I took it for a drive after work, and initially, the ticking noise was present. After driving a few miles, the noise went away. It hasn't come back the rest of the time. I dunno- I may just monitor it. If it comes back, I may just swing by my dealer and have them try to decipher what the noise could possibly be.

Thanks for replying...
      10-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #73
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmi
BTW- ages944, since the repair, has the engine clicking noise come back? I'm deciding whether I should get it repaired, or if I should just deal with it. I don't like it when my engine gets taken apart...
Simmi, sorry to hear about the noise.

My car was repaired back in March. I am proud to say that since then I have never heard the noise again (knock wood).

Also, if your noise is the same as I had, they wouldn't totally take your engine apart to repair it. I actually posted which parts they replaced on my car on one of the earlier pages in this thread if you'd like to go looking for them. Basically though, they removed the valve cover and swapped out the lifters. Nothing really deep into the 'guts' of the engine.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #74
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, ages944. The ticking noise still hasn't come back, so I will just monitor it for now. If it does return, I probably will take it into service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944
Simmi, sorry to hear about the noise.

My car was repaired back in March. I am proud to say that since then I have never heard the noise again (knock wood).

Also, if your noise is the same as I had, they wouldn't totally take your engine apart to repair it. I actually posted which parts they replaced on my car on one of the earlier pages in this thread if you'd like to go looking for them. Basically though, they removed the valve cover and swapped out the lifters. Nothing really deep into the 'guts' of the engine.
      10-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #75
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

I'm very pissed off right now....
I started my car up this evening, and it was ticking... grrr. If it does it tomorrow, it's going in to service. This is crap.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #76
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

My car does the ticking noise when i accelerate from 1rpm to 2rpms. And sometimes when I am turning at a full angle, it starts to tick. It is the mettalic ticking noise I heard. But mine does not appear whe the car is in idle. What could be this? One member here told me it was the Double Vanos? And that it happened in both of his e90s and M car?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #77
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm very pissed off right now....
I started my car up this evening, and it was ticking... grrr. If it does it tomorrow, it's going in to service. This is crap.
Ages944, I am really sorry to hear the ticking is back. Your car was tick free for 6 month or so after repare, right?
I've got the same problem: tick free for a month or so after sevice and it is back now. Actually I heard ticking for a first time after repare few weeks ago and was waiting to see if it gets worse or not before calling for service. The story unfortunetly seems to be repeating itself -- it does get worse and worse. So this time around I am not waiting untill ticking is there almost every day. I've got a service appointment for 10/23 (soonest they have a loaner). Let's keep this thread alive with our progress. Hopefully between your service depo and my we'll get this ticking problem resolved for good. I still have faith in BMW service. Hopefully I won't be disappointed (and hopefully they won't keep my car there for a month like last time).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2006, 01:08 AM   #78
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Ages944, I am really sorry to hear the ticking is back. Your car was tick free for 6 month or so after repare, right?
I've got the same problem: tick free for a month or so after sevice and it is back now. Actually I heard ticking for a first time after repare few weeks ago and was waiting to see if it gets worse or not before calling for service. The story unfortunetly seems to be repeating itself -- it does get worse and worse. So this time around I am not waiting untill ticking is there almost every day. I've got a service appointment for 10/23 (soonest they have a loaner). Let's keep this thread alive with our progress. Hopefully between your service depo and my we'll get this ticking problem resolved for good. I still have faith in BMW service. Hopefully I won't be disappointed (and hopefully they won't keep my car there for a month like last time).

msinfo_us, Sorry to hear that your noise is back as well. Yes, my car was noise free for about 7mo.

Yeah, my service dept has been very cool to me every time I have had to go in for service, and I really appreciate that. Makes the whole process easier. What is irritating the hell out of me though is that a bunch of people seem to have this problem, and that it is recurring. I wish BMW would make sure that its suppliers can make a decent friggin part.

MonacoBimm, the noise in question is the result of faulty valve lifters. I've had them replaced once before, and I am worried that I will have to have them replaced once again.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #79
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've read somewhere here (e90 forum) that BMW dropped existing supplier and using another company now. Please forgive me if that is not so and I am just repeating rumors. I am really tired, had a very busy and long day at work and not in a mood to search for that post.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #80
megatnh
Rep
Drives: 320i SE 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBimm
My car does the ticking noise when i accelerate from 1rpm to 2rpms. And sometimes when I am turning at a full angle, it starts to tick. It is the mettalic ticking noise I heard. But mine does not appear whe the car is in idle. What could be this? One member here told me it was the Double Vanos? And that it happened in both of his e90s and M car?
MonacoBimm
Your abnormal noise seems to be similar as what I have reported as below:

my 320ise seems to emit a slight rattling/vibration/clicking sound at 2000-2500 rpm. couldnt figure it out where the source from...it is running fine when it gets to 3000rpm and above. Wont hear it if I m driving in the city but once u r drivin thru the quiet area the sound is pretty audible

thot it was the engine belting, initially...still cudnt get use to the 'diesel' engine sound for my beemer...japs car is refine in this area...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #81
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

is this noise only near redline? When i redline my car it makes some strange sounds the last 1000rpm. sounds like a bunch of rattles coming from the engine. my dads 330i does the same thing too
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2006, 10:50 AM   #82
megatnh
Rep
Drives: 320i SE 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3
is this noise only near redline? When i redline my car it makes some strange sounds the last 1000rpm. sounds like a bunch of rattles coming from the engine. my dads 330i does the same thing too
new2the3
mine seems to occur at the earlier rpms rather than toward the end though...its annoying and what i cant stand is that i couldnt figure out where its coming from...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2006, 07:33 PM   #83
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
msinfo_us, Sorry to hear that your noise is back as well. Yes, my car was noise free for about 7mo.

Yeah, my service dept has been very cool to me every time I have had to go in for service, and I really appreciate that. Makes the whole process easier. What is irritating the hell out of me though is that a bunch of people seem to have this problem, and that it is recurring. I wish BMW would make sure that its suppliers can make a decent friggin part.

MonacoBimm, the noise in question is the result of faulty valve lifters. I've had them replaced once before, and I am worried that I will have to have them replaced once again.
Dropped my car at BMW yesterday and got call from service manager today. The good news they were able to hear ticking noise. So, they are working on a car then submitting info to BMW NA. Interesting how this system works: for this type of repairs all decisions are up to BMW NA it seems (according to service manager). The dealer service depo is only responsible to diagnose the problem than BMW NA makes all the decisions. Option with "new motor" came up a few times. It is not final yet but I am not sure how I feel about it at all. Last time I was assured that this is a minor thing, no effect on engine and kind of no biggy. All talks about staff on top of the engine and etc. Now it sounds like there is a possibility of replacing entire engine???? That does not sound to me as a minor repair .... rather like a major one, right? So, I can't help it but wonder why? Also, I don't know if I am comfortable with this idea at all. I mean new fr...ng engine!!! Is this car gonna run like new? Can even local service guys do the same quality work as BMW manufactory? Obviously, local shop does not have all the high tech staff like robots and etc, right? I am afraid that after such a drastic measure my car won't be the same and I'll end up a frequent quest to repair shop especially after the warranty is over. What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #84
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Heck, if they're giving you an entirely new engine, I wouldn't be afraid of that, I'd be appreciative! You'd have to take it easy for the first several hundred miles all over again, which would be sort of a PITA but otherwise that sounds like an incredible deal.
      10-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #85
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Dropped my car at BMW yesterday and got call from service manager today. The good news they were able to hear ticking noise. So, they are working on a car then submitting info to BMW NA. Interesting how this system works: for this type of repairs all decisions are up to BMW NA it seems (according to service manager). The dealer service depo is only responsible to diagnose the problem than BMW NA makes all the decisions. Option with "new motor" came up a few times. It is not final yet but I am not sure how I feel about it at all. Last time I was assured that this is a minor thing, no effect on engine and kind of no biggy. All talks about staff on top of the engine and etc. Now it sounds like there is a possibility of replacing entire engine???? That does not sound to me as a minor repair .... rather like a major one, right? So, I can't help it but wonder why? Also, I don't know if I am comfortable with this idea at all. I mean new fr...ng engine!!! Is this car gonna run like new? Can even local service guys do the same quality work as BMW manufactory? Obviously, local shop does not have all the high tech staff like robots and etc, right? I am afraid that after such a drastic measure my car won't be the same and I'll end up a frequent quest to repair shop especially after the warranty is over. What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like they opened up a PUMA case (PUMA being what they call it when BMWNA gets involved). They did the same thing for mine as well...

... but I wouldn't count on getting a new engine out of this, basically because I just don't see how that could possibly be cost effective for them. All the repair work would indeed be 'on the top' of the engine, meaning under the valve cover, not inside the block. Even if you had the worst case scenario and your camshafts were bad, I still wouldn't see how an engine would make sense vs replacing the affected parts. On the other hand, if offered a new engine, I wouldn't balk at it either. Hey a new engine is a new engine! Just make sure to ask if they'll reset your powertrain warranty

...Now, an update on my own car's ticking. It's been basically two weeks since the one day I heard the ticking, and I haven't heard the noise again since. I am very happy about that! (though knocking on wood too, lol).

As a side note, I got mad when I heard the tick. The next morning when it was still making noise, I got pissed and told my car that I was going to call her 'ticky' for as long as she was being noisy. Then I proceeded to flog the hell out of the engine on my morning commute (after proper warmup of course). When I came out for lunch, the noise was gone.... lol

(and no, I am not reccommending that people do the same to their cars)

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #86
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ages944 I am happy to hear your car is ticking free. BK, Ages944, thank you guys for your advice. I do feel better about engine replacement now if it will ever come up again. So far they heard the ticking noise than it disappeared on its own (it does this often enough but never stays noise free for long in my case). They wanted me to take the car since there is no noise therefore no problem now -- that is the way they see it. I asked them and they agree to continue to troubleshoot until they find and fix the problem hopefully for good. I don't want to wait another month for appointment and at this point I am no longer convinced it is a minor problem that has no long term effect - so, I am not letting this go until it is fixed with new engine or without. One thing I am not getting so, they tried to fix this three times already -- bunch of parts and tons of labor. Would not it make more sense to just replace all relevant parts and call it a day? This way they don't have to go thru a long and I would assume expansive labor hours and they have a happy customer that will continue to buy cars from them. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #87
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Ages944 I am happy to hear your car is ticking free. BK, Ages944, thank you guys for your advice. I do feel better about engine replacement now if it will ever come up again. So far they heard the ticking noise than it disappeared on its own (it does this often enough but never stays noise free for long in my case). They wanted me to take the car since there is no noise therefore no problem now -- that is the way they see it. I asked them and they agree to continue to troubleshoot until they find and fix the problem hopefully for good. I don't want to wait another month for appointment and at this point I am no longer convinced it is a minor problem that has no long term effect - so, I am not letting this go until it is fixed with new engine or without. One thing I am not getting so, they tried to fix this three times already -- bunch of parts and tons of labor. Would not it make more sense to just replace all relevant parts and call it a day? This way they don't have to go thru a long and I would assume expansive labor hours and they have a happy customer that will continue to buy cars from them. What am I missing?

My E92 is ticking....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #88
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I talian Stallion NJ
My E92 is ticking....
Now this is strange ! You've got 335, right? I think this is first report of ticking in 335. At least first a see on the forum. Are you shure you are talking about same ticking noise we are here. Listen to the audio clip posted in this thread. Does your ticking noise sound the same?
Appreciate 0