E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > About that residue on the brake discs after washing

07-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
About that residue on the brake discs after washing

I realize this topic has probably been discussed but I suck at searching at forum, can't seem to find what I'm looking for, I think it's the language barrier (I'm swedish).

You know when you spray the wheels with cleaner the brake disks get all rusty looking, then after driving for the first time and braking that dirt get sprayed all over the wheels so you sort of need to clean the wheels again if you're a bit ocd about it..

What's the trick to preventing that happening on the first run back from the washers? I mean, I've read about waxing the weels and stuff to make the brake dust come off more easily but that's not what I'm looking for, I want to prevent that dirt from being created in the first place (when spraying with wheel cleaner). Or is it possible to scrub it of from the brake disc when washing?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Don't get cleaner on brake discs.....they oxidize when in contact with the liquid then turn into rust dust getting all over your wheels.
You can get some rim product that helps prevent the dust sticking but inevitable either way over time......maybe just drive car to get film off then clean rims and problem solved.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov160.50
      08-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I realize this topic has probably been discussed but I suck at searching at forum, can't seem to find what I'm looking for, I think it's the language barrier (I'm swedish).

You know when you spray the wheels with cleaner the brake disks get all rusty looking, then after driving for the first time and braking that dirt get sprayed all over the wheels so you sort of need to clean the wheels again if you're a bit ocd about it..

What's the trick to preventing that happening on the first run back from the washers? I mean, I've read about waxing the weels and stuff to make the brake dust come off more easily but that's not what I'm looking for, I want to prevent that dirt from being created in the first place (when spraying with wheel cleaner). Or is it possible to scrub it of from the brake disc when washing?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful!
I've never used this before but you can look into it.

https://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html