E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crank Pulley/ Harmonic Balancer

05-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
raptorman5174
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6 speed

Crank Pulley/ Harmonic Balancer

SO this past weekend I did the infamous oil filter housing gasket, oil cooler gasket and replaced that failure prone plastic fitting that attaches to the head with this trick aluminum piece from VTT. Full coolant change and fresh oil change.

I had the car running while it was still on jack stand so that I can look up form under the car to make sure nothing was leaking and noticed that my crank pulley had a horrible wobble to it. I am assuming that since my oil/coolant leak was pretty bad it ruined the pulley by degrading the rubber inside of it and now also needs to be replaced. This is probably one of the reasons why these cars have tendency to throw the belt that I keep seeing pop up on here.

Now looking to replace this part i have done the : and I see that this is a common failure. I am coming across a few options, there are two part numbers one for an auto and one for a manual. I have manual so of course its gonna be harder to find. I was able to find good used parts online for about $100 but all are stated for an auto. The brand new piece is $500+

So my question is are they really that different?
Can i use one off an auto?
Are there any aftermarket solutions that I can consider?
Does anybody here have one for a manual car I can buy?
If I have to buy the brand new part what are my options?

Asking the community because I CAN'T be the only one that has come across this problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

For $900, ATI makes an aftermarket damper that is much more advanced than stock.
https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...n54-p3758.aspx

I can't say I've heard of this as being a common problem though. 335i only?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
SO this past weekend I did the infamous oil filter housing gasket, oil cooler gasket and replaced that failure prone plastic fitting that attaches to the head with this trick aluminum piece from VTT. Full coolant change and fresh oil change.

I had the car running while it was still on jack stand so that I can look up form under the car to make sure nothing was leaking and noticed that my crank pulley had a horrible wobble to it. I am assuming that since my oil/coolant leak was pretty bad it ruined the pulley by degrading the rubber inside of it and now also needs to be replaced. This is probably one of the reasons why these cars have tendency to throw the belt that I keep seeing pop up on here.

Now looking to replace this part i have done the : and I see that this is a common failure. I am coming across a few options, there are two part numbers one for an auto and one for a manual. I have manual so of course its gonna be harder to find. I was able to find good used parts online for about $100 but all are stated for an auto. The brand new piece is $500+

So my question is are they really that different?
Can i use one off an auto?
Are there any aftermarket solutions that I can consider?
Does anybody here have one for a manual car I can buy?
If I have to buy the brand new part what are my options?

Asking the community because I CAN'T be the only one that has come across this problem.
The harmonic balancer is not even a remotely common problem for the e90.

I wouldn't buy a new harmonic balancer; I'd buy one on eBay or go to a junk yard and find a wrecked e90 335.

The only pulley you should think about upgrading is the power steering pulley. They make an aluminum one. This is because after 100,000 miles or so the engine mounts start to weaken. As a result, when you hit a good bump or pot hole the power steering pulley will hit the sub frame and crack/break causing the belt to shred and wrap around the crank. 9/10 this results in the belt being sucked into the front crank seal. If you are really unlucky, the shreds of belt will get caught on the timing chain & wreak havoc all over the engine. You basically have up take the valve cover off & oil pan off and clean all the various bits of rubber off the internals including the oil pump filter. Lots of fun, lots of fun!!!

The only way to counter act this known problem is to replace your engine mounts with 335is mounts or an after mkt Poly mount.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
raptorman5174
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6 speed

Does any one know if I can use one of an automatic car even though I have a 6 speed?

Does it matter? I found a used one off a DCT car. Technically that is a manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
Does any one know if I can use one of an automatic car even though I have a 6 speed?

Does it matter? I found a used one off a DCT car. Technically that is a manual.
Goto : www.bmwfans.com/info

Compare the part numbers
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Old thread, I know but here's my 2c:
They all fit as they all use the same length belt.
The manual ones are the lightest and the automatic ones are the heaviest. They are a tuned damper, not a balancer. On the rubber it will have the target frequency range cast on it.

eg. My manual N52 damper is about 2.5kg and targets 325-345Hz. I have an automatic N52 damper here weighing about 3.5kg which targets 350-365Hz. I believe the difference has something to do with the weight attached to the other end but I'd expect a DMF and clutch combo to be similar if not heavier than a fully filled torque converter.

I have seen fluid filled dampers being sold as suitable for N52 and N54 so who knows?

What did you end up fitting?
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      01-26-2022, 10:12 PM   #7
Kevindshea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i E91 RWD 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Old thread, I know but here's my 2c:
They all fit as they all use the same length belt.
The manual ones are the lightest and the automatic ones are the heaviest. They are a tuned damper, not a balancer. On the rubber it will have the target frequency range cast on it.

eg. My manual N52 damper is about 2.5kg and targets 325-345Hz. I have an automatic N52 damper here weighing about 3.5kg which targets 350-365Hz. I believe the difference has something to do with the weight attached to the other end but I'd expect a DMF and clutch combo to be similar if not heavier than a fully filled torque converter.

I have seen fluid filled dampers being sold as suitable for N52 and N54 so who knows?

What did you end up fitting?
Interested if u end up trying …it’s probably better than an old wonky balancer at least ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
bshambam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

I have the ATI damper. I never weighed it but there should be no problem installing it on an automatic vs a manual.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=99

IG: Shambam_makes
Twitter: B_Shambam
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      03-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
Skidmobile
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshambam View Post
I have the ATI damper. I never weighed it but there should be no problem installing it on an automatic vs a manual.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=99
Can you please summarize the befor and after of installing the damper and how much difference it makes.
I am thinking i need one but i cant find a single review anywhere.
Thank you
Appreciate 0