E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Lifter Tick?

05-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i 6MT

Lifter Tick?

Hey all,

I parked my car last night after doing a few pulls. Just flashed my car and I love it. 2011 BMW e92 N55 FBO MHD S2+. Noticed this like tapping sound coming on and off. Car seems like it's running fine, (AFR's, Rail Pressure, Oil Pressure) all normal. Is this tapping noise normal? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

IG: @Verifyez
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin__ View Post
Hey all,

I parked my car last night after doing a few pulls. Just flashed my car and I love it. 2011 BMW e92 N55 FBO MHD S2+. Noticed this like tapping sound coming on and off. Car seems like it's running fine, (AFR's, Rail Pressure, Oil Pressure) all normal. Is this tapping noise normal? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I have the same noise:

Only happens once engine is warm and oil temps are above 220 F. Since changing cooling target to the highest setting on MHD my oil temps stay around 210 and haven’t heard the noise since.

Sounds like it’s coming from valvetronic motor.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

i agree with above poster, i have had the same noise before after driving the car hard. It could be the valvetronic servo motor. i too use lower coolant targets and have not heard it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
i agree with above poster, i have had the same noise before after driving the car hard. It could be the valvetronic servo motor. i too use lower coolant targets and have not heard it.
Hmmm interesting. I use the stock coolant target. Also what a coincidence lol, I literally just got my car back like 2 days ago from it being down for like 2 weeks. I just had the valvetronic motor, relay and harness replaced haha.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm interesting. I use the stock coolant target. Also what a coincidence lol, I literally just got my car back like 2 days ago from it being down for like 2 weeks. I just had the valvetronic motor, relay and harness replaced haha.

well its just a speculation really at this point that the noise is coming from there.

I use to think it comes from the boost solenoid.. I dont know for sure.

All i know for sure is that i only would hear it after driving hard and idling only..

Once u press the gas even just slightly the noise right away disappears.

I heard this like a year ago and never had issues so i am not too concerned personally.
Appreciate 1
DiFFv189.50
      05-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well its just a speculation really at this point that the noise is coming from there.

All i know for sure is that i only would hear it after driving hard and idling only..

I heard this like a year ago and never had issues so i am not too concerned personally.
Yeah I posted this also on a few Facebook Groups I am in, and people were saying it's normal etc, so I am not too worried. Helps out when people like you guys help give me information etc so I'm not freaking out and shit lol. I heard a few people say it could be my boost solenoid, but I also seen a few videos of where the boost solenoid would be buzzing/humming. A couple days ago it did it once where it was buzzing/humming and my car did feel like it had some boost leak but not to sure. But that boost solenoid is an easy and simple fix so I'm not worried. Was mainly more worried about having to spend another few thousand if my car wasn't running right due to the sound haha, but I take it all is well and I should just have fun driving the car. For some reason my car actually pulls harder in 3rd gear than 2nd since I flashed the car. I peak at like 8-11psi on 2nd, then like 17-22psi on third. But thanks for the info tho! Appreciate it

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I posted this also on a few Facebook Groups I am in, and people were saying it's normal etc, so I am not too worried. Helps out when people like you guys help give me information etc so I'm not freaking out and shit lol. I heard a few people say it could be my boost solenoid, but I also seen a few videos of where the boost solenoid would be buzzing/humming. A couple days ago it did it once where it was buzzing/humming and my car did feel like it had some boost leak but not to sure. But that boost solenoid is an easy and simple fix so I'm not worried. Was mainly more worried about having to spend another few thousand if my car wasn't running right due to the sound haha, but I take it all is well and I should just have fun driving the car. For some reason my car actually pulls harder in 3rd gear than 2nd since I flashed the car. I peak at like 8-11psi on 2nd, then like 17-22psi on third. But thanks for the info tho! Appreciate it
Its all good. I think most of us share your worries with this platform. ITs not the most reliable platform.

The comment about the gear pull that will be true with MHD maps . My car does the same.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its all good. I think most of us share your worries with this platform. ITs not the most reliable platform.

The comment about the gear pull that will be true with MHD maps . My car does the same.
Good to know. Thanks brotha!!

Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      05-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
I have the same noise:

Only happens once engine is warm and oil temps are above 220 F. Since changing cooling target to the highest setting on MHD my oil temps stay around 210 and haven’t heard the noise since.

Sounds like it’s coming from valvetronic motor.
Valvetronic doesn't spin continuously like the cam does. It should be hardly making any movements at all at idle since valve lift request isn't changing much.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Valvetronic doesn't spin continuously like the cam does. It should be hardly making any movements at all at idle since valve lift request isn't changing much.
The motor is a servo motor, which is used in MANY electro mechanical applications. I am an embedded sw developer and understand very well how a servo motor works. But the motor here is part of the valve lift so although its not continuesly moving ( otherwise we would not call it a servo motor but a brushless dc or others) its still always part of the valve lift system. The valves are always moving so at some level it is connected. It could be a noise of some tension and release... We dont know. When we dont know all we can do is speculate. Unless u have the exact answer..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #11
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Quote:

I swapped in a new boost solenoid a few weeks ago and noise was still there so you can rule the solenoid out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #12
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
I swapped in a new boost solenoid a few weeks ago and noise was still there so you can rule the solenoid out.
Yes sorry i have done the same as well i didnt mention.

Same results.
Appreciate 0