E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > brake service keeps popping back up!!

05-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
bonomo335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

brake service keeps popping back up!!

so ive already replaced all the brake /abs sensors and the pads are in good shape. i reset the service light and a couple days later it pops up again for the front and back! its really annoying! anyone had this issue if so whats the proper way to fix it? thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
Gray335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

bad connection from the sensor to connector or cheap aftermarket sensor will do this . it happened to me after changing front brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

And this is why I don't bother with these useless sensors. I rolled mine up and tucked them away so I will never have to bother with changing them or have any service light.
      05-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

The sensors have to see continuity. Bad connections will do that.

New the sensors have continuity (0 ohms), and when nearly worn, it will show about 200 ohms. I guess between the two CBS can calculate the pad wear rate and give more definitive time and mileage to replacement point.

I run 2 sets of pads per rotor change, and on the second set the light will come on way early. Therefore, I too cut off an old sensor near the connector and tie the two wires together. Some senior members on the forum will scold you for that.

That being said, for others' cars I always use new sensors and they can put up with the warning light for safety reasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You haven't been clear on exactly what you did and how you did it for the recent brake work. You said you replaced the "ABS" sensors. ABS sensors are not the pad wear sensors, so I first want to make sure you just didn't have a typo; if you did really replace the ABS sensors, then you replace the wrong sensors. The pad sensors are just two (2) per car and cost about $20 each. ABS sensors are four (4) per car and are about $90 each. So you didn't explain how you replaced "all the brakes". When you replaced the brake pads, did you replace the pad sensor in the left front brake on the inner pad and the sensor in the right rear brake inner pad, and plug the sensors into there respective connectors? Also, did you follow the correct cable routing to prevent breakage of the new sensor harnesses?

If you properly replaced the pad wear sensors did you reset the system at that time? Did you know you had to reset the system back then, or did you just discover the system needs to be reset at the time the pad sensors are replaced? If you did not reset the system when you replaced the pad sensors, and the sensors had reached the 2nd stage of wear, adding new sensors, would confuse the CBS. I suggest, either (a) replace the brake pad sensors again and reset the system, or (b) just unplug both brake pad sensors from their connectors, then reconnect them, and reset the CBS.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-24-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
The sensors have to see continuity. Bad connections will do that.

New the sensors have continuity (0 ohms), and when nearly worn, it will show about 200 ohms. I guess between the two CBS can calculate the pad wear rate and give more definitive time and mileage to replacement point.

I run 2 sets of pads per rotor change, and on the second set the light will come on way early. Therefore, I too cut off an old sensor near the connector and tie the two wires together. Some senior members on the forum will scold you for that.

That being said, for others' cars I always use new sensors and they can put up with the warning light for safety reasons.
Senior member here

If one properly maintains the BMW E90 3-series brake system in accordance with BMW service specifications, you'll never have an error with the pad wear light. But if you are a dumbass, you will .
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
teflon_jones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335Xi 6 speed

How did you reset the service light? Just using the interior buttons on the car, or did you have a tool to do this, and if so which tool?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
How did you reset the service light? Just using the interior buttons on the car, or did you have a tool to do this, and if so which tool?
You can use the stalk method, just like when resetting the oil service indicator.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #9
bonomo335i
Rep

ok im changing the sensors tonight
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
bonomo335i
Rep

so i have a jb4 and now im getting check engine codes 29F4 and 29F5 catless downpipes detected? i thought the jb4 was suppose to ignore that? fixes??
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonomo335i View Post
so i have a jb4 and now im getting check engine codes 29F4 and 29F5 catless downpipes detected? i thought the jb4 was suppose to ignore that? fixes??
The newest firmware for JB4 does NOT suppress the o2 sensor codes anymore. They had to do this to be compliant with the EPA/CARB.

Either need to get a custom tune to get rid of them, or use a DP fix(but this should only be used when trying to pass an emission test and not year round)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
bonomo335i
Rep

boooooooooooooooooo
Appreciate 0