E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Need help with ongoing ABS issue

07-30-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
Mark e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Need help with ongoing ABS issue

My car had an ABS fault flag up around 6 months ago which just disappeared after switching the car off and on again. I plugged in the Carly app and it was saying rear left wheel speed sensor faulty but now with no error on the dash. This lasted around 6 months as i said and last week when i had my car full ( 5 people ) for the first time, the ABS fault has come back but now won't go away.

when the problem first occurred i diagnosed it as reluctor ring and sensor, I had ordered all the parts but never bother putting the car in for repair as all seemed to be fine on the dash and no faults except from on Carly which still showed rear left speed sensor.

The first garage i put the car into was just out of convenience as they are right next to my work, I explained the problem and the only part i gave them was the reluctor ring and let the get on with it, they had the car for 2 days and when i picked it up they told me the reluctor ring was fine and all it needed was a sensor however the car still wasn't sorted as they tried several different brand sensors that wouldn't work and they said to drop the car back in at a later date and it would need to be an OEM BMW sensor as the car won't read aftermarket ones.
I didn't have much confidence in this place after that as when the problem first occurred i removed the abs sensor myself and could clearly see the fault was the reluctor ring.

I have now taken the car to a highly recommended place who from the word go seemed to know their stuff a lot better that the previous place. They spent an hour or so on the car and phoned to say that its the reluctor ring that was the problem. Once they had finished the job and fitted the new ring and sensor they called me and said the ABS fault still remains ! He said he could keep digging to try and find the problem but warned me it could get expensive. He recons as all the parts have been replaced that its looking like a wiring fault or ECU fault !

Just thought i would post up hear and see if anyone has come across similar issues and can help me out ? Do you think the first garage could have a valid point in the fact that my car needs an OEM Sensor ? The car is due an MOT in 2 weeks and i really don't know what I'm going todo if i can't get this sorted out without spending more than the car is worth. Im tempted to order a sensor from BMW but the last thing i feel like doing just now is spending more money and yet again not fixing the problem.
      07-30-2016, 03:43 AM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

They don't need OEM sensors. I used Bosch at about £20 and all is good.

What are the actual codes you're getting?

It would be worth getting underneath and checking the sensor has actually been changed. You should be able to tell by how clean it is.

If you're that way inclined, swap the sensors from the faulty side and the good side and see if the fault follows as that will tell you it's a sensor fault.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
They don't need OEM sensors. I used Bosch at about £20 and all is good.

What are the actual codes you're getting?

It would be worth getting underneath and checking the sensor has actually been changed. You should be able to tell by how clean it is.

If you're that way inclined, swap the sensors from the faulty side and the good side and see if the fault follows as that will tell you it's a sensor fault.
Where did you get your Bosch sensors from?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Just switched the sensors round and now fault is showing rear right ! So I think the aftermarket sensors are the issue I belive it was pagid that was used.
      07-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

I seem to remember C3BMW but I've just checked and they're over £60.

A quick search and you can find them for much less than that although I may have been slightly out with my £20 figure e.g. http://m.mister-auto.co.uk/en/abs-se...0864_g412.html

It's definitely a sensor issue if it follows the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
marklemac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

Had a bosche sensor fitted today (£48) >> problem now all fixed. Ebay part is going back for a full refund
      08-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

I fitted my BMW sensor yesterday and all is well. Thank god ! I feel like giving the garage a ring that fitted the reluctor ring and sensor and who were adamant that an oem sensor wouldn't sort it and that the car had " big trouble " going on with either a wiring issue or ecu !

I'm just glad it's all sorted. Now to book an MOT .
      08-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
marklemac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklemac View Post
Had a bosche sensor fitted today (£48) >> problem now all fixed. Ebay part is going back for a full refund
just got my full refund from the ebay supplier after sending back the faulty sensor.