E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AUX not working HELP!

06-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
AUX not working HELP!

Wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same issue here.

I have a BMW e92 2009 CIC. Goal is to try and connect Android S6 via AUX to stream Spotify.

In my center compartment, I have a USB and AUX input. In theory, one would assume if I plug a AUX cable from my Phone into the AUX slot > go to Multimedia > select AUX. It should play whatever is playing on my phone, correct? however it is not working.

Checked, volume on both Phone and AUX volume menu is set to high.
I've also tried to connect Tune2air via bluetooth, it found the source, connected and paired but unable to hear any sound?

Any suggestions, would be appreciated.
      08-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
casper5
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2008 318i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 318i  [10.00]
Hey mate i have same problem as you..have no idea what to do.

My AUX input dont work + power supply with lighter dont work

Did you fix your problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe E92 N54

Nah, you guys need to get the famous Y-cable.
On one end, it plugs into that Aux port AND the USB port. On the other end it has either the 40 pin or the thunderbolt (whichever version you get for your particular iPhone). Then once you plug in your iPhone into the Y cable, and you change source input on your stereo headunit, you'll see the iPod show up.

As for Android, I'm not sure.

There is a whole matrix of compatibility depending on what version stereo you have, what options you have, and what phone you have.
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
PTMedg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' E93 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I use the "ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000B Bluetooth Adapter" onmy 09' e93 and have been very happy with it. has great range and the steering wheel track skip button still works, which was not the case on the first bluetooth adapter i purchased.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
casper5
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 318i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackOHammers View Post
Nah, you guys need to get the famous Y-cable.
On one end, it plugs into that Aux port AND the USB port. On the other end it has either the 40 pin or the thunderbolt (whichever version you get for your particular iPhone). Then once you plug in your iPhone into the Y cable, and you change source input on your stereo headunit, you'll see the iPod show up.

As for Android, I'm not sure.

There is a whole matrix of compatibility depending on what version stereo you have, what options you have, and what phone you have.
hmmm but why when i try connect my phone for charging..it doesnt charge at all

i connect this portable charger

https://www.google.hr/search?q=usb+c...KJAYBBr_acM%3A

tested it in my other car and there works...thats why i dont think its only Y cable solution
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep

You're mixing entirely different things here. You were talking about sending your audio signal through the aux port, and now you're talking about charging your phone through a really cheap cigarette light adapter. I don't see how things are related.

I wish I could find my 3-4 year old build thread on this. I have an official BMW Y cable in my armrest that plugs into the 3.5mm audio jack and the USB port there. Then I have an Apple 40 pin extension cord that runs from the center console, up through my dash. Inside the dash I have an official Apple 40 pin to Thunderbolt adapter. I have that part sticking out of my dash in a cosmetically pleasing way right below my ProClip phone mount. I dock my iPhone 6 into the ProClip and it charges my phone. I can also use apps like Audible, MP3 player, or whatever to play music through my headunit. I have the Base Professional stereo. Handsfree Bluetooth is done wirelessly and doesn't rely on my phone being docked.
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
casper5
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 318i  [10.00]
Quote:
You're mixing entirely different things here. You were talking about sending your audio signal through the aux port, and now you're talking about charging your phone through a really cheap cigarette light adapter. I don't see how things are related.

I wish I could find my 3-4 year old build thread on this. I have an official BMW Y cable in my armrest that plugs into the 3.5mm audio jack and the USB port there. Then I have an Apple 40 pin extension cord that runs from the center console, up through my dash. Inside the dash I have an official Apple 40 pin to Thunderbolt adapter. I have that part sticking out of my dash in a cosmetically pleasing way right below my ProClip phone mount. I dock my iPhone 6 into the ProClip and it charges my phone. I can also use apps like Audible, MP3 player, or whatever to play music through my headunit. I have the Base Professional stereo. Handsfree Bluetooth is done wirelessly and doesn't rely on my phone being docked.
I understand it very well buddy ..but if you see my first post in this thread i talk for both things...AUX and that adapter...

I tryed connect mp3 player , phone and it doesnt recognize in AUX
I tryed charge phone and it doesnt charging ( note. adapter is tested and it work on another car )

Is it possible that those 2 things isnt connected with car in my armrest?

BTW im gonna try find that your thread maybe it clear this situation
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

which unit in the boot do you have ?

TCU (not usb, but thought I'd mention as they all break) break all the time
MULF sometimes die
COMBOX, I've not seen posts about them being dead

if you are running 8 year old firmware in your car, why would you expect a new phone to work? they don't understand how to make them, don't follow standards on how to build (APPLE !!!) chuck them out in market before testing, and do updates every month after "owner bug testing"

HOW ARE BMW SUPPOSED TO BUILD SOFTWARE TO COPE WITH PRODUCTS THAT RUN COMPUTER CHIPS and OPERATING SYSTEMS NO ONE HAS INVENTED YET and SO WON'T BE IN MARKET FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS ?

pre 2010 you need to get car integration level update (1 hrs lab) at main dealer (they won't do the work !!!) or find a very good indie to help out

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep

Ah, I didn't know about those updates. Unfortunately, I'm Pre-LCI so I couldn't update the firmware on my Y-cable or the software. Just like you said.

Here is what I have for my phone setup. When I got the car, I had iPhone 4. I currently have iPhone 6S and it still works just fine.

I'll show you some pics. What is missing from my pics is the part where I fish the 40 pin extension cable through the middle console and up into the dash. Honestly, I followed a DIY I found on here about 3 years ago. So you should find it by search.

Parts:
Y-Cable
40 pin extension cable
40 pin to Thunderbolt adapter
KUDA base mount (has that OEM leather look, its nice)
ProClip Caddy
Attached Images

Last edited by SackOHammers; 08-19-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
casper5
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 318i  [10.00]
@botus - Like Sack said i also have Pre LCI so cant do that update

@SackOHammers - my armerst look like this ( see pic )

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...son/2008-2.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

old apple connector is 30 pin

30 pin adaptors to lightening can play up. cheap copies rather than genuine apple ones frequently play up and often don't work. there's quite a bit going on is some of these small cables that the Chinese copies don't understand and so they often fail to replicate the full features BM, Merc etc. intended.

sorry can't offer much more help, running latest software/firmware on everything is often the best starting point.

check other forums as the fault may well not be BM kit (although they sometimes work together and find a work around), later offering a fix when the phones hardware is at fault and the manu can't sort with their own software updates

In UK people on ebay are "selling" firmware flash, obviously you go to them to get it done. will be someone around near you, its just finding them that's far harder than it should be

for example
"FIRMWARE DOWNGRADE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE BMW CONNECTED DRIVE/BMW APPS WITHOUT ACTIVATION CODE CODE
THIS FIRMWARE ALSO OFFERS THE FULL 7 DIGIT POSTCODE IF YOU HAVE LATEST MAPS INSTALLED &
THIS FIRWARE WILL MAKE IT RECOGNIZE A COMBOX WHICH NORMALLY GIVES THE BELOW FUNCTIONS ONCE A COMBOX IS FITTED
-6NR BMW Apps i.e Facebook, Twitter, Web Radio, Pandora
-6NF Link, Music Player in mobile section Bluetooth audio streaming
-6FL USB/Audio interface Usb playback from Usb stick or Ipod
ONCE THE ABOVE UPDATE IS DONE YOU WONT NEED A FSC CODE TO ACTIVATE THE ABOVE FEATURES "

Last edited by BOTUS; 08-19-2016 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep

Agreed, when I researched and did my Y cable and 30 pin to thunderbolt adapter, I followed the advice of many. Use only genuine adapter. Anything else is folly and it'll play up. Thx for correction on pin count. I'm not an Apple guy. It's the old IDE cables and the Raspberry Pi that are 40 pin.

Is there a way to pop out your OEM phone cradle to get at the USB port so you can use a proper Y cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
casper5
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 318i  [10.00]
Quote:

Is there a way to pop out your OEM phone cradle to get at the USB port so you can use a proper Y cable?
Is this what you need mate?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...tion+for+phone

i just found this couse wonna more storage in my armrest and i dont need this cradle ( BT will still work without it )
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep

Not what I "need", because I don't have a phone cradle. But it is what I "meant", for you, because it looks like you have an old chunky cradle in there for an old phone. If you take that piece out, you might expose a USB port under there. Then you can use a proper Y cable. Anyway, that was my hope for you. But maybe it doesn't work that way. I'll admit, I didn't read that DIY thoroughly to see if it revealed a usable USB port under there.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
casper5
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 318i  [10.00]
Quote:
Not what I "need", because I don't have a phone cradle. But it is what I "meant", for you, because it looks like you have an old chunky cradle in there for an old phone. If you take that piece out, you might expose a USB port under there. Then you can use a proper Y cable. Anyway, that was my hope for you. But maybe it doesn't work that way. I'll admit, I didn't read that DIY thoroughly to see if it revealed a usable USB port under there.
Oh ok..yea i was thinking to do something like that..couse i really dont need this cradle...

What i notice is that lots guys have pb with AUX or USB or a cigarette plug connections , not just on this forum

My first tought is buy USB dock and put it in socket for cigarette plug for charging phone, i really didnt think that i need Y cable for that. ( now i see that it doesnt work like that )
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Can someone please shed some light here.

I have a Y-Cable and connected to an iPod.

however, my iPod is still not playing through the stereo system, any ideas? seems like its connected as the iPod display indicates that its connected to an accessory.

AUX volume is maxed. Not sure why its not working.
      10-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #17
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know about those updates. Unfortunately, I'm Pre-LCI so I couldn't update the firmware on my Y-cable or the software. Just like you said.

Here is what I have for my phone setup. When I got the car, I had iPhone 4. I currently have iPhone 6S and it still works just fine.

I'll show you some pics. What is missing from my pics is the part where I fish the 40 pin extension cable through the middle console and up into the dash. Honestly, I followed a DIY I found on here about 3 years ago. So you should find it by search.

Parts:
Y-Cable
40 pin extension cable
40 pin to Thunderbolt adapter
KUDA base mount (has that OEM leather look, its nice)
ProClip Caddy

That wire expose looks really bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #18
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep

Haha, in the photo like that up close, it looks horrible.
And when I first put it in I wasn't sure. I didn't think it looked too smooth. And I was going to get a black one instead. But when you're sitting in the car, it doesn't stick out and look too bad. The zoomed in picture is worse than reality. I often point it out to passengers to solicit their opinion and they say they don't really notice it when you're sitting in the seat. I've tried to get honest feedback and nobody will say it looks ghetto or bad. I fretted about it being white, but everyone seemed to agree since it is apple, that is the appropriate color. So, I just leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #19
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Can someone please shed some light here.

I have a Y-Cable and connected to an iPod.

however, my iPod is still not playing through the stereo system, any ideas? seems like its connected as the iPod display indicates that its connected to an accessory.

AUX volume is maxed. Not sure why its not working.
All the USB part of the Y-cable does, is to instruct the iPhone to play tracks/songs. The audio goes out the headphone port on the iPhone to the Aux in port in the car.

You can have the car's AUX in at max, but still have the iPhone's headphone volume all the way down or muted. Make sure this is not what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #20
0331brandon
Registered
Rep
Drives: White 335i

JESUS GUYS

ATTN I am having nearly the exact same problem as you are
The AUX isnt working.

I dont need any hacks...It straight up wont play from Apple or Android phones
It recognizes momentarily, never plays the music. Then it wont even recognize an AUX input at all.

Can anyone tell me on the back of the radio in the dash where the aux input (to the head unit) is? theres a promising suspect near a coax at the top corner separate from the main connector

I can circuit test from there. Shit i may as well just wing it since its already out

already replaced the AUX/USB chingadera in the console BTW
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #21
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Any updates on this guys? Any known fixes that worked for you? I have an Android phone. This y-cable workaround seems like it only works for an iPhone...

Anyone?

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447

Mulf 2 hi or combox will be located in the same position as the TCU
in the above document.

see page 36

In Europe there were some radio's that include the
usb and bluetooth in the radio but those weren't

Almost all US e90's as far as I know use the TCU
Mulf or combox for the aux /usb though it is possible for the aux to be connected directly to the radio/idrive.
Appreciate 0