E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Stage 2+ or E30 without downpipes

08-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
l3rett
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Stage 2+ or E30 without downpipes

For everyone who wonders about running higher MHD tunes without a downpipe my experience has been that you will get a lot of throttle closures at anything other than WOT. I think the problem is that exhaust does not evacuate as fast and pressure builds up. The boost can easily go over 20 psi in this case so the dme starts closing the throttle to protect the engine. At full throttle at higher rpms the turbo just can't provide enough boost to overboost. But at partial throttle at 4000ish rpms the boost can max out the standard TPM and the dme kicks in. I was running the E30 map without a downpipe and was getting a lot of throttle closures while passing at less than WOT. Switching to the 1+ 95 map fixed the problems. The main difference I see is slower boost onset. More turbo lag.
Appreciate 0