E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Welcoming your 320d reviews!

05-28-2021, 02:15 AM   #1
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Welcoming your 320d reviews!

I've been deciding on a new car for a while now and have realised that with my new glamorous lifestyle (6 week old daughter) I need something a little cheaper to run for now, however I cannot get over the looks of the e92!
My 325i is a little too costly to run right now and so I'm looking at an LCI 320d, which seem to be much less to run on a monthly basis.

I'm after quite a high spec one, but my question for everyone is basically how have they got on with the car if they've owned on? good parts/bad parts? anyone gone from the petrol straight six to the diesel 4 pot? I'm fully prepared for it to be less engaging however was considering a manual to maybe give it a nicer feel a little bit? what are people's thoughts on this? I know it being a diesel auto is best however my current car is auto and I think it makes it feel a little slower than it is, and also more boring!

Welcoming any chat!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 05:56 AM   #2
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

What running costs are you trying to reduce?
They're the same car except one will be slightly better on fuel than the other and a bit cheaper to tax. Are you really doing that many miles that you need the diesel?

Wouldn't be a change I would go for personally. Not given the timing chain issues with the N47. Write off quite a chunk of fuel saving if you have a £1k + bill for a new engine when the timing chain snaps.

I can't imagine that you'll be able to get a low mileage LCI with high spec for less than your current car as the 325i/330 e92 really are quite good value at the moment.

The only change to a diesel I would consider from my E92 330i is a 325/330d/335d E91.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
What running costs are you trying to reduce?
They're the same car except one will be slightly better on fuel than the other and a bit cheaper to tax. Are you really doing that many miles that you need the diesel?

Wouldn't be a change I would go for personally. Not given the timing chain issues with the N47. Write off quite a chunk of fuel saving if you have a £1k + bill for a new engine when the timing chain snaps.

I can't imagine that you'll be able to get a low mileage LCI with high spec for less than your current car as the 325i/330 e92 really are quite good value at the moment.

The only change to a diesel I would consider from my E92 330i is a 325/330d/335d E91.
Well the running costs would be the usual running costs that people refer to, not hard to think of them - fuel, tax, insurance.
The fuel would be miles better even with conservative figures, I average 25mpg when driving like a granny. Where as many people have cited figures in the 40mpg range when city driving, and even more on a motorway in a 320d. I've already estimated between 100-150 savings a month.

I'm not looking for a particularly low mileage one, I've already seen a few with full BMW history that have been looked after which is my preference. My car is a low spec pre lci SE model, meaning its easy to then find a higher spec LCI model when you downgrade the engine slightly, for the same price.

325/330/335d's are pointless to me right now, they have the same running costs as mine with marginally better mpg and you lose out on all the character of a petrol. At least with the 320d is is cheap to run which is my driving factor.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Running costs include a range of things - fuel, tax, insurance, brakes, tyres, servicing, consumables. My point is that a lot of those costs will still be the same. Insurance won't be much different, which just leaves tax and fuel. In fact going from a low spec car which probably has smaller wheels to a higher spec LCI one with bigger wheels, means the cost of the tyres will significantly increase for example.

Appreciate there will be a fuel saving but there are also additional risks in buying a higher mileage car, especially an N47 - which can very quickly swallow up some of the perceived monthly savings.

If money is tight maybe get something a bit different that will be substantially cheaper to run. You can always come back to the BMW another time.

I've done that before, went from BMW 130i LE to a 2004 1.2 VW Polo for a year and spent nothing on it other than £50 a week for 380 miles worth of fuel because I'd just bought a house and wanted to free up the cash in case I needed it. Then picked up my E92 with half the miles for half of what I sold the 130 for and even with only 45k on it, the E92 still needs some fettling now and again. Soon adds up.

Last edited by 0l0dom0l0; 05-28-2021 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
Running costs include a range of things - fuel, tax, insurance, brakes, tyres, servicing, consumables. My point is that a lot of those costs will still be the same. Insurance won't be much different, which just leaves tax and fuel. In fact going from a low spec car which probably has smaller wheels to a higher spec LCI one with bigger wheels, means the cost of the tyres will significantly increase for example.

Appreciate there will be a fuel saving but my point is there are also additional risks in buying a higher mileage car, especially an N47 - which can very quickly swallow up some of the perceived monthly savings.

If money is tight maybe get something a bit different that will be substantially cheaper to run. You can always come back to the BMW another time.

I've done that before, went from BMW 130i LE to a 2004 1.2 VW Polo for a year and spent nothing on it other than £50 a week for 380 miles worth of fuel.

Even my E92 with 45k on it needs some fettling now and again. Soon adds up.
That's a fair point and I appreciate the advice. I did not mention my car is quote modded so already has bigger wheels etc. I have considered going for a cheap little car like that - it may be something I have to go for eventually, however I'm managing okay right now I just wanted to save costs some more if possible, and still keep the beautiful E92 shape. Currently sitting at 45k on mine too and it wants for nothing so maybe it's worth thinking about that
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

If you're gonna change then I'd definitely go for the E91 as that will be so much easier to live with now you've got a baby and all the crap that goes with them. Nice decent sized boot to lob the pram / buggy in plus rear doors to make things nice and easy when you're getting little one in and out of her car seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Manual e91 330d. End of discussion.
4 pot diesel after a 6 pot petrol will always be disappointing.
We got back from a 650ish mile round trip few days away and averaged 51mpg in my e92 330d. Other running costs of the 3.0d over the 2.0d are negligible which the better sound and performance will more than make up for.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

If your reason for changing car is to save money, then I don't see the point of going from your 325i to a 320d. To change car will cost you money unless you do a straight swap. The running cost reduction I don't see as being significant enough to warrant the change. Any money you spend buying the new car you need to factor in to recoup before you start to actually save on the running costs. E.G if you spend an extra £1000 buying the new car then if you figure saving £100 a month running the 320d then it will be 10 months before you actually start to save any money.

As mentioned above the only real way to save on running costs is to buy cheaper to run car, something with a small engine that is cheap on parts e.g a ford or something.

I think what you really need to think about is what car is going to be suitable for a family, as mentioned above an E91 is good, I have one and my wife and 7 year old fit in nicely. Much more user friendly than a saloon or coupé.

Also if you live in a city or large town think about future LEZ zones that might crop up, any diesel older than 2015 will end up having to pay the charge. So you may be better off with a petrol car.

I went from a 320d to a 325d, doesn't use any more fuel really but way nicer to drive. Insurance and tax increase was minimal.

Just my tuppence worth.

Last edited by Silver Streek; 05-29-2021 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
If you're gonna change then I'd definitely go for the E91 as that will be so much easier to live with now you've got a baby and all the crap that goes with them. Nice decent sized boot to lob the pram / buggy in plus rear doors to make things nice and easy when you're getting little one in and out of her car seat.
Yep definitely will eventually, but don't need one right now as we have a family car. I eventually want to buy a dream spec e91 or f31 or whatever but for now the sale of my car wouldn't give me enough and I'm not putting any more down. I'm purely thinking of saving money in the meantime
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiS330d View Post
Manual e91 330d. End of discussion.
4 pot diesel after a 6 pot petrol will always be disappointing.
We got back from a 650ish mile round trip few days away and averaged 51mpg in my e92 330d. Other running costs of the 3.0d over the 2.0d are negligible which the better sound and performance will more than make up for.
Don't want an e91 yet and no point switching the diesel 3 litre as same running costs as mine and similar performance mines only marginally slower due to the increased weight of e93
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
If your reason for changing car is to save money, then I don't see the point of going from your 325i to a 320d. To change car will cost you money unless you do a straight swap. The running cost reduction I don't see as being significant enough to warrant the change. Any money you spend buying the new car you need to factor in to recoup before you start to actually save on the running costs. E.G if you spend an extra £1000 buying the new car then if you figure saving £100 a month running the 320d then it will be 10 months before you actually start to save any money.

As mentioned above the only real way to save on running costs is to buy cheaper to run car, something with a small engine that is cheap on parts e.g a ford or something.

I think what you really need to think about is what car is going to be suitable for a family, as mentioned above an E91 is good, I have one and my wife and 7 year old fit in nicely. Much more user friendly than a saloon or coupé.

Also if you live in a city or large town think about future LEZ zones that might crop up, any diesel older than 2015 will end up having to pay the charge. So you may be better off with a petrol car.

I went from a 320d to a 325d, doesn't use any more fuel really but way nicer to drive. Insurance and tax increase was minimal.

Just my tuppence worth.
Thanks mate appreciate your point.

Wouldn't spend any more than I sold my car for so would still start saving, don't need a family car yet just wanted something cheap to run that looks nice. Yeah looks like that's the way to go buying a cheap small engine yet there aren't any nice looking ones which puts me off
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:32 PM   #12
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Reasons View Post
Thanks mate appreciate your point.

Wouldn't spend any more than I sold my car for so would still start saving, don't need a family car yet just wanted something cheap to run that looks nice. Yeah looks like that's the way to go buying a cheap small engine yet there aren't any nice looking ones which puts me off
It is difficult trying to think of another car to buy once you have had a well sorted BMW that's nice to drive.

I'm on my third BMW because I could just never find another car for the same money that was as nice to drive and look at.

Good luck with your car hunt.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #13
84Reasons
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
It is difficult trying to think of another car to buy once you have had a well sorted BMW that's nice to drive.

I'm on my third BMW because I could just never find another car for the same money that was as nice to drive and look at.

Good luck with your car hunt.

There mate
Yep exactly the issue I'm having, may be stuck here forever. Even the diesel BMW is a step down as the petrol has such character
Appreciate 0