E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tim_s's 325i n53 e91 lci with 330i flash and 3 stage manifold

06-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
tim_s
Private
Rep
Drives: e91 325 and e36 m3 evo

Small update. The 330i map's been on for a while now and am very happy with it. Feels stronger than the generic flash, which itself felt better than the factory 325 map. There are no DTCs or errors and it works great. I'm pretty chuffed!
Another job ticked off the list was replacing front brake hoses which although they looked fine to me were an advisory on the mot. Not a lot to report, but thought it was worth posting about my experiences as they might be helpful to someone else. I bought some HEL ones as the fitment was excellent on the e36 (better than the goodridges I used to have), experience wasn't quite so good on the e90.
Issue was that the hose doesn't thread as far into the unions on the brake lines as the factory lines which in turn meant they didn't bottom out and the spring clamp didn't secure the union between the line and the hose properly. I emailed HEL and they said a bit of movement was fine, but I wasn't happy with this as I think the vibration could cause work hardening of the brake lines. Plus I like things to be right. So in the end I ended up fitting some washers which actually were for the front struts of the e36 that I'd not got around to fitting which allowed the hoses to be secured correctly in the holder.
Before:

Photo showing how the new hoses don't thread in as far as the originals (see the clean bit on the thread):

Job finished with washers to ensure they are secured properly:

Unfortunately I've tweaked one of the brake lines a bit where the union was siezed on so will probably buy another line off BM and replace to keep everything A1.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #24
tim_s
Private
Rep

Thought I'd give this running report a bit of an update. Bought this car on 94k and recently went over the 100k mark, so have got to know it quite well now.
Since last time, replaced the brake line to the driver's side front mentioned above with a BMW one. Normally make my own kunifer ones but seemed a bit pointless when the BMW replacement was cheap and easily fitted:

And have gradually been working through making sure the DME runs without any DTCs. When I bought the car it gave lambda and nox errors from time to time, and sounded like a diesel on idle - but all the n53s I looked at were equally noisy. Regardless I thought I'd start by upgrading to index 11 injectors. There was a mixture of index 9 and 3 on there. Bought 3 new from BMW, 3 second hand, and got a bit creative to fit new seals to the used ones - I used a wine stopper to act as the stretching tool, and the caps supplied with the new injectors to squash the seals to the correct shape. Coded them using INPA.
End result was more or less unchanged running and if anything it's noisier than before! Quite disappointing, will have another look at it a while later, I suspect one of the replacement injectors is potentially quite noisy but need to do some further testing. I managed to sell the old injectors for a decent rate on ebay so overall the upgrade wasn't so bad, and is good to know that I'm running on the latest revision across the board.

Also picked up a new nox sensor and fitted that. This resolved the nox errors. Now the DME runs without throwing any DTCs which I'm pretty happy with given the number it used to throw! The only error the car as a whole gives now is for the AUC sensor for the recirculation of the AC, otherwise everything's all good. Need to check at some point whether a previous owner has left the AUC sensor unplugged or something.

I also fitted a M performance exhaust. I was a bit worried from experience with eisenmanns on my m3 and alpina exhausts that it would be too noisy, but if anything it's a bit on the quiet side! If I had my time again, I'm not sure I'd bother doing it, I think I also prefer the way the original one looks. I bought the 330 one with the flap in it as it's running the 3 stage intake and the 330 map, but I've not connected the flap up.
Old:

New:

And lastly, some silly bulbs, both angels and the h7 mains for LEDs. Would like to fit some projectors for the LEDs, but no rush.

Thanks for reading, next time hopefully I'll have had some time to invest in comparing the 325, 330 and the generic flash map to see if I can begin to understand these DMEs. I'm not sure I'll alter anything for my car, I think the 330 map is fine for me, but would be interesting to see what vanos timing and ign advance etc it runs for academic reasons! I've not got an A2L/DAMOS or anything for this DME which would really help things along.
Figuring out how to alter the BMW 330 binary to work on the 325 was by far my favourite achievement on this car and is my favourite mod!
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #25
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

My PE definitely took a few thousand miles to properly burn in. Just an excuse to drive the car more
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #26
tim_s
Private
Rep

Thought I'd give a little bit more detail on here about the 330 n53 map due to getting a few PMs about it. You can't flash a BMW N53 330 map onto a 325 because the power class in the DME and in the CAS must match, BMW use this handshake to ensure that you cannot flash from a more powerful model onto a lower power model - exactly what we're trying to do here. This mechanism is used in several different BMW DMEs where there is a significant power bump by remapping alone. There are many approaches to getting around this, but what I've done here is some binary modification (and subsequent checksum correction!) on the dme to still handshake as a 325 while all the rest of the data is from a 330. Other than this change the binary is unchanged, it is identical to a 330 ecu other than that it will work in a 325; it reports as a 330i software version. This is quite a different approach to the generic flash file that is available at many places (which still reports itself as the original software version). Having said that, on this car also I had pretty good results using a generic flash (which I bought from a company on the internet and flashed on myself), I just prefer to have the car running original BMW software and think that this is the better approach as I now know for certain the ECU is identical to a 330.
Hope this helps, any questions please feel free to ask on here! I'm happy to perform this on anyone's 325 for a small contribution (less than a generic flash!) to recover some of the costs/risk I invested in this and the tooling.
Tim

Last edited by tim_s; 01-03-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #27
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E60 530i

Hi Tim, great work you've done there.

I have a question in regards to flashing the MSD80 DME with WINKFP, did you use a standard OBD or ICOM cable?

I've done firmware updates on my EGS, DAB modules using WINKFP and OBD cable without issues, I'm just reluctant to try flashing my DME so I would like your expert opinion on this, many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #28
tim_s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew88 View Post
Hi Tim, great work you've done there.

I have a question in regards to flashing the MSD80 DME with WINKFP, did you use a standard OBD or ICOM cable?

I've done firmware updates on my EGS, DAB modules using WINKFP and OBD cable without issues, I'm just reluctant to try flashing my DME so I would like your expert opinion on this, many thanks.
I'm very cautious to advise knowing how easy it is to brick a Tricore ECU and given I had other tools and a backup that I could reflash on, so obviously do your own research and always be prepared for the worst, but for a post 2007 car you need DCAN, pre 2007 KLine. A general K+DCAN USB lead with a FTDI FT232R in it should be fine, and if you can read the DME with WinKFP and program other modules, you should be good to go. What are you trying to flash on?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #29
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
I'm very cautious to advise knowing how easy it is to brick a Tricore ECU and given I had other tools and a backup that I could reflash on, so obviously do your own research and always be prepared for the worst, but for a post 2007 car you need DCAN, pre 2007 KLine. A general K+DCAN USB lead with a FTDI FT232R in it should be fine, and if you can read the DME with WinKFP and program other modules, you should be good to go. What are you trying to flash on?
Hi Tim, thanks for quick reply.

I have a D-CAN OBD cable originally bought from BMtechnic which went bust a few years ago so can pretty much trust it, used it many times to flash EGS for the sport auto firmware without issues using a external power supply, but I've heard horror stories of failed flash on certain modules with signature check errors at the end resulting in bricked ECU's. What's the chances of a BMW indy recovering my failed flash should this happen?

My E60 530i N53 DME has a very old version is firmware zub 7611492, my WINKFP with latest datum has identified a new version zub 8603176, according to www.bimmerprofs.com later versions have better mis-fire / rough running algorithms so less chances of incorrectly diagnosing cylinder mis-fires which is so common on our N53 DI engines.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #30
Mate
Rep
Drives: e93 n53

Also looking forward to find stock software version number for e93 330i 2008 n53b30.
Any idea where to find ?

P.S Great Job Tim
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #31
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Also looking forward to find stock software version number for e93 330i 2008 n53b30.
Any idea where to find ?

P.S Great Job Tim
If you have INPA you can check all the firmware revisions under the UIF menu.
WINKFP flash tool will automatically prompt you if a newer version of firmware is available (depending on your datum level you have loaded).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #32
tim_s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew88 View Post
Hi Tim, thanks for quick reply.

I have a D-CAN OBD cable originally bought from BMtechnic which went bust a few years ago so can pretty much trust it, used it many times to flash EGS for the sport auto firmware without issues using a external power supply, but I've heard horror stories of failed flash on certain modules with signature check errors at the end resulting in bricked ECU's. What's the chances of a BMW indy recovering my failed flash should this happen?

My E60 530i N53 DME has a very old version is firmware zub 7611492, my WINKFP with latest datum has identified a new version zub 8603176, according to www.bimmerprofs.com later versions have better mis-fire / rough running algorithms so less chances of incorrectly diagnosing cylinder mis-fires which is so common on our N53 DI engines.
No worries - I know nothing about the BM Technic cable, so won't comment about that, but on checksum errors I think there was a bug with firmware on some DCOM cables that caused some dodgy bytes to get written on certain DMEs which in turn resulted in checksums not matching and giving the signature check failed error. Trying to revert would also fail for the same reason. Simply reflashing using WinKFP on a setup that works should fix that issue.
I doubt an indy would have other software that can read/write a Tricore ECU, but anyone who can (like me!) should be able to restore a DME bricked by winkfp in that manner. Having said all that, I'd trust an indy to do the job if they've a set up that they use that has worked on other cars. You're not too far from me, if you got stuck I should be able to help - even without a read of your ECU.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #33
tim_s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Any idea where to find ?

P.S Great Job Tim
Thanks
If you look in the SP Daten you can find out what ZBs are applicable to the DME and in turn what build code the ZB applies to. But as I say over PM, the flash won't work on your 325, you'll get the 'engine fault' error I show earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No worries - I know nothing about the BM Technic cable, so won't comment about that, but on checksum errors I think there was a bug with firmware on some DCOM cables that caused some dodgy bytes to get written on certain DMEs which in turn resulted in checksums not matching and giving the signature check failed error. Trying to revert would also fail for the same reason. Simply reflashing using WinKFP on a setup that works should fix that issue.
I doubt an indy would have other software that can read/write a Tricore ECU, but anyone who can (like me!) should be able to restore a DME bricked by winkfp in that manner. Having said all that, I'd trust an indy to do the job if they've a set up that they use that has worked on other cars. You're not too far from me, if you got stuck I should be able to help - even without a read of your ECU.
You gave me the will power to attempt my DME flash, I've now done successfully

Let see how she runs with the latest firmware.

Once again thanks for you help an encouragement on the subject, and by the way are you in the re-mapping trade or just do this for hobby.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #35
tim_s
Private
Rep

Great job!! Glad it worked out. Let me know how it runs with the update.
Remapping is just a hobby, I've variously over the years set up a few cars on standalone management (inc my e30 on megasquirt), I did a lot of my learning on the MSS50 out of the s50b32 - I learnt to do some very fancy things on that ecu including modifying the program to use a bigger map for the alpha-n /MAF-failure table and altering the vanos angles (more s54-like on the inlet cam) and various parameters. That all started from wanting to switch off the secondary air pump and alter the base fuelling and LTFTs to suit some uprated EV6 injectors and, well, spiraled a bit!
My latest project is decompiling a piece of software for Porsches to try to understand how to code/activate functions, mainly so that I can enable cruise control on my boxster, but also for the educational value.
I've been meaning to have a closer look at the N53 MSD80 binaries and have a look at some of the maps, but it's just finding the time - I'm not particularly motivated because I'm happy running a standard 330 map so it would just be for interest. Having said that I'd love to see the torque limiter (torque vs load) map, bet you it's seriously hamstrung on the 325 map. I've seen a few folk fitting air filters and performance exhausts to factory 325s which just seems like a complete waste of time on a torque limited dme - a reflash on these is by far the best bang for buck modification, it transforms the car. I'd also like to have a look at the generic flash I bought and see how that compares to the factory 330 map (they're very different!). Sadly my xdf for the n53 is currently very empty! I don't have a DAMOS/A2L for it either.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #36
smellypoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI M Sport

Great post Tim, nice car you have there and excellent work on upping it power wise from 325i - 330i.

I've also recently bought an N53 325i, now the injectors have been replaced the engine seems to be running fine! Might be just the right time to pickup a new inlet manifold...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #37
tim_s
Private
Rep

Congratulations on the purchase! Did you go for new injectors? How noisy is it on idle? I'd definitely reflash over the inlet manifold, having said that I never ran mine with a 330 map and 325 inlet, but my suspicion is it makes far more difference even at low rpm and part load than the disa valves. Changing the inlet manifold is a good opportunity to have a poke around to see whether the inlet ports are coked up however.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:00 AM   #38
angry_feet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 MSport

Hi Tim I've just seen your post. Nice work on the car, Iv had mine 5 years now and have also done the 330i conversion with manifold and mosselman remap. I took it to a rolling road and got a terrible power curve though even though the power has been increased. Where did you map yours and what is this about a DME?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #39
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_feet View Post
Hi Tim I've just seen your post. Nice work on the car, Iv had mine 5 years now and have also done the 330i conversion with manifold and mosselman remap. I took it to a rolling road and got a terrible power curve though even though the power has been increased. Where did you map yours and what is this about a DME?

Thanks
Interested what power and torque you had, do you mind posting it?

I had my standard N53 530i dyno'd last month and got 244bhp / 248lbs.ft my curves were really flat smooth albeit down on top end power.

Here's my dyno graphs http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1238464&page=2
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #40
tim_s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_feet View Post

Thanks
Hi,
I did the work to mine myself. I didn't really 'map' it as the maps are all factory 330 maps, so I didn't actually tune anything. I flashed it myself with some modifications so it will work in a 325. It even has a 330 ZB. DME = Digital Motor Electronics, the ECU.
I don't know anything about mosselman but looks like they probably flash on the same flash files as everywhere else.

Be good to see the different rolling road printouts for comparison. Interesting how the 530i dips at 4,5k, maybe that's to do with the disa, if you compare say to this N52:
http://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20642
it shows a bump at the same place.
Actually looking at
https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/wp-co...ce_package.jpg
that N53 does the same as yours and dips there.
It's interesting that yours seems relatively strong lower down it's at the top where it's just not making the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
smellypoo
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations on the purchase! Did you go for new injectors? How noisy is it on idle? I'd definitely reflash over the inlet manifold, having said that I never ran mine with a 330 map and 325 inlet, but my suspicion is it makes far more difference even at low rpm and part load than the disa valves. Changing the inlet manifold is a good opportunity to have a poke around to see whether the inlet ports are coked up however.
Cheers! So when I bought the car, it had a rough idle from a cold start - it'd start absolutely fine, then within a second or two 'go rough', then get a bit better once the engine had warmed up - it was pretty obvious that there were one or two cylinders that had a problem so decided to take it to a BMW specialist a friend recommended (BMS Surrey) who took a look. They confirmed that I needed 2 new injectors, turned out that they were both index 4 and the rest were index 11 - so I had them put 2 new index 11 injectors in. After that, it's running smooth.

It was 'noisier' on idle prior to the new injectors, mostly because you could hear it was running rough (as well as feel it in the car, and see/hear/smell it at the exhaust) - now it's actually pretty quiet but you can hear (what I think are) the injectors ticking - but it's not loud. I hope the rest of the engine is in good health, it seems to be at the moment!

I'd certainly need to take a look at the inlet ports, I imagine they're pretty grotty but I'll probably wait until it's a bit warmer out! If I do go for the map (more likely than not) I'll try to get hold of a manifold, but will do it without if there isn't one available at the time. I hope it'll also improve the economy a little (hovering around an average of 25MPG at the moment according to the OBC), I also have a Z4 3.0 with the old M54 engine - it's less thirsty and noticeably quicker but then it's also more powerful (at least compared to the current N53 tune on the 325i) and probably a bit lighter.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #42
tim_s
Private
Rep

Ah, I was under the impression with the index 11 injectors that it was recommended not to mix and match, or at least to replace a whole bank. Do you know if they re-coded afterwards?
My inlet valves looked ok considering it had done 95k... still worth having a look on direct injection engines I think. 25mpg is pretty low, the OBC on mine is showing 36mpg but I do a fair bit of motorway driving at a sensible speed! The economy unsurprisingly improved most after replacing the dodgy nox sensor.
M54 is a great engine, I've had a couple - had a e46 330i coupe many years ago. They always make good power and pull very strongly throughout, having said that I'd expect the N53 to be more economical, and when sorted quicker too even if in the e90!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #43
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

When my injectors were done last year I had one faulty and they replaced the lot. Apparently that's what the PUMA document is now recommending. As a minimum I think it's not recommended to mix and match on banks.Since mine were done the car has ran great for a good 9 months now
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:25 AM   #44
smellypoo
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I was under the impression with the index 11 injectors that it was recommended not to mix and match, or at least to replace a whole bank. Do you know if they re-coded afterwards?
My inlet valves looked ok considering it had done 95k... still worth having a look on direct injection engines I think. 25mpg is pretty low, the OBC on mine is showing 36mpg but I do a fair bit of motorway driving at a sensible speed! The economy unsurprisingly improved most after replacing the dodgy nox sensor.
M54 is a great engine, I've had a couple - had a e46 330i coupe many years ago. They always make good power and pull very strongly throughout, having said that I'd expect the N53 to be more economical, and when sorted quicker too even if in the e90!
That's my understanding (and that of the garage) as well - from the background of the car, it looks as though it was BMW (one or more of their dealerships) that have replaced injectors over the years, the 2 index 4 injectors are likely to have been original to the car. The garage did recode following the installation of the 2 new index 11s. The NOX sensor has apparently been changed in the past, I'm guessing it's fine as I don't have any error codes and there are no obvious running issues.

I'll be taking the car on a 'run' sometime over the next few weeks, so will see how it does with motorway mileage, it should (hopefully!) improve considerably as I'm mostly using it for commuting at the moment.
Appreciate 0