E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Can you drift an "xi"?

04-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #23
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
um I know some one drifted through a u turn and did well till he kissed the jersey barrier lol cough cough

who wants to go try this out
LOL!!!

prolly tried the old handbrake manuever and FAILED!
      05-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #24
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

From what I understand AWD is very difficult to drift. It appears that drivers tend to use the "Scandinavian flick" (aka feint drift) to encourage the car to drift around a corner but this requires a lot of speed into the corner and a lot of bravery. Also using throttle in a modern AWD seems to straighten the car rather than encourage drifting...so it seems you may want to lay off on the throttle until you want to straighten out...and also perhaps try lift-off oversteer (kansei drift).

See Tiff trying to drift the RS4 and see how the car wants to correct itself....but you have to admit the drift angles are HUGE! Tiff seems to use a variety of skills to get the car sideways...whereas Jason Plato just uses the torque to initiate your typical/traditional RWD powerslide.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #25
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
i know someone personally who's a professional track driver. he drives a X5 4.4i and got his X5 to go sideways. so, i'm sure u can get ur 3er sideways too.
2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #26
Heesh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
agree - I think x-drive can even send 100% to one tire.....but its the one with traction, not the one spinning and slipping. in true drifting you need the rear tires spinning and slipping under power.
Wrong, read the x-drive literature, there are no LSD's between the two front or two rear tires, only a center differential that shifts power front to rear. Side to side is still mitigated by the brakes. Pseudo all wheel drive is really two wheel drive as opposed to the one wheel drive of the RWD model.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #27
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heesh View Post
Wrong, read the x-drive literature, there are no LSD's between the two front or two rear tires, only a center differential that shifts power front to rear. Side to side is still mitigated by the brakes. Pseudo all wheel drive is really two wheel drive as opposed to the one wheel drive of the RWD model.

"I think x-drive can even send 100% to one tire"

well I guess if it uses the brakes to send 100% of the power to one wheel then I guess I am right. have you been over the x5 course where you drive over surfaces where at one point only one tire gets traction? I have - and what happens is all of the power gets delivered to that one tire.