E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 water pump intermittent 2E83 + 2E85 but drives fine

11-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

N54 water pump intermittent 2E83 + 2E85 but drives fine

The 2E83 2E85 codes are the popping up intermittently after the horrific Voltage Regulator failure. I replaced the VR and it starts and runs all normal.
I got 83k miles on this water pump now. Got 178k miles total. 2nd pump failure.

2E83 being pump low power mode and 2E85 being pump communication problem.
I checked with Inpa and both occurs at the exact time.

Should I replace it or leave it as is and take chances?
And if I do replace it hopefully the codes won't come back.
Because something tells me they might come back anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

I'm not an expert on those codes, but I do know that any more than 70k miles on an n54 water pump and you are on borrowed time. I would do the water pump and t-stat as preventive maintenance now and hopefully not be stranded on the side of the road next week.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker87 View Post
I'm not an expert on those codes, but I do know that any more than 70k miles on an n54 water pump and you are on borrowed time. I would do the water pump and t-stat as preventive maintenance now and hopefully not be stranded on the side of the road next week.
I just came out of garage finishing off new VDO water pump, new t-stat, U-coolant hose and fresh new coolant.

Guess what! I'm steaming mad right now...the same codes popped up again. 2E83 and 2E85. I idled it for few minutes and they popped up.
I was skeptical that the new pump won't fix the code before the job...and it surely didn't!

Ever since about 2 months ago the Voltage Regulator on alternator died and whole bunch of weird things happened like windshield wiper turning on by itself, DSC, ABS, etc lit up, killed 2 week old battery.
I replaced the VT and things were back to normal EXCEPT the 2 aforementioned codes randomly popup.

I decided to replace them since I have 83k miles on the pump/t-stat.
I gonna look into the BSD related.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:41 AM   #5
vladkuzmich
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post
I just came out of garage finishing off new VDO water pump, new t-stat, U-coolant hose and fresh new coolant.

Guess what! I'm steaming mad right now...the same codes popped up again. 2E83 and 2E85. I idled it for few minutes and they popped up.
I was skeptical that the new pump won't fix the code before the job...and it surely didn't!

Ever since about 2 months ago the Voltage Regulator on alternator died and whole bunch of weird things happened like windshield wiper turning on by itself, DSC, ABS, etc lit up, killed 2 week old battery.
I replaced the VT and things were back to normal EXCEPT the 2 aforementioned codes randomly popup.

Hello, 2fast4
I have the same failure codes as you and I replaced my pump just a few months ago, checked out my battery voltage and it is seems fine to me.
Have you found the cause of this failure codes? Have you solved this problem?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4 View Post

the guys from the youtube channel Zeroto60 had a similar issue, turned out to be corrosion on the bulkhead terminals in the battery compartment. You might have to do some youtube searches to find their video on the subject, at work now so unable to link it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
the guys from the youtube channel Zeroto60 had a similar issue, turned out to be corrosion on the bulkhead terminals in the battery compartment. You might have to do some youtube searches to find their video on the subject, at work now so unable to link it.
I still have the same 3 codes(2E83, 2E85, 2E8B) popping up...I just ignore them as the car drives fine. I clear the logs time to time. I run the coolant bleeding and etc and works fine.
I chatted with a different guy on Youtube OGPedXing with same problem.
I did replaced the battery negative cable, battery power distribution box, VR, waterpump/t-stat, battery(it fried it and luckily it was under full warranty).

The VR f*ed up so many things with lingering logs after many years later.
The VR replacement should be replaced soon if you got nearing 170k mileage. That's when my problem happened.

VR replacement should be a TOP MAINTENANCE ALERT on all E9X cars.
If you snooze, you loose. It kills all the parts I mentioned. VERY EXPENSIVE AND DOWN TIME. The infamous WP problem is nothing compared to VR.

VR is dirt cheap and easy job compared to what it destroys.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
Dan_316i
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

I had same 3 error codes(2E83, 2E85, 2E8B) few months ago and I ignored them also, till one day when my car broke down on a mountain road.
My 335i was taken directly to the electromechanic and he found that generator is not working proper and needs to be refurbished. In same time he realized that improper functioning of generator had demage the battery.
In the end battery was changed with new one from Bosch and original BMW generator had internal parts replaced also with Bosch pieces.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #9
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Dan. It's been 1.5 years ago and I put about 12k miles since this happened. I replaced the VR(not Bosch, aftermarket to get it fast). New Walmart AGM battery.

The problem went away except the nagging 3 codes. 2 codes 2E83/2E85 logs in exactly the same amount of frequency. 2E8B is more or less.

The battery lately seems to be less strong enough and sometimes clock/trip/mpg gets reset and weak cranking power...I attributed this to lack of charging time since I don't drive much lately. Battery voltage reading before starting = 11.8v. After starting = 14.1v.
Otherwise, all is normal.

Can you give specifics to what alternator's "internal parts" were replaced? I assume VR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_316i View Post
I had same 3 error codes(2E83, 2E85, 2E8B) few months ago and I ignored them also, till one day when my car broke down on a mountain road.
My 335i was taken directly to the electromechanic and he found that generator is not working proper and needs to be refurbished. In same time he realized that improper functioning of generator had demage the battery.
In the end battery was changed with new one from Bosch and original BMW generator had internal parts replaced also with Bosch pieces.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #10
Dan_316i
Registered
Rep

With pleasure I said to write you my experience because I saw your post from April.

My generator was refurbished in the past by previous owner with poor quality china parts. What I understood is that problems appeared from collector ring and extended to VR.
At my car battery voltage was reading before starting = 10.75v, after starting = 14.8v, but generator had moments when it freez without dash notification.

Has been changed:
- diode bridge
- VR
- collector ring
- bushings
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #11
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You've had the problem AFTER rebuilding the alternator by previous owner?
I'm guessing that he had the popular VR problem and he got the alternator rebuilt, while at it, with what turned out to be inferior parts? And you had the 3 codes popping up but you ignored the codes till you broke down and you had the parts replaced with quality parts?

I'm searching for the "rebuild kit" and there is none I can find for 335i n54.
At least I have the working VR, so ideally, I'd need to get Diode bridge, collector ring, and bushings(is that bearings?).
I see bunch of rebuild kit for BMW 740i or 335D but not 335i with all the parts mentioned.

I know another guy on Youtube having the same problem and he ignored it w/o any ill effects. But I'd like to rebuild it anyhow. I got 188k miles on it.

To people who have not experienced this problem, it's the 2 BRUSHES(actually 2 carbon metal sticks on the VR) that wear down over time and get too short to touch the spinning rotor part in the alternator. Mine occurred at 177k mileage. If you are nearing this, get the VR replaced ASAP! It's like $40 part and easy to do. Otherwise, it'll kill battery, water pump, IBS, god knows what else, and huge down time and mechanic shop. VR can be replaced by a novice. Easy job. Youtube Vehicular DIY shows how to. I was lucky the battery was 10 days old and so got it warrantied. Water pump was 83k miles old so it was time to replace it along with thermostat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_316i View Post
With pleasure I said to write you my experience because I saw your post from April.

My generator was refurbished in the past by previous owner with poor quality china parts. What I understood is that problems appeared from collector ring and extended to VR.
At my car battery voltage was reading before starting = 10.75v, after starting = 14.8v, but generator had moments when it freez without dash notification.

Has been changed:
- diode bridge
- VR
- collector ring
- bushings

Last edited by 2fast4; 05-19-2021 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
Dan_316i
Registered
Rep

Previous owner rebuilt the alternator with noname parts from china, I had problems afterwards and on my turn I rebuilt again alternator with parts from Bosch and now is ok.
In Europe there is no complete repair kit, the parts were purchased individually according to codes founded in the Bosch catalog.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:59 PM   #13
rlaugo
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet

Thank you for your responses, gentlemen. Thank you for the information.
Appreciate 0