E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Supercharger stuff (MILVs+AA+BPC)

08-07-2020, 07:27 AM   #969
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minutes2Midnight View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that the conti belt y'all recommended fits the 110mm pulley perfectly and fixed all of my slipping issues!
Yay!!
      08-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #970
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Bought an engine
Now for reseal stuff :')
      08-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #971
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that the conti belt y'all recommended fits the 110mm pulley perfectly and fixed all of my slipping issues!
Yeah, the one that came with kit before suck! Glad it worked for you, and found same reason I switched too. Cheers
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #972
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Long block is here
Just ordered gasket sets, vanos & ecs sensors, aluminum bolt sets, tensioner, deflector pulley, plugs, Delphi coils (they look pretty snazzy), thermostat & waterpump refresh, mishimoto thermostat, and CSF radiator, fresh Luk clutch. Trying redline oil this time around for funsies. Wanted to look into different coolants, but I kinda just defaulted to oem shit from the therm/waterpump refresh kit.
Inquired with Bob to see what meth kit / config would work best (aside from power levels, I feel like he should be super savvy about what I should be looking for). He is developing some cooling means — waiting intently for that before I run the car for anything other than parking it. About to ping ESS for a new pulley given the safeties that will be in place. I'd order a new belt to match everything, but if I'm able to change the pulley... you know the rest. It's just toooooo effing hot right now in the motherland to run this car without the safeties in place. I'm trying to piece together that sweet setrab oil cooler that was fabbed up in the past couple years. May not do a whole lot, but something is better than nothing. I love this car lmao. Fml. I'll keep y'all up to date on this shit show.
      08-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #973
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
The CSF radiator does not help at all. Assuming it is the same as the n54 version. Save your money and keep the stock one unless it is damaged. That is the consensus from everyone who has tracked their car with it from everything I have read.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #974
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
The CSF radiator does not help at all. Assuming it is the same as the n54 version. Save your money and keep the stock one unless it is damaged. That is the consensus from everyone who has tracked their car with it from everything I have read.
Are you serious? heck
Well... in your honest opinion, should I think about returning it even if the radiator in my car is the oem shid from like 2005???
      08-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #975
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Are you serious? heck
Well... in your honest opinion, should I think about returning it even if the radiator in my car is the oem shid from like 2005???
Google the following:

csf-radiator-long-term-review

n54-cooling-temp-control-logic-and-what-are-your-temps-during-extended-track-use

N54 Cooling - Temp Control Logic and what are your temps during extended track use?

How to build an M car beating Z4 in three easy steps...]

best-aftermarket-oil-thermostat-solution-for-n54

"Yeah I've never had power reduction due to oil. It typically happens due to iat and coolant with the N54.

The csf doesn't help with cooling performance. I hit 117C several times running it. Also some have had them start leaking, and really there's nothing special about that radiator. It is waaaay undersized, just like stock. So I highly recommend against it.

Spend the money on a radiator setup that actually increases cooling performance instead (large aux cooler(s)). You will want to increase the frontal area by around 50% to get something similar to what the S55 has. I recommend dual aux radiators."

The OEM radiator is MUCH more reliable. If you track the car the CSF will not help you. You need aux radiators as said above. Now with an N52 you might be just fine and get away without going into coolant temp limp. Return or cancel your shipment is my advice. Save some $$$.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #976
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you serious? heck
Google the following:

n54-cooling-temp-control-logic-and-what-are-your-temps-during-extended-track-use

N54 Cooling - Temp Control Logic and what are your temps during extended track use?

"Yeah I've never had power reduction due to oil. It typically happens due to iat and coolant with the N54.

The csf doesn't help with cooling performance. I hit 117C several times running it. Also some have had them start leaking, and really there's nothing special about that radiator. It is waaaay undersized, just like stock. So I highly recommend against it.

Spend the money on a radiator setup that actually increases cooling performance instead (large aux cooler(s)). You will want to increase the frontal area by around 50% to get something similar to what the S55 has. I recommend dual aux radiators."

The OEM radiator is MUCH more reliable. If you track the car the CSF will not help you. You need aux radiators as said above. Now with an N52 you might be just fine and get away without going into coolant temp limp. Return or cancel your shipment is my advice. Save some $$$.
Quote:
Quote:
Are you serious? heck
Google the following:

Thanks bubba appreciate it
Torgus3781.50
      08-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #977
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Question guys, car with tuner and we may drop smaller pulley, retune and drop some headers on w the custom tune. Question, where did you guys source the smaller pulley, and it took you to like 8 or 10psi? Also, looking to not be hated in Neigbohood and currently have res delete and magnaflow muffler... and no issue with sound level. If I get the AA headers on or equivalent is it much louder? I want to maximize the blower a bit more.

And assume that leave rear cats, anyways just looking for some input as this is our daily.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #978
Minutes2Midnight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i

You won't be able to run the OEM auxiliary radiator in its factory position if you have the supercharger intake behind the driver's side fog light. I wanted to do that with the 335is intake scoops but it physically won't fit without some custom fabricating.

Also wanted to say that the Stett oil cooler is absolutely badass. My oil temps stay between 190-200 and that's down from regularly seeing 230-250 before the oil cooler. I haven't gotten to use it on track yet, but if it stays stable below 250 in those conditions, I'll consider that a win.

My biggest worry when going back to the track is supercharger temps over a longer session. I've considered using AFE scoops and the OEM intake snorkel to try and air-cool the unit, but I don't know how helpful that'd be.

Last edited by Minutes2Midnight; 08-23-2020 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #979
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
You won't be able to run the OEM auxiliary radiator in its factory position if you have the supercharger intake behind the driver's side fog light. I wanted to do that with the 335is intake scoops but it physically won't fit without some custom fabricating.

Also wanted to say that the Stett oil cooler is absolutely badass. My oil temps stay between 190-200 and that's down from regularly seeing 230-250 before the oil cooler. I haven't gotten to use it on track yet, but if it stays stable below 250 in those conditions, I'll consider that a win.

My biggest worry when going back to the track is supercharger temps over a longer session. I've considered using AFE scoops and the OEM intake snorkel to try and air-cool the unit, but I don't know how helpful that'd be.
Are you running a thermostat on your oil cooler, and if so what temp does it open at?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #980
Minutes2Midnight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Are you running a thermostat on your oil cooler, and if so what temp does it open at?

I am, it opens at 180 degrees. It's an external thermostat made by improved racing and I run an adaptor plate on the filter housing. The needle stays absolutely dead still between 190-200 even during more spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:04 AM   #981
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Minutes2Midnight

Yeh — aiming to either mount it on the passenger side or somewhere in the lower grill (grille? Idk I don't talk to em.) of the bumper. I see a website offers the stett kit, but they haven't responded to my email since I noticed stett's website is down. So I pinged to confirm availability... nada. I have the vented hood from Duke Dynamics — honestly thought about getting a set of halogens, drilling a fat hole (UwU), and try to mimic what the hellcat has going on. I figure it would help push the air out the hood even more so. That with the burger motor sports cabin filter replacements that ditch the cowl should do okay with helping air pass through. I'd do these things purely because I would never typically drive this car in poor weather. (Lights are the obvious — the BMS cabin filters will allow water to drop right into where the cowl was protecting). That and possibly wrapping my AA headers while they're off or having them ceramic coated to control their heat a tad.
      08-24-2020, 03:10 AM   #982
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Seattlesquash
Go to ESS' website.

Paste this after their original link: n52-vt/
(Don't wanna get pooped on by mod, sorry)

Exhaust: I dunno all pros and cons of this, but talk to your tuner about cold start delete. I think my car was bearable given my setup. I have highflow cats, too. If you're rocking OEM cats, I think you'll be okay. Just don't step on it in the neighborhood. Sauce: old neighbor in VA beach got salty about noise, I drove like a grandma out the neighborhood, all was right in the world. (Aa+xpipe+hi-flow cats+335 quads)

Everyone's different — but I think a few people can attest to the almost stock sound of the headers being in the mix if they drive normally.
      08-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #983
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Seattlesquash
Go to ESS' website.

Paste this after their original link: n52-vt/
(Don't wanna get pooped on by mod, sorry)

Exhaust: I dunno all pros and cons of this, but talk to your tuner about cold start delete. I think my car was bearable given my setup. I have highflow cats, too. If you're rocking OEM cats, I think you'll be okay. Just don't step on it in the neighborhood. Sauce: old neighbor in VA beach got salty about noise, I drove like a grandma out the neighborhood, all was right in the world. (Aa+xpipe+hi-flow cats+335 quads)

Everyone's different — but I think a few people can attest to the almost stock sound of the headers being in the mix if they drive normally.
Thanks, not sure what you meant w their website. Don't see the smaller pulley and know they don't like the headers but why I do custom tune. Anyways, I check more and looks like new kit still puts out sane as ours.

Thanks for exhaust info, I think I will try headers, and leave stock rear cats and magnaflow and see. Worst case I put resonator back in. Good call on cold start delete and did that on other car too and a must w exhaust mods. Thanks man
Appreciate 1
Donethat339.00
      08-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #984
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Seattlesquash
I'll DM you the webpage no worries.
You're welcome, my mang.
      08-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #985
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok guys - all committed now... in shop for headers, 105mm pulley, custom tune, full exhaust. He is thinking about 350-380 WHP. Will keep you posted, currently 280 whp as it sits.
Appreciate 5
Biginboca3763.50
Torgus3781.50
Noir883.00
E92William1998.00
      08-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #986
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Awesome!!!
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #987
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Thanks, not sure what you meant w their website. Don't see the smaller pulley and know they don't like the headers but why I do custom tune. Anyways, I check more and looks like new kit still puts out sane as ours.

Thanks for exhaust info, I think I will try headers, and leave stock rear cats and magnaflow and see. Worst case I put resonator back in. Good call on cold start delete and did that on other car too and a must w exhaust mods. Thanks man
Yeah some good deals on AA header right now....
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #988
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

Quote:
Ok guys - all committed now... in shop for headers, 105mm pulley, custom tune, full exhaust. He is thinking about 350-380 WHP. Will keep you posted, currently 280 whp as it sits.
I never thought I'd be so excited by a few lines of text. The only real thing keeping me from a supercharger is the problem with throttle tuning on the n52. I wouldnt sacrifice heel toe for any amount of hp
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #989
Minutes2Midnight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200,000 club View Post
I never thought I'd be so excited by a few lines of text. The only real thing keeping me from a supercharger is the problem with throttle tuning on the n52. I wouldnt sacrifice heel toe for any amount of hp
I don't think that's a problem. I heel toe the crap out of mine on pretty much every downshift!
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #990
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200,000 club View Post
Quote:
Also, shop will install an air-to-air intercooler w some custom tubing being required to be made obviously! Pumped!
Appreciate 0