E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Need help understanding the parts of the headlights.

05-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #1
Z3ROWOLFHD
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X-Drive Sedan

Need help understanding the parts of the headlights.

I understand there is a search function, but the more I look I get more and more confused about how the headlights actually work and what parts go into it...

I have a 2011 328i x-Drive Sedan (assuming LCI since it is post-2009) with Halogen bulbs and housing. The housing is disgusting, and I've already tried sanding and polishing, so I need to replace the ENTIRE housing. So do I buy a new housing, new bulbs, and lights that illuminate the DRL?

Now, what does that entail?

https://www.carid.com/spec-d/black-u...583&url=449339

https://www.carid.com/2011-bmw-3-ser...parentsubmodel[]=MODEL|328i%20xDrive

So say if I bought one of these, what would I need to do to make it completely LED.

From what I could tell, these do(don't) come with bulbs? Do I need to buy H7 bulbs for the Lows and whatever the High beams are, and try to find a bright set that has a high color temperature to match? And LUX Angel Eyes, and do I need to buy the halogen ones? Or can I get any of them since I am replacing the housing. I'm so confused on all of this.

I get that there is a search function but it is so hard finding the answer I am looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
Z3ROWOLFHD
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i X-Drive Sedan

I think the custom Spec-D housings look really cool, but if anyone else has recommendations it'd be much appreciated. Also I need to replace my fog light housing and bulb too, so do I buy a housing from carid.com and then buy bulbs to match? Or does it come with bulbs
Appreciate 0