E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Special Active Dampers Anyone?

05-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #45
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Keep in mind there will be a difference in ride and ride height depending on how heavy your vehicle; i.e. 325 vs. 335, is and what springs you are using with the Koni FSD/Actives. I used Koni Active with 2WD and 4WD Eibach Springs from Europe on my E90 335xi and didn't like the ride as it was very bouncy and bottomed out alot. I tried all kinds of different bump stops and spent many hours to try and make this setup work, but ended up selling this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Yeah all 4 corners. The car hasn't crashed once yet, rides like a dream.
The front bump stop I had to make the hole bigger near the bottom half because it was to tight for some reason it's a smaller diameter. Took like 10 min using a serrated knife from a multi tool and added grease before putting it on. The back fit with ease, it holds well and stays where you want it to.

I think a lot of different setups on these cars would benefit from proper bumpstops. Forget about the front bilsteins though the shaft is way too big.
      05-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #46
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor04 View Post
Keep in mind there will be a difference in ride and ride height depending on how heavy your vehicle; i.e. 325 vs. 335, is and what springs you are using with the Koni FSD/Actives. I used Koni Active with 2WD and 4WD Eibach Springs from Europe on my E90 335xi and didn't like the ride as it was very bouncy and bottomed out alot. I tried all kinds of different bump stops and spent many hours to try and make this setup work, but ended up selling this setup.
Would it make it that much bouncier? What about when my car is full? Also Koni does have the active for AWD. http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...=114&mk=6&mt=1

Bump stops are reached a lot of the time on our cars. Especially during hard cornering. I think OEM just don't cut it whether it's z4m or e36 m3 bumpstops. They are progressive which is great but are too soft towards the end of travel which causes crashing on bad city roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #47
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I had the Koni Actives for AWD installed. You can't install the front non AWD struts on a AWD. My opinion is they are only decent ride quality when paired with OEM springs. My comments apply to AWD cars only. I have no experience with how the Actives behave on a 2WD car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Would it make it that much bouncier? What about when my car is full? Also Koni does have the active for AWD. http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...=114&mk=6&mt=1

Bump stops are reached a lot of the time on our cars. Especially during hard cornering. I think OEM just don't cut it whether it's z4m or e36 m3 bumpstops. They are progressive which is great but are too soft towards the end of travel which causes crashing on bad city roads.
      05-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #48
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor04 View Post
I had the Koni Actives for AWD installed. You can't install the front non AWD struts on a AWD. My opinion is they are only decent ride quality when paired with OEM springs. My comments apply to AWD cars only. I have no experience with how the Actives behave on a 2WD car.
Hmm maybe the stock AWD springs were too soft? I believe the E90 xi models didn't have sport suspension even with the sport package. The newer models do.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #49
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Put mine on over the weekend. Only have one commute in the books, so no hard driving at all, but it's nice to hear small bumps instead of feeling them, and to have the porpoising gone (stock ones were totally shot).

One thing I don't like is that the front struts appear to be slightly taller than the stock ones. They were harder to wedge back into the wheel well than it was to get the old ones out, and now the front of the car sits probably 3/4" higher than the rear. I'm going to let it settle for a few weeks, hopefully the rubber spring pads will compress down a bit. but if it stays this way I'll probably be looking at lowering springs for just the front.....and re-doing the strut install.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #50
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Put mine on over the weekend. Only have one commute in the books, so no hard driving at all, but it's nice to hear small bumps instead of feeling them, and to have the porpoising gone (stock ones were totally shot).

One thing I don't like is that the front struts appear to be slightly taller than the stock ones. They were harder to wedge back into the wheel well than it was to get the old ones out, and now the front of the car sits probably 3/4" higher than the rear. I'm going to let it settle for a few weeks, hopefully the rubber spring pads will compress down a bit. but if it stays this way I'll probably be looking at lowering springs for just the front.....and re-doing the strut install.

i have ordered Koni special active damper, eibach pro kit springs and eibach sway bars and new end links, subframe bushing, lets see how these transform my ride, keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #51
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep

Installed koni special with eibach pro kit yesterday
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #52
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Looks sharp. How does it ride with the Eibachs?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:54 AM   #53
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Looks sharp. How does it ride with the Eibachs?
Ride is good, bumps dont hit your back, feels better than b4s i had before. It will settle more after few weeks, 12mm spacers coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #54
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Installed the activs just the rear shocks last night. My 2 year old bilstiens were leaking oil both side but still had gas pressure. I guess the ride is ok. It's has a much different feel to it. Going to do front struts soon.
Appreciate 1
MEN54236.00
      06-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #55
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEN54 View Post
Ride is good, bumps dont hit your back, feels better than b4s i had before. It will settle more after few weeks, 12mm spacers coming soon.
What bumpstops did you use?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #56
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep

Front
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-31332225377

Back
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...z4-33536770350

Lowering srpings
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ibach-2092-140
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #57
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Any feedback updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #58
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
Any feedback updates?
love it and will post pics later after i get spacers on and paint calipers
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:47 AM   #59
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 Sport Package

Quote:
love it and will post pics later after i get spacers on and paint calipers

What about the Koni Special Active struts/shocks where did you buy them?

Also do you have an update on how the car has settled and how it is riding now?

Any updated pics with the 12mm spacers?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:12 AM   #60
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzamani View Post
What about the Koni Special Active struts/shocks where did you buy them?

Also do you have an update on how the car has settled and how it is riding now?

Any updated pics with the 12mm spacers?
i like the ride and its soft on bumpy road and sport feel on nice road, here are pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #61
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i like the ride and its soft on bumpy road and sport feel on nice road, here are pics.

Yeah that’s perfect man! Thanks for the update

I have a 07 335i and I think I’m gonna do the exact same setup.

Did you do the install yourself? If so how hard was it?

Was your stunt mounts in good enough shape or did you replace them too?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #62
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

shop installed it and i replaced all new hardware, please note car is lowered on eibach pro springs
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #63
Impreza98
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i and 05 STI

Quote:

I recently installed the koni special active rears along with the new upper rear mounts. The install was pretty easy. Just followed the pelican diy along with watching a few YouTube videos beforehand to familiarize myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #64
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza99 View Post
I recently installed the koni special active rears along with the new upper rear mounts. The install was pretty easy. Just followed the pelican diy along with watching a few YouTube videos beforehand to familiarize myself.
Thanks Impreza99 the encouragement is very helpful. I have tackled a lot of the jobs myself with my 18 year old son. We did the Walnut blasting, OFHG, oil cooler gasket, valve cover gasket and one of the fuel injectors. So I think I’m comfortable enough to do this but I hear some people’s comments about it taking multiple days and it being a hard job Which makes it a bit more intimidating.

MEN54 did list the bump stops which are key for the lowering springs. He also left links of some of the other parts which is very helpful. I just want to make sure I have everything on hand before I start.

I’ve got 71k miles on my Sport suspension 07 335i so I would think it’s probably best to replace all of the strut mounts too. Am I right about that?

Other than the bump stops MEN54 listed is there anything else that I should replace?

Keep in mind the whole point of doing this job is to get rid of the skateboards feeling out of this car and make it more comfortable. I don’t mind a firm ride I just can’t stand anything feeling rattley. Also I would love for the vehicle to be more composed(body lean) on the freeway when changing lanes in and out of traffic. So I’m thinking maybe those Eibach sway bars MEN54 listed might be necessary too. Or do you think those Koni Special Actives Struts/Shocks will alone take care of that?

Thanks for you time buddy
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #65
Impreza98
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i and 05 STI

If you have done fuel injectors and valve cover gasket, then I would feel pretty confident in changing out the rear struts. The extent of my mechanics skills has been changing out spark plugs on my e90 and compared to that, the strut replacement was a breeze.

I did replace my bump stops with the speedthane bump stops that were mentioned earlier in the post. Also have lower rear mounts but waiting on getting an e12 socket. I wasn't getting a good connection with a 12 point socket.

Changing out the struts made a huge difference in handeling especially on the highway. The bounciness is gone when going over expansion joints. Then again, my driver's side strut was completely blown.

Quote:
Thanks Impreza99 the encouragement is very helpful. I have tackled a lot of the jobs myself with my 18 year old son. We did the Walnut blasting, OFHG, oil cooler gasket, valve cover gasket and one of the fuel injectors. So I think I’m comfortable enough to do this but I hear some people’s comments about it taking multiple days and it being a hard job Which makes it a bit more intimidating.

MEN54 did list the bump stops which are key for the lowering springs. He also left links of some of the other parts which is very helpful. I just want to make sure I have everything on hand before I start.

I’ve got 71k miles on my Sport suspension 07 335i so I would think it’s probably best to replace all of the strut mounts too. Am I right about that?

Other than the bump stops MEN54 listed is there anything else that I should replace?

Keep in mind the whole point of doing this job is to get rid of the skateboards feeling out of this car and make it more comfortable. I don’t mind a firm ride I just can’t stand anything feeling rattley. Also I would love for the vehicle to be more composed(body lean) on the freeway when changing lanes in and out of traffic. So I’m thinking maybe those Eibach sway bars MEN54 listed might be necessary too. Or do you think those Koni Special Actives Struts/Shocks will alone take care of that?

Thanks for you time buddy
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #66
Salzamani
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
shop installed it and i replaced all new hardware, please note car is lowered on eibach pro springs

Hey MEN54, sorry to bother you again man. I have read this thread multiple times word for word and am very familiar with what you and others did, thanks for the links to your purchases. However I do have some uncertainties.

So here are a couple question for you;

I’m really intrigued with how much these Eibach Pro Kit springs lowered your car. I’m looking at my 07 335i with the factory sport package and it looks to me like Eibach Pro Kits would have to lower my car over an inch from where I’m at already to achieve the height you have. Could there be a difference between your year model and my 2007?

Sorry to bother you but do you by chance have any picks of your car before you did Eibachs, another words pics of your factory sport suspension before the mods?

And also those particular bump stops that you used do they bottom out with more passengers?

And finally where did you purchase those Koni Special Actives, from the Koni site?

Thanks bro!
Appreciate 0