E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Superknock among other issues

05-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
GM54
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Superknock among other issues

Hey guys so I picked up a 2007 335i last year and its been a great car thus far. During the end of winter however the car started to have a rough start/idle. It would start up fine, with no long crank, but the RPM's would suddenly drop and the car would try to stall. I ended up changing the sparks/coils and the problem went away for a bit, but idle is still not the greatest as the car has little hiccups.

Fast forward a few months and I went MHD stage 1+, and after a few weeks I had a half engine light come on and car went into limp mode. I scanned the car and had these codes

View post on imgur.com

After searching about the HPFP codes a lot of the posts suggest that it not necessarily showing a weak pump, and that few people got those codes even with a new pump.

I've taken out the vanos solenoids and cleaned them with brake cleaner. If it comes back I will order new ones. The only code that freaked me out was the superknock code. I've reverted back to stock tune and that code hasn't come back yet, so not sure if I can attribute it to bad fuel. I live in Toronto and use shell 91.

Other things I've noticed about the car that might need changing;
-Fuel injectors are index 1
-intake walnut blast, not sure if its ever been done. Car currently has 210k KM
-HPFP is original, bought from first owner.
-Valve cover gasket, noticed oil around the 3rd spark plug when changing.

I did a monitor run while stock and was hoping if anyone can give me insight on where to start. I'd like to go back to stage 1, or 1+ but want to get that superknock code sorted out before. Not sure if the logs show bad injectors/pump. I've since ordered a new valve cover but want to make sure what else to order before I start chasing the issues.

https://datazap.me/u/gm54/log-155841...0&data=3-20-21

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
GM54
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Little update, I ordered a new valve cover/gasket, aswell as a new HPFP and the vanos solenoids. Hope to do it sometime in the next week or so.

I managed to find a set of index 12 injectors on sale privately, I was just wondering if its safe to buy. The seller says they're brand new, never used and that he bought them from bmw, but he has no receipt. Is there anything I can check to see if they've been used? Its about 800 bucks cheaper (1300CDN) than buying online, just don't want them to be ebay/reman injectors.

Also if anyone has any idea about the superknock code let me know, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM54 View Post
Little update, I ordered a new valve cover/gasket, aswell as a new HPFP and the vanos solenoids. Hope to do it sometime in the next week or so.

I managed to find a set of index 12 injectors on sale privately, I was just wondering if its safe to buy. The seller says they're brand new, never used and that he bought them from bmw, but he has no receipt. Is there anything I can check to see if they've been used? Its about 800 bucks cheaper (1300CDN) than buying online, just don't want them to be ebay/reman injectors.

Also if anyone has any idea about the superknock code let me know, thanks.
As far as the injector question ask him for a picture of them. When they’re new they come in a plastic clamshell type case with a metal sleeve over the tip. The sleeve compresses the o ring which conforms to your head when it’s installed.
Appreciate 0