E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hard 1st gear

05-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Jurciks
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325i

Hard 1st gear

Hello,

Sometimes i have trouble to put it in 1st gear... When putting into 2nd and back to 1st all goes well, any clue what could be the problem? Also with clutch pedal being pressed down to max i have this weird whining sound, but as soon as the clutch is released the sound disappear. All other gears shift perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
RomKaN54
Enlisted Member
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 6MT

i have that too i just reverse it and roll the car a bit then put back in 1st
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Bad throw out bearing for the noise.

From second to first are you doing it when the car is moving or stationary? Could be a syncro issue or a linkage/fork issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6spd

When did you last change your Manual Transmission Fluid? If it was long, try changing it.

another way is, Dont press the clutch all the way to the end and stop a little before it reaches the end and put the 1st gear. It should work.

As the other member mentioned, Try doing a body roll by reversing it back and then changing to 1st gear.

If this is not fixed by a transmission change, it might be due to a clutch pressure plate wear or a dual mass flywheel wear.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
Jackma119
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post

From second to first are you doing it when the car is moving or stationary? Could be a syncro issue or a linkage/fork issue.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #6
Jurciks
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomKaN54 View Post
i have that too i just reverse it and roll the car a bit then put back in 1st
What do you mean by rolling the car a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post

I do it in a stationary position when i can't shift in 1st gear, i just put it in second and straight back to 1st and it works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgwuyn View Post
When did you last change your Manual Transmission Fluid? If it was long, try changing it.

another way is, Dont press the clutch all the way to the end and stop a little before it reaches the end and put the 1st gear. It should work.

As the other member mentioned, Try doing a body roll by reversing it back and then changing to 1st gear.

If this is not fixed by a transmission change, it might be due to a clutch pressure plate wear or a dual mass flywheel wear.

I will change my transmission fluid next week (I don't think it has been changed ever), hopefully this will solve the issue.
Appreciate 0