E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need help picking a suspension system for e92 335i - weekend car/autocross setup

11-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Need help picking a suspension system for e92 335i - weekend car/autocross setup

So a little info on my car. 2007 e92 335i 6MT with the sport package. The car has 120k miles on it and the rear shocks are shot. So i want to replace the suspension now. Front and rear.

The car is not my DD. I only use it on weekends and nice days. I want to have a better handling car compared to the stock sport suspension. I also want it to be able to fun to take to a track 2/3 times a year and do some autocross!

So the first thing I'm going to do is the struts/shocks.

Ive been searching a lot and it honestly has me more confused because i keep finding new options to go with lol.

So far I've been seriously considering:

1)Bilstein B12 kit
2)KW street comfort
3)KW v2
4)KW v1

Thats in order of consideration. Mostly because the b12 kit is only like $850 and the KW SC is double the price. (Around 1500$)

Im only looking to spend about 1600 max on the shocks/coil-overs.

Keep in mind I'm doing this in stages. So after this i will be doing m3 control arms, m3 bushings, possibly sway bars.

What do you guys recommend in my situation. I feel like a lot of people on the board are in the same place as me. They want better handling then oem sport suspension but not something that rides super stiff. Just something to refresh the old oem suspension and make it more fun for spirited street driving and occasional track use.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

1. Bilstein B12
2. M3 front arms
3. e93 M3 front sway
4. enjoy
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
1. Bilstein B12
2. M3 front arms
3. e93 M3 front sway
4. enjoy
I think thats what i will end up going with. Ive seen a few people recommend this setup with great results. A good balance between sporty handling and good comfort.

Ive been reading and someone on here was saying the b12 kit uses basically stock sport springs as far as the spring rates and length. And the b12 shocks are the same as the b6 shocks? Doesnt make sense to me. I thought they were basicly b8 shocks with an eibach pro kit from europe.

Should i just get new b8 struts/shocks and reuse my stock springs? Or just buy the whole kit new? Its cheap enough.

Should i get the dinan camber plates. Even if i plan on getting m3 front arms? Will it add too much camber and create bad tire wear? Also i see the sell upgraded shocks mounts for the rear in poly from dinan. Are they recommended?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

KW V1
M3 control arms
Sway bar for at least the front
New bushings all around

$2000 is a good budget if you find slightly used coils, and control arms
      11-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
KW V1
M3 control arms
Sway bar for at least the front
New bushings all around

$2000 is a good budget if you find slightly used coils, and control arms
You really think the kw v1s are better than the bilsteins?

Im thinking the bilsteins will have better quality dampers.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

The B12 kit is the eibach springs and the B8 shocks. B8 are shorter than B6 to allow for the shorter springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

How does the b12 kit compare to the kw v1s? They're both somewhat close in price. They're both non adjustable.

The kw's are height adjustable but thats not important to me. Im going to set it and then never change it again.

Im not really looking to lower it much really. Maybe .5-1" lower than stock sport suspension.

So i think ive narrowed it down to the bilstein b12s or the kw v1s.

What would you get, if you had to pick betweeb these two setups.

To me, my order of importance:
1)handling
2)comfort
3)value
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
I think thats what i will end up going with. Ive seen a few people recommend this setup with great results. A good balance between sporty handling and good comfort.

Ive been reading and someone on here was saying the b12 kit uses basically stock sport springs as far as the spring rates and length. And the b12 shocks are the same as the b6 shocks? Doesnt make sense to me. I thought they were basicly b8 shocks with an eibach pro kit from europe.

Should i just get new b8 struts/shocks and reuse my stock springs? Or just buy the whole kit new? Its cheap enough.

Should i get the dinan camber plates. Even if i plan on getting m3 front arms? Will it add too much camber and create bad tire wear? Also i see the sell upgraded shocks mounts for the rear in poly from dinan. Are they recommended?
I highly recommend the B12 Pro-kit (and M3 control arms), this set-up made major improvements in steering feel, turn-in and overall handling. I've also read that the Eibach springs in this kit have a stock-like rate but am not convinced as they feel nothing like the ZSP springs. As already stated, the shocks are B8's (sports) and the drop will be around 0.5 to 0.75" compared to sports suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr
Quote:

I highly recommend the B12 Pro-kit (and M3 control arms), this set-up made major improvements in steering feel, turn-in and overall handling. I've also read that the Eibach springs in this kit have a stock-like rate but am not convinced as they feel nothing like the ZSP springs. As already stated, the shocks are B8's (sports) and the drop will be around 0.5 to 0.75" compared to sports suspension.
Ok so it sounds like the b12 kit is exactly what im looking for. Thanks for all the help!

Where did you purchase the kit from? Does it come with any warranty from bilstein?

I remember seeing it for around $900 before tax/shipping. Is that a good deal?

I would rather order from a forum vendor. Do you have any recommendations?

Everytime i think about this i feel like i will like the b12 kit but somethings telling me to wait and save up for the kw sc coilovers. Would the rebound adjustment help me during the occasional autocross/roadcourse day?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Ok so it sounds like the b12 kit is exactly what im looking for. Thanks for all the help!

Where did you purchase the kit from? Does it come with any warranty from bilstein?

I remember seeing it for around $900 before tax/shipping. Is that a good deal?

I would rather order from a forum vendor. Do you have any recommendations?

Everytime i think about this i feel like i will like the b12 kit but somethings telling me to wait and save up for the kw sc coilovers. Would the rebound adjustment help me during the occasional autocross/roadcourse day?
Got the B12 Pro-kit from Turner Motorsports for around $800 + shipping. Bilstein offers a lifetime warranty on the shocks for the original buyer with proof of purchase.
Appreciate 0