E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Broken head bolts, too!?!

09-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #111
andy_06xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

OK -- this thread had me worried, so I just went out and checked the bolt on my 2006 330xi with 126000 mi. 5/2016 production. Looked OK -- bolt head still present and I couldn't move it with my fingers. Just a data point.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #112
smassey321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5d - 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
OK -- this thread had me worried, so I just went out and checked the bolt on my 2006 330xi with 126000 mi. 5/2016 production. Looked OK -- bolt head still present and I couldn't move it with my fingers. Just a data point.
I don't think they break on all N52s. When I was shopping for my daughters E90 I looked at 20 or so and all still had the bolt. Many did have broken valve cover bolts . My old E90 330i that a co-worker has still is on the original bolt at 120k miles.

Ultimately I purchased my daughter a project that had a broken bolt. I assume it had been broken for several years as the closest internal bolt was also broken. Probably due to the extra stress of the outside one being broken. Changing the outside one is super easy. The inside one was not.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #113
Germanbato17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
Most of the time only the one external bolt breaks. In my case one of the internal ones was broken also. The head was still sitting on top of shaft and I got it out before it fell into the pan. Even if it fell into the pan, there is no way the engine can suck it up. There is a screen over the oil intake.

I was able to change the 3 internal bolts by removing the timing chain sprockets to get access. I took pictures if you are interested.

If you are due for a valve cover gasket, go ahead pull the VC and take a look.
Check each one with a pry bar as they can be broken but look fine. Otherwise just pull the intake back an inch or so and replace your one external bolt.

I replaced the external bolt, removed the intake (partially) and and I drilled out the bolt, pretty easy, put a new bolt and torqued to 11 Ft plus 90 degrees.

My valve cover gasket was replaced by the previous owner so I hope they checked the other bolts, if not I will have to wait until the gasket stars leaking again and recheck the bolts, it is good to know that there is no way they can get sucked in by the engine thanks to the screen.

I wonder if the 3 internal bolts are broken, the head gasket will start leaking oil in front of the engine, close where the drive belt is.

Yeah if you have pics of that would be nice to check them out.

I also took my car for the airbag recall and I asked them about this issue, and they basically said BMW will not cover that, and gave a price of $1,900 for replacing the broken bolt and take the cover off to check the other three, and a new serpentine belt (mine is bad and soaked with oil).

crazy, BMW should be replacing and taking care of this issue free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #114
smassey321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5d - 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanbato17 View Post

Yeah if you have pics of that would be nice to check them out.

I also took my car for the airbag recall and I asked them about this issue, and they basically said BMW will not cover that, and gave a price of $1,900 for replacing the broken bolt and take the cover off to check the other three, and a new serpentine belt (mine is bad and soaked with oil).

Pics can be seen here. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...844&highlight=
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #115
CTinline-six
Winning
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '00 Jeep XJ

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanbato17 View Post

You definitely want to replace the serpentine belt if it is soaked with oil. It can slip off, shred, and get pulled behind the crank pulley into the engine.
      10-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #116
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

The story goes that the valve cover bolts were over torqued from factory. I got 2 broken ones on mine, replaced under CPO thankfully. The bottom bolt on the OFH is also known to be prone to snap.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #117
Germanbato17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
You definitely want to replace the serpentine belt if it is soaked with oil. It can slip off, shred, and get pulled behind the crank pulley into the engine.
Yes, I replaced the serpentine belt, it was soaked with oil and coolant. After I replaced the outside broken bolt my MPG went from 24 to 29!! and car feels a little bit better on performance (maybe is just me). and of course no more annoying oil all over my engine and everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #118
mp04
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xit

Had my car in for an oil change last week and had this identified in my car. 2008 328 xit wagon with 103,000.

Dealer quoted 4600 to replace gasket and fix bolt. This job will also fix the oil filter gasket and valve gasket. Not sure why they didn't provide an option to just replace the bolt. It's the common one by the oil filter. Obviously, I'll get an indy quote, but the presence of good indy's keeps the dealer more honest than others.

I'm disappointed to learn that this issue it pretty common based on google searching and BMW isn't acknowledging it AND the service advisor said the cause is engine vibration
Appreciate 0