E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Valve cover removal N55 E92

11-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

DIY Valve cover removal N55 E92

I recently had the "opportunity" to remove my valve cover and didn't find any tutorials so I thought I'd post one. It's quite different from the N54 though likely similar to the N20 and N26. At any rate, it's not your grandfather's valve cover.

My PCV valve had failed at 80K Miles causing both the front and rear main crankshaft seals to howl like hyenas. More info here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1139795

While I was at it, I took a look at the carbon buildup. It's insanely difficult to unplug the ECU wires but I got enough of them loose to pull the intake manifold off a little and take a peek. Didn't seem too bad to me for 80K so I just poked at them with a popsicle stick to get the chunks off and buttoned it back up. Pic below.

I wrote this for the 2-door 3's E92/E93 but other models are similar. The 4-door models like E90, E91, and F30 are slightly easier because the engine doesn't go as far under the windshield, and the smaller cars E87, F20, etc. are a little harder of course but the differences are mostly with respect to the windshield wipers and cowl.

Special tools needed:
  • 14mm and 17mm crows-foot wrenches to tighten fuel lines with a torque wrench. 23nm for the small ones and 30Nm for the big one. Keep the crows-foot 90 degrees from the wrench for accurate readings.
  • 11mm crows-foot to loosen fuel rail without removing plastic clips. (Note: 11mm is not included with Harbor Freight set but is included with Tekton set)
  • Standard short 22mm socket and long thin cheater bar if you want to rotate the crankshaft (turn it in the "tightening" direction) to clean your valves. Also some long thin brushes, and a small/thin turkey baster to suck out the goo. Vacuums or compressed air are not suitable for this.

Supplies needed:
  • Compressed air for clearing all the dirt before it rains down onto your camshaft.
  • Replacement covers include all the gaskets and bolts already installed, but if you're not replacing the cover you'll need at least the gasket set.
  • Valvetronic connector gasket plate (11377502022) is suggested by the repair manual, but mine seemed perfectly fine and re-usable. This is on the very outside and can be replaced in 5 minutes the following week if needed. Some models may have machine-thread screws (remove one to check) securing the valvetronic in which case 2 self-tapping screws (11367609963) will be needed for the new cover which no longer features brass threaded inserts.
  • The metal accordion PCV hose can simply remain attached to the valve cover if you are servicing something else, but if you need to remove it (e.g. to transfer it to a new cover) you will likely break the clips. You can drive just fine with few broken clips and order a replacement later (P/N is usually 11127584128). I transferred mine over without breakage and it's not easy but well worth the $30 savings. This is not a wear item so there's no reason to replace it unless broken.
  • Six rubber caps to cover the exposed fuel injectors. Twelve if you don't remove the fuel rail. Threads are M12 x 1.5 so something around 7/16" diameter works well. Little Red Caps (condoms for your caulk) are perfect for this job but party balloons or fingers cut from rubber gloves are fine too. Tape is not suitable as fuel will dissolve the adhesive.
  • Rag and rubber band to seal off the exposed lower intake pipe.
  • Intake valve cleaner if you wish to clean your valves along the way. Carb cleaner could wick up into the valve guides and degrade the valve seals but "intake valve cleaner" is basically aerosol diesel fuel so it's safer.

Torque specs:
  • All 24 valve cover bolts: 8.5Nm / 6 ft-lbs (be gentle with these aluminum bolts)
  • Small fuel lines: 23Nm / 17 ft-lbs
  • Large fuel line: 30Nm / 22 ft-lbs
  • Fuel rail mounting bolts: 13Nm / 10 ft-lbs
  • Strut bar center: 100Nm / 74 ft-lbs
  • Strut bar to shock tower: 34Nm / 25 ft-lbs
  • Intake manifold nuts and bolts: 15Nm / 11 ft-lbs

Procedure:
  1. Disconnect the battery as the fuel pump may run anytime the car is "awoken" from sleep. Also you will be doing a lot of tricky wrenching near the positive terminal. This is best done the night before so that there will be little or no fuel pressure in the lines. Otherwise the fuel pump will pressurize the system anytime a door is opened.
  2. Remove the passenger windshield wiper. 135 owners see here. Sedan owners see here.
  3. Now that you know the windshield wiper is involved, reconsider your options.
  4. Slightly loosen one fitting on the fuel rail to relieve pressure and catch the spillage with a rag. Important: Don't remove any fuel lines or expose the fuel system until the very last step, otherwise you will surely get dirt in there and ruin some injectors. If you disconnect the battery the night before, hardly any fuel will drip out.
  5. Remove the cabin filter, cowl, and entire intake all the way to the lower front/right corner. There's only one screw on the lower intake pipe, no hidden tricks. You must cover the remaining pipe with a rag and rubber band or similar -- it leads directly to the turbo and things are going to get messy. The accordion pcv hose has single-use clips -- don't unclip it if you don't need to -- just unscrew the other end. If you intend to replace the valve cover you can try to unclip and reuse this hose by first twisting it to expose the 4th clip, then wedging thick washers into the 3 visible clips while you jam a screwdriver into the 4th. Good luck. It should be noted that the factory repair guide specifically warns that this hose cannot be removed without breakage. Note for reinstallation: it's much easier to reconnect the accordion hose while the lower intake pipe is still loose.
  6. Remove both strut bars and the center plastic panel on the firewall that they pierce thru (see here for details). There's a big plastic cover to unscrew for access to the strut bar centers. Once they're out, there are 3 screws on the firewall for the plastic middle panel.
  7. Remove the weatherstripping that runs across the entire front edge of the sub cowl and lift the top cowl section forward/upward, popping the clips as needed until the entire center section is completely free of the windshield. Start from the passenger side and work towards the middle. It need not come up around the driver's windshield wiper but it should come loose from the passenger wiper. You'll see that by lifting this panel, a large notch is exposed from the strut bar panel -- this is exposing the path that the valve cover will soon take.
  8. Remove the wires from the rear engine cover, then remove the cover by pulling up. Open the "ECU" box by sliding the two white locks and unhooking the 4 corners of the black clips by reaching under them. Lift the wire harnesses out of the box a little and strap them to the remaining windshield wiper to keep them out of the way.
  9. Remove all spark wiring. Unscrew all the brown ground wires (the entire harness needs to come out). The coil packs have obvious handles, flip them up a full 90 degrees (the cracking sounds are normal -- don't be shy) and the connectors will fall out on their own. Remove all 6 coil packs. #6 is in the way of the valve cover egress path and the other 5 block the crowsfoot access you'll need later to torque the fuel lines. To remove just pull hard, slide a rod thru the handle hole for grip if needed. Coil packs can be mixed up, it doesn't matter unless you are also trying to diagnose a spark-related misfire. Note for reassembly: The connectors need to be firmly pressed inward as far as possible before flipping the handle down to draw them in -- a design flaw makes it possible to get the handle to flip down, latch, and draw the connector in without actually drawing it in far enough to connect.
  10. Remove all injector wiring. Don't remove the T-shaped metal brackets securing the injectors, just disconnect the wires. The injectors each have a small 2-wire connector identical to the one on the heater of that hard-accordion PCV hose you removed in step 5 but are much harder to get to. They all face the same way. Use two small flat screwdrivers: one to disengage the lock on the rear right of each connector while the second pries up on the edge of the connector housing (see pic below). The entire harness lifts out of the way after some screws and clips. Don't worry about numbering, the harness makes all the wiring foolproof. And don't worry about those two big plugs in the back that look identical -- they aren't. The big round connector in the center is for valvetronic and the gasket plate needs to be removed from the base. For some reason they suggest replacing those 2 screws and the gaskets but I don't see any reason to. Note for reassembly: The wire harness only has the rear screw at this point because the front screw is shared with the intake track and was removed in step 5.
  11. Clean everything you see. Lots of compressed air and whatever else you have. Pay close attention to the area around the windshield wiper, all 4 gasket perimeters, and all fuel line nuts.
  12. Remove all vacuum and PCV hoses. The little hard-line vacuum hose that drapes across the middle of the engine has a weird ring that you're supposed to squeeze to release -- squeeze it really hard. The pair of conventional rubber vacuum hoses connected directly to the valve cover simply pull right off... in theory. The slots are there so that you can use a small screwdriver to lever each hose off the nipple. There is no barb and no trick to this, it's just really stuck. You might want to remove the short hose entirely so that it doesn't get knocked off and lost.
  13. If you're going to remove the intake manifold to examine/clean your valves, this is the time to do it. The loose wiring harness means that fewer ECU plugs need to be disconnected, and with the manifold off, the fuel rail in the following steps is simple to remove. It's a tough task to disconnect the ECU plugs so if some can remain connected it'll save you some struggle. You can fit a standard short 22mm socket wrench between the engine and fan to turn the crankshaft but be careful not to hit the little expansion tank hose at the top left corner of the radiator -- the barb is very brittle.
  14. Loosen all the valve cover bolts. Use some combination of size adapters and u-joints to make extensions just the right length for the rear bolts. The right rear bolt is a doozie. Best to have a friend hold the socket/u-joint while you work the wrench. Try not to drop the socket, it's very difficult to find stuff in that part of the belly pan. This bolt alone could be a 30 minute job depending on how many times you drop the wrench.
  15. Make sure all the valve cover bolts are completely loose. It's hard to tell because they don't come out and you will surely miss a few even after double-checking.
  16. Save the fuel lines for last. One speck of dirt might cost you a new injector so be careful. You could leave the rail in place and only remove the 6 lines but the valve cover needs to go that direction in order to reach the strut bar opening so I found that removing the entire rail is preferable. The two plastic clips on the fuel rail will be broken if you try to remove them and replacements are not affordable. You can get a slim 11mm crowfoot in behind them or remove the intake manifold to reach them with a regular wrench. If you break the clips make damn sure you find the broken plastic bits before opening the valve cover. Luckily they still work fine even after being broken.
  17. Fuel injectors need to be capped with some nice-fitting 7/16" (12mm) caps of some sort. Tape won't stick and the fuel will make a gooey mess of the tape adhesive. There will be lots of chaos and dirt ahead and one speck of dirt will destroy the injectors so you need to have a solid plan for this. The fuel rail supply nut also needs to be covered before you start banging your dirty valve cover into it, which you will. You can put some tape over the big rail nut but the injectors need proper caps -- you'll be banging stuff into them, especially #6.
  18. The valve cover lifts up easily but it's pretty difficult to find a path to get it out. Have a friend bend the cowl/firewall area while you zig and zag to wiggle the cover out. Now you will see why the windshield wiper needed to be removed and the injectors needed to be protected. Dirt will rain from the bending cowl onto the #6 injector and you won't even be able to keep track of the trauma faced by the other injectors. Don't force anything -- find a way to get it off gently and then remember how you did it so that you can reinstall in the same manner. There's a fragile dingleberry that hangs below the PCV diaphragm cap (see posts below of it breaking) and there's also a crazy-sharp edge at the top/rear edge of the camshaft. Keep messing with the windshield cowl until you can snake the valve cover out with zero effort.
  19. Reassembly in reverse, but try not to cut the valve cover gasket on the razor sharp edges of the camshaft rear bracket. Torque the valve cover bolts to 8.5 N-m (careful -- very low torque) in a crazy cylinder head-like pattern starting with the F/R corner, R/L corner, centers, then the remainder. Fuel lines should be lubricated with "transmission oil" and torqued to 23Nm and 30Nm respectively. Thoroughly inspect them for debris prior to assembly and of course, put the fuel lines back on ASAP to lessen the chance of contamination. If installing a new valve cover don't forget to transfer all the little screw-in balls and stuff over one by one so that you get everything in the right hole. It's not entirely intuitive so do this soon, before you get all the wires and stuff in the way.
Attached Images

Last edited by vespa; 10-19-2019 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
orteeze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB F80

Did you replace your front and rear seals prior to replacing the valve cover?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep

I replaced the front seal and immediately the rear seal began making noise -- which led me to look at the valve cover.
I never did replace the rear seal, it's completely dry and silent to this day. I assume the front seal didn't need replacement either.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      11-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

Thank you very much for posting this. I replaced my VC gasket and spark plug insert gaskets a couple of weeks ago and this was very helpful. I ended up not replacing the VC itself as I was fixing an oil leak and didn't want to spend the additional $400 for preventative maintenance.

I do have some extra comments to add based on my experience:
  • I had 26 bolts instead of 24 as shown in the diagram. The additional 2 bolts are directly above #5 & #6
  • In taking the VC off, I broke a little plastic piece off the bottom of the VC and it fell down between two rocker arms. When removing the cover, it's important NOT to lift and pull forward as this is what I did to break the piece. Instead, lift and rotate the VC towards the drivers side a bit, then carefully bring it forward. This way, the plastic piece is out of the way of the valvetronic springs when the VC comes forward. I did add a pic of the inside of the cover showing the plastic piece.
  • I didn't remove the fuel rail (above the intake) when I pulled the VC, but did when I put it back on. I did this as it gave extra clearance to getting the plastic piece into the slot between the valvetronic springs. I also never removed my passenger wiper, but did remove the insert where the strut bars go through.
  • This is not that difficult a job. By far the biggest pain is getting the cover off as well as back on. It only took me about 1 hr 15 min to have everything removed and the VC free.
  • I used a 3" and 6" wobble extensions with a flex-head ratchet and did not have any problems getting to any of the VC bolts.
  • Make many rounds of tightening the bolts, barely snugging each when going around the sequence. I probably dis this in 7 or 8 steps before the first one was tight when I came back around to it.

Pics of the plastic piece I broke off as well as a pic with all off, including the spark plug inserts (and injectors).
Attached Images

Last edited by cahme; 11-04-2016 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback cahme! I hadn't noticed the bolt-count error but in looking at my pics above I see that my car also has 26 bolts. It's pretty strange the way they designed it to take 28 bolts, thought they could get away with 24, then settled on 26.

Good to know it can be done without the windshield wiper shenanigans, at least on a E90. Maybe the E92/E93 are the only models that require the cowl lift, or maybe I lifted it unnecessarily? But I found the same thing that you did -- it's really wedged in there between the fuel rail and the cowl -- and that's the reason I stressed in this writeup to just suck it up and get those things out of the way.

Were you able to get the fuel rail off without breaking those clips? I didn't have the right size crows-foot and hadn't yet decided to remove the intake manifold so I googled a pic of them to see how they latch and tried every possible combination of wiggling, sliding and pulling, only to end up breaking both of them. I wish I could afford to replace them, but luckily they still work fine. That's one of the reasons I suggest cleaning your valves first so that you can easily get the fuel rail off.

Where was your oil leak? I thought that was a N54 problem. Did you try just tightening the bolts first to attempt to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I was able to remove the clips on the fuel rail without breaking them. I remember there was a tab on the back of the inside of the clip. I can't exactly picture it, but I do still have my beauty covers off, so I should be able to get a pic tomorrow.

For my oil leak, it was coming from under the spark plug inserts (buckets). I removed the lid which exposed the injectors and could see the oil grime under. I had to remove the injectors (1 black bolt + special puller tool) and the buckets (4 bolts) and then it was clear where the leak was. If you look at my pic of engine with VC off, you will see a plug in the head between each spark plug pair. If you look at the center plug (between spark plugs 3 & 4), you will see it's black while the plugs between spark plugs 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 are silver. Well, the black is because that plugged hole is full of oil. I've added a few more pics showing the dis-assembly of the spark plug insert buckets. The first should be familiar as it's what's exposed even with the VC on. The next two are with the "lid" of the bucket removed where you can see the mess.

My VC gasket was actually fine; probably because it was changed with the VANOS recall not too long ago.

Also, as you can see, I ran with the idea of balloons to keep injectors & fuel lines clean
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 01:10 AM   #7
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting, your 2011 E90 has all these "buckets" and "lids" but my 05/2011 E92 has nothing but a flimsy scrap metal Tee holding the injectors in. It looks to me like the head is completely different in the plug/injector regions.

P.S. that plastic part that broke from your valve cover is the 2nd of 2 drains from the PCV oil separation system. The first is just a tiny hole but the 2nd for some reason has a spring loaded one-way valve inside that rectangular tube.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

Could a cracked pcv hose cause the whistle? I noticed this crack when I installed my jb4 3 days ago. Now when I have the jb4 turned on I get a whistle, but not when it's turned off?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For the record, mine is an E90 with a 5/10 build, so I have one of the early ones.

It looks like you do have the "buckets", but the top injector bracket is different. Here is what realoem shows for the VC for the two:
E92 - 5/11
E90 - 5/10
So, my translation is #8 is the bucket and #12 is the lid which are the same for both cars.

The injector bracketry are a bit different and realoem is missing some info:
E92 - 5/11
E90 - 5/10

The E90 has the top pieces (18-20) greyed out with no corresponding part numbers and the E92 has the lower pieces (11 & 12) greyed out with no part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep

Dylan, that hose carries mild vacuum when boost is high and certainly could whistle. The JB4 increases boost and therefore increases that vacuum but I'm very surprised that the correlation is strong enough to notice.

That hose always looks cracked due to the paint so be sure to verify that it's not just an illusion. It shouldn't crack on it's own so I suspect someone was messing with your intercooler or valve cover.

Your hose, like most, should have a small electrical connector indicating that it is the version "with heater" and the P/N is listed in the top post. Just break the clips off your old hose to remove. Meanwhile it's not a big deal for it to leak, it won't significantly affect crankcase pressure and although it will draw in a tiny amount of unmetered air, there are 2 more MAP sensors downstream that will figure things out.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Dylan, that hose carries mild vacuum when boost is high and certainly could whistle. The JB4 increases boost and therefore increases that vacuum but I'm very surprised that the correlation is strong enough to notice.

That hose always looks cracked due to the paint so be sure to verify that it's not just an illusion. It shouldn't crack on it's own so I suspect someone was messing with your intercooler or valve cover.

Your hose, like most, should have a small electrical connector indicating that it is the version "with heater" and the P/N is listed in the top post. Just break the clips off your old hose to remove. Meanwhile it's not a big deal for it to leak, it won't significantly affect crankcase pressure and although it will draw in a tiny amount of unmetered air, there are 2 more MAP sensors downstream that will figure things out.
Thanks for the informational response. It most definitely is cracked I can stick a flat head in it, did it to make sure it was a crack. I think I may have cracked it when I installed the jb4 because I loosened the pipe that the intake attaches to so I had room to plug in the jb4 plug thay goes right there. If that makes sense.

Ill check for a part number and replace it in hopes that it's making the noise. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
orteeze
Major
Rep

Dylan, I experienced the same issue. With JB4 installed I would experience the issues with squealing. I was FBO I slowly removed each piece individually until the only thing left was the JB4. I removed the JB4 and the noise is gone. Sometimes during slow speeds I think I can hear it but once I roll my Window down the noise is gone. Fastward to today, Im installing a new valve cover. Im sure it will take care of the issue. Thanks again to vespa for solving the mystery.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orteeze View Post
Dylan, I experienced the same issue. With JB4 installed I would experience the issues with squealing. I was FBO I slowly removed each piece individually until the only thing left was the JB4. I removed the JB4 and the noise is gone. Sometimes during slow speeds I think I can hear it but once I roll my Window down the noise is gone. Fastward to today, Im installing a new valve cover. Im sure it will take care of the issue. Thanks again to vespa for solving the mystery.
Are you doing it youself?
Also I found the part number for my piece, but im not sure how to read it. Its
Bmw 7584 128 70356728. I'm just confused and am not sure how to look it up.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep

The PCV hose P/N is 11127584128
RealOEM is a great site for finding part numbers.
BMW Part Number Price Comparison is a great program for finding the best price.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
The PCV hose P/N is 11127584128
RealOEM is a great site for finding part numbers.
BMW Part Number Price Comparison is a great program for finding the best price.
You're the man.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #16
orteeze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
Are you doing it youself?
Also I found the part number for my piece, but im not sure how to read it. Its
Bmw 7584 128 70356728. I'm just confused and am not sure how to look it up.
Thanks.
Yes, I am doing myself. It's actually really simple. I've taken my JB4 Stage 2 on and off several times so getting to the valve cover is cake. Struggled a bit disconnecting the injector connector.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #17
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am doing myself. It's actually really simple. I've taken my JB4 Stage 2 on and off several times so getting to the valve cover is cake. Struggled a bit disconnecting the injector connector.
How did the replacement go, and did the sound go away when the jb4 is active?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #18
orteeze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan484 View Post
How did the replacement go, and did the sound go away when the jb4 is active?
Thanks.
It went well, I took a few breaks working on it thru the weekend so I wasn’t overwhelmed. Injector connector was a bit tricky, but figured it out. You have to wedge a flat head between the body of the connector and latch then pull up. You definitely need an extra set of hands to get the valve cover off. After removing the strut bar seal bracket that's on the firewall, you have to bend the firewall back and maneuver the cover off just like Vespa mentioned.

I haven't installed my JB4 back on. I wanted to put my new plugs in, but with the cylinder head being cold it wasn’t breaking loose as easily as I wanted to. I’ll chime back in this weekend.
2011 BSP 335is- FOR SALE
2018 YMB M3- Current
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #19
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It went well, I took a few breaks working on it thru the weekend so I wasn’t overwhelmed. Injector connector was a bit tricky, but figured it out. You have to wedge a flat head between the body of the connector and latch then pull up. You definitely need an extra set of hands to get the valve cover off. After removing the strut bar seal bracket that's on the firewall, you have to bend the firewall back and maneuver the cover off just like Vespa mentioned.

I haven't installed my JB4 back on. I wanted to put my new plugs in, but with the cylinder head being cold it wasn’t breaking loose as easily as I wanted to. I’ll chime back in this weekend.
Sounds good, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #20
bosco335i
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i E90

Hi I recently did a valve gasket replacement on my n55 also and I put the piece back onto the valve cover gasket and the clip broke on the plastic part would you be able to let me know the part number for the plastic piece thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahme View Post
Thank you very much for posting this. I replaced my VC gasket and spark plug insert gaskets a couple of weeks ago and this was very helpful. I ended up not replacing the VC itself as I was fixing an oil leak and didn't want to spend the additional $400 for preventative maintenance.

I do have some extra comments to add based on my experience:
  • I had 26 bolts instead of 24 as shown in the diagram. The additional 2 bolts are directly above #5 & #6
  • In taking the VC off, I broke a little plastic piece off the bottom of the VC and it fell down between two rocker arms. When removing the cover, it's important NOT to lift and pull forward as this is what I did to break the piece. Instead, lift and rotate the VC towards the drivers side a bit, then carefully bring it forward. This way, the plastic piece is out of the way of the valvetronic springs when the VC comes forward. I did add a pic of the inside of the cover showing the plastic piece.
  • I didn't remove the fuel rail (above the intake) when I pulled the VC, but did when I put it back on. I did this as it gave extra clearance to getting the plastic piece into the slot between the valvetronic springs. I also never removed my passenger wiper, but did remove the insert where the strut bars go through.
  • This is not that difficult a job. By far the biggest pain is getting the cover off as well as back on. It only took me about 1 hr 15 min to have everything removed and the VC free.
  • I used a 3" and 6" wobble extensions with a flex-head ratchet and did not have any problems getting to any of the VC bolts.
  • Make many rounds of tightening the bolts, barely snugging each when going around the sequence. I probably dis this in 7 or 8 steps before the first one was tight when I came back around to it.

Pics of the plastic piece I broke off as well as a pic with all off, including the spark plug inserts (and injectors).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #21
bosco335i
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i E90

I put the plastic piece back underneath the valve cover gently and one of the clips broke off ....
what I would like to know is if this piece has a part number and if so what is the part number or is this piece really necessary and I could put the valve cover back on with out this plastic piece
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #22
Dylan484
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Have you installed the JB4 back on? Also, what other parts do I need to order other than the valve cover and gasket? The local indy place here told me I need some sort of spark plug crimps, but the dealership didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Thanks
Appreciate 0