E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear Wheel Knuckle/Hub - Are they all the same?

04-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #45
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
I just looked at the alignment and realised that's actually within spec already.. so this literally is assuming the right side isn't fluffed all over 2mm toe which a set of adjustable toe arms would more than solve.. very interesting analysis
I think the near side rear wheel from front to back is 4.69 mm out (29 minutes) Ie. half of one degree. Where the toe adjustment is located would only require moving out 2mm to bring it spot on spec. Ie move toe out 2mm would correct the wheel by 4.69mm.(+29 minutes)

The camber is actually in spec.

What size wheels and tyres are on the rear? Also what is the distance between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch lip?

Last edited by criscarp; 04-30-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #46
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscarp View Post
I think the near side rear wheel from front to back is 4.69 mm out (29 minutes) Ie. half of one degree. Where the toe adjustment is located would only require moving out 2mm to bring it spot on spec. Ie move toe out 2mm would correct the wheel by 4.69mm.(+29 minutes)

The camber is actually in spec.

What size wheels and tyres are on the rear? Also what is the distance between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch lip?
Did you know I also done another reply just before the one you quoted? Just on the off chance it has anything useful.

So, I've been thinking about what you've been saying and discussed it and theres a few things I'm thinking about.

If we look back at what you originally said about the suspension in general then

1) The rears are on D4 LCI M Sport Springs on a Pre-LCI, maybe an upgrade but has it impacted the front coils?

2) The front are on stock Pre-LCI coils, one snapped and I replaced with a used coil and quickly realised that In itself is a big no no so i always intended to have these replaced but with everything going on I forgot, looking at this 4mm outage my coils could be worn and not only that are the LCI D4 coils pushing them down.. I don't know

3) having thought about everything suspension related and you did mention Control arms on the front I remembered that the steering wheel used to shake when braking which can be a symptom of control atm wear from my knowledge and I'm fairly sure the first time I went to Chemix and had the rears done they said "the doughnut shape Bush looks worn"..

4) Rear arms and hub where used parts, initially this was to cheaply discover if either of these where the cause of the misalignment but wasnt necessarily intended as a permanent solution, just to see if the alignment went back. and after replacing them we are now out by 4mm, so maybe it was an oversight and maybe the bend has been fixed but the bushes might be causing the 4mm outage?

5) Top control arms never had the correct pre load tension, they where torqued to spec in either a dropped or slightly raised position..

Soooo.. do I take the plunge and order new front coils, a Bush puller/installer tool kit and also buy a complete set of lemforder bushes including rose bushes for the hubs? Its something I've been pondering, I also told my partner that regardless of the outcome the car would be in better condition and the front coils where never supposed to still be on their anyway as I replaced one snapped with a used one and i should ideally purchase LCI front springs to match the rear D4 coils.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:23 AM   #47
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Yes I have read your replies.

I have asked this twice before and you havnt replied that i can see. -

What is the ride height? Measured from bottom edge of rear alloy and wheel arch lip? Are both rear sides the same value?

When did you fit the rear springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #48
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:

What is the ride height? Measured from bottom edge of rear alloy and wheel arch lip? Are both rear sides the same value?

Ahh yes, I havent ignored you it's just the wheel was off and both axle stands on the rear so I couldn't do it just yet. But as for the wheels they are 255 35 18's and the rear coils where replaced...

MOT failed 25th November 2017 for snapped coil and discs, passed MOT 2nd December 2017 so I replaced to the D4 coils sometime between the fail and pass dates.

Bare with me, I'll put the wheel back on and take it off the stands and get the measurements

Also, unless it was adjusted with the broken rear coil the car got aligned a few months before the MOT failure which is strange..I was adamant it was purchased with a smaller coil because all of us used to say "bloody hello that sits nice on the back don't it " then of course when the D4's went on I thought I'm sure it was never like that, before there wasnt even a finger gap between the rear so its surprised me seeing the rear alignemnt before I replaced them

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 05-01-2019 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #49
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Right got the wheel on and back off axle stands and here's the measurements. Bare in mind my drive does have a slight incline but

Rear drivers bottom of alloy to arch 62cm
Tyre to arch 6cm

Rear passenger bottom of alloy to arch 61.8cm
Tyre to arch5 3cm

Front drivers bottom of alloy to arch 60.2cm
Tyre to arch 3.9cm

Front passenger bottom of alloy to arch 60.5cm
Tyre to arch 4cm
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #50
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Ahh yes, I havent ignored you it's just the wheel was off and both axle stands on the rear so I couldn't do it just yet. But as for the wheels they are 255 35 18's and the rear coils where replaced...

MOT failed 25th November 2017 for snapped coil and discs, passed MOT 2nd December 2017 so I replaced to the D4 coils sometime between the fail and pass dates.

Bare with me, I'll put the wheel back on and take it off the stands and get the measurements

Also, unless it was adjusted with the broken rear coil the car got aligned a few months before the MOT failure which is strange..I was adamant it was purchased with a smaller coil because all of us used to say "bloody hello that sits nice on the back don't it " then of course when the D4's went on I thought I'm sure it was never like that, before there wasnt even a finger gap between the rear so its surprised me seeing the rear alignemnt before I replaced them

This is what I have been getting at, if the original alignment figures where before you replaced the rear springs, how can you say it was in spec before you hit the curb? You can not!

If the ride height is too low then this could be why all your adjustments at at there limits.

You will have to move the car and let it settle to get the ride height.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #51
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is what I have been getting at, if the original alignment figures where before you replaced the rear springs, how can you say it was in spec before you hit the curb? You can not!

If the ride height is too low then this could be why all your adjustments at at there limits.

You will have to move the car and let it settle to get the ride height.
Yeah, I genuinely thought that alignment was done after the coil replacement because that car from purchase date always drove in a straight line with the steering wheel slightly to the left, it was only until I replaced the snapped coil that the steering went straight again :/ weird..

So what do you think? A pair of lci front springs to match rear lci d4's or back to pre LCI specs (d3 rear) and what ever front it's supposed to have?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #52
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I genuinely thought that alignment was done after the coil replacement because that car from purchase date always drove in a straight line with the steering wheel slightly to the left, it was only until I replaced the snapped coil that the steering went straight again :/ weird..

So what do you think? A pair of lci front springs to match rear lci d4's or back to pre LCI specs (d3 rear) and what ever front it's supposed to have?
I dont know anything about the springs you have fitted thats why I am asking for the ride height.

Is it lower than this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #53
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Lower than this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #54
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lower than this?
Hi Chris,

Best bet is maybe pic to pic comparison

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #55
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Judging by these pics I don't think the rear has settled? Will it need a drive having been on axle stands all night
? Back end looks like it would point me into the ground
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #56
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

I got the doctors so will reply later, that too high. Dont know how you like your ride but a set of Eibach pro springs would make it sit like mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #57
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I got the doctors so will reply later, that too high. Dont know how you like your ride but a set of Eibach pro springs would make it sit like mine.
Wow, yes I'd really like that. What springs are they exactly?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #58
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

I found some from Poland £120 for my car drops 25 / 30 but while reading that I thought, does that lowered setup not make the alignment more difficult as they usually load up a screen with the default ride height and what not?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #59
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
I found some from Poland £120 for my car drops 25 / 30 but while reading that I thought, does that lowered setup not make the alignment more difficult as they usually load up a screen with the default ride height and what not?
Your car is not at the correct ride height anyway. Its adjusted wrong.
That drop is from standard suspension ride height. Not sport ride height.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #60
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Right got the wheel on and back off axle stands and here's the measurements. Bare in mind my drive does have a slight incline but

Rear drivers bottom of alloy to arch 62cm
Tyre to arch 6cm

Rear passenger bottom of alloy to arch 61.8cm
Tyre to arch5 3cm

Front drivers bottom of alloy to arch 60.2cm
Tyre to arch 3.9cm

Front passenger bottom of alloy to arch 60.5cm
Tyre to arch 4cm
I carnt see how this can be true for the rears? Do you have different size tyres on something?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #61
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Your car is not at the correct ride height anyway. Its adjusted wrong.
That drop is from standard suspension ride height. Not sport ride height.
Crazy, so what's strange is originally it had the correct rear D3 coils which are the right ones for stock M sport, I changed the rears to D4 which are according to the seller stock LCI m sports.. but why the front is measuring standard is baffling :/

Either way, I think I set of these eibach pro springs will be a right step in the direction. I've also contacted a seller enquiring if they have lemforder bushes for every rear arm and also the rose bushes for the hub, it should work out maybe less than half the price compared to ordering the actual arms as well.

So if I go ahead with these eibach springs I'll be looking at around the 8th may which is more than enough to pop the rear up and start working on these bushes and seized nuts.

It would be amazing if this got it sorted, I would have never went down this route if you hadn't had thought everything through properly. I probably would have installed a subframe and quite possibly in the same situation and that would be absolutely dire

Could Chris save a whole heap of trouble.. we shall see soon I think
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #62
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Crazy, so what's strange is originally it had the correct rear D3 coils which are the right ones for stock M sport, I changed the rears to D4 which are according to the seller stock LCI m sports.. but why the front is measuring standard is baffling :/

Either way, I think I set of these eibach pro springs will be a right step in the direction. I've also contacted a seller enquiring if they have lemforder bushes for every rear arm and also the rose bushes for the hub, it should work out maybe less than half the price compared to ordering the actual arms as well.

So if I go ahead with these eibach springs I'll be looking at around the 8th may which is more than enough to pop the rear up and start working on these bushes and seized nuts.

It would be amazing if this got it sorted, I would have never went down this route if you hadn't had thought everything through properly. I probably would have installed a subframe and quite possibly in the same situation and that would be absolutely dire

Could Chris save a whole heap of trouble.. we shall see soon I think
I would fit new m sport bump stops as well just in case yours are knackered.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 02:34 PM   #63
theoforest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 335xi 2007

Garage List
2007 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Did you manage to fix your rear toe issue?
I read the entire post and I can’t seem to find what you did.
I also have the same problem, hit a curb and now one rear wheel is toe out. Nothing seemed bend.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 08:12 PM   #64
controlarmsmanufacturer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

31216793923 BMW 3 E90 Steering Knuckle

31216793923 BMW 3 E90 Steering Knuckle

Part No.TY-BW078

OEM:
31216793923 L