E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 pre-LCI Xenon to LCI Xenon Retrofit

05-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

E90 pre-LCI Xenon to LCI Xenon Retrofit

BMW sells a harness for pre-LCI cars (with adaptive xenon lights) listed as 'conversion, headlights xenon LCI'. I assume this modifies pre-LCI AHL harness to accomodate LCI AHL lights.

Part no. 61122149448

Does someone have a wiring diagram or install instructions for this?

Here's a photo I stole from Euroactive, who used to sell it on eBay ($150).

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 13408
Size:  261.9 KB

Last edited by yakev724; 05-24-2012 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's a thread from a guy who's done the conversion and used the harness (@ 23 euro). Haven't had time to read it all...

http://www.bmwfaq.com/f151/fotos-def...ng-e90-447830/
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

2 more threads that should help...I'll update with any success.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526378

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143927

Currently my AE, adaptive, and 3 corner LEDs don't work. Adaptive I believe due to improperly programmed adaptive modules on the headlights. E90 LCI FRM2 on the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Guerillah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' F30 335xi AW MSport Stg 2

Weird... Everything on my LCI lights work except the 3 LED's which I am in the process of trying to figure out right now. My high/low beams, angel eyes, and LED turns signals all work with no changes to the wiring. I am throwing codes but that will be coded out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Weird... Everything on my LCI lights work except the 3 LED's which I am in the process of trying to figure out right now. My high/low beams, angel eyes, and LED turns signals all work with no changes to the wiring. I am throwing codes but that will be coded out.
Guessing your adaptive don't work? My left one works opposite to how it should and right doesn't work at all. I coded out the adaptive error and bulbcheck to turn signals so dash is error-free.

Strange that your Angel Eye bulbs work. H8 bulb is different to pre-LCI and that's why I figure mine doesn't work. Also, AEs are DRL on LCI cars (I believe) so that would be nice to have as well.

I think I can see the proper wiring modification from the wiring diagrams in my Bentley manual. Will post the proper wiring once I find it and DIY once confirm working.

Pretty sure I'll need a new FRM and programming of adaptive modules though.

Last edited by yakev724; 05-24-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Guerillah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Guessing your adaptive don't work? My left one works opposite to how it should and right doesn't work at all. I coded out the adaptive error and bulbcheck to turn signals so dash is error-free.

Strange that your Angel Eye bulbs work. H8 bulb is different to pre-LCI and that's why I figure mine doesn't work. Also, AEs are DRL on LCI cars (I believe) so that would be nice to have as well.

I think I can see the proper wiring modification from the wiring diagrams in my Bentley manual. Will post the proper wiring once I find it and DIY once confirm working.

Pretty sure I'll need a new FRM and programming of adaptive modules though.
Still waiting on my adaptive modules to get here, the ebay seller sent the wrong ones to me. My coder is going to program the AHL modules so they know which one is LEFT and RIGHT, this is to make it so that the headlights turn the correct way. I also bought an FRM2 module that is going to be coded in so that the AHL will function properly and the AE as DRL. Let me know when you figure out the 3 LED's and i'll do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Still waiting on my adaptive modules to get here, the ebay seller sent the wrong ones to me. My coder is going to program the AHL modules so they know which one is LEFT and RIGHT, this is to make it so that the headlights turn the correct way. I also bought an FRM2 module that is going to be coded in so that the AHL will function properly and the AE as DRL. Let me know when you figure out the 3 LED's and i'll do the same.
Pretty much same boat. Waiting on an FRM2 off an 09.

Just thought we also need wiring modification between headlights and FRM, hopefully not!

PMd you about coder.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Guerillah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wish I had a friend with an LCI car so I could measure the voltage those 3 LED's (pin 7) get. Maybe someone on the forum could do it?!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Any updates on this? About to go from pre lci halogen to lci xenon ahl. Plan is, to get lci xenon ahl lights, wire it as if it were pre lci xenon ahl first using the official bmw guide, then using the cable above to wire it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can any one get their hands on this?

61120404040 Wiring set ALC XENON AUF ALC 1

I cannot find any info on this. This would make retrofitting AHL a breeze!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
Can any one get their hands on this?

61120404040 Wiring set ALC XENON AUF ALC 1

I cannot find any info on this. This would make retrofitting AHL a breeze!!
Got it!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Any updates on this? About to go from pre lci halogen to lci xenon ahl. Plan is, to get lci xenon ahl lights, wire it as if it were pre lci xenon ahl first using the official bmw guide, then using the cable above to wire it correctly.
I have a pre-lci and I have lci ahl xenon's also but I can't find any diy's on how to wire it. Can you send me what you have please so. I guess I should get this cable too. Where did you get yours from. I think I have seen them on ebay. So I should get the ahl modules if I am going to do this right. 2x these right: ALC modules

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yEBMW View Post
I have a pre-lci and I have lci ahl xenon's also but I can't find any diy's on how to wire it. Can you send me what you have please so. I guess I should get this cable too. Where did you get yours from. I think I have seen them on ebay. So I should get the ahl modules if I am going to do this right. 2x these right: ALC modules
Hey,

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I thought everyone knew and thus the thread stopped. I was actually not able to find the cable online (I did find the ALC cable for some other cars tho, hehe).

I simply looked at the official retrofit guide from BMW, and from the wiring diagram it's clear how to make the wires myself. I haven't made it yet, but it should be straightforward to make. And comparing the wiring diagrams, the ALC connection is exactly the same in prelci and lci, so only the xenon wiring is a bit different.

The ALC modules look correct, same as what I got. I have read though that some of the used modules cannot be reprogrammed? Not sure, I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive so can't say more on that. I'm also not exactly sure what to do to reprogram those - seems to me just coding the car to the correct VOs, and then SG_CODIEREN the new FRM, should do the trick.

I'm actually a bit baffled as to why the others have choose to go through trial and error, and tribal knowledge, instead of trying to follow the official guides. I just don't see a post here that clearly lists what to do

Right now, the last mystery left, which carlosalbertogui is helping me sort out, is the prelci xenon to lci xenon retrofit cable, for which there are no official instructions (that I can find). Carlos said that the cable looks like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosalbertogui
two pins X13420 left*
color of the cables
color blue / black (BL/SW) and the other grey/yellow* (GR/GE)

two pins X13421 right*
color of the cables
color green / black (GN/SW) and the other grey/violet (GR/VI)

in the other end all the four cables to connect to footwell module
dont now where
Comparing the wiring diagrams of prelci xenon vs lci xenon, and looking at the cable colors, I wasn't able to get anywhere. But he seems to have it figured out. Will update if I know more.

Last edited by dylim; 03-14-2013 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey,

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I thought everyone knew and thus the thread stopped. I was actually not able to find the cable online (I did find the ALC cable for some other cars tho, @@).

I simply looked at the official retrofit guide from BMW, and from the wiring diagram it's clear how to make the wires myself. I haven't made it yet, but it should be straightforward to make. And comparing the wiring diagrams, the ALC connection is exactly the same in prelci and lci, so only the xenon wiring is a bit different.

The ALC modules look correct, same as what I got. I have read though that some of the used modules cannot be reprogrammed? Not sure, I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive so can't say more on that. I'm also not exactly sure what to do to reprogram those - seems to me just coding the car to the correct VOs, and then SG_CODIEREN the new FRM, should do the trick.

I'm actually a bit baffled as to why the others have choose to go through trial and error, and tribal knowledge, instead of trying to follow the official guides. I just don't see a post here that clearly lists what to do

Right now, the last mystery left, which carlosalbertogui is helping me sort out, is the prelci xenon to lci xenon retrofit cable, for which there are no official instructions (that I can find). Carlos said that the cable looks like this:

Comparing the wiring diagrams of prelci xenon vs lci xenon, and looking at the cable colors, I wasn't able to get anywhere. But he seems to have it figured out. Will update if I know more.
Yeah please do cause I will need the help. I have seen the wiring harness on ebay for bmw retrofits and I think its OEM you may want to take a look at that cable to see if that is the one you may need. I have everything I need except for the retrofit cable and the alc modules. But I don't have adaptive functions now so I don't know if it will work like it should for me. I mainly bought the modules to test and to cover the connectors where the alc's go. I don't want that electrical connection left open cause it may cause damage to the inner lights.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yEBMW View Post
Yeah please do cause I will need the help. I have seen the wiring harness on ebay for bmw retrofits and I think its OEM you may want to take a look at that cable to see if that is the one you may need. I have everything I need except for the retrofit cable and the alc modules. But I don't have adaptive functions now so I don't know if it will work like it should for me. I mainly bought the modules to test and to cover the connectors where the alc's go. I don't want that electrical connection left open cause it may cause damage to the inner lights.
Still trying to figure out whether the cable is actually used or not...

As far as adaptive goes, the wiring is the same for prelci vs lci, and therefore has nothing to do with the retrofit cable. So, nothing to worry regarding adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok so let me get this straight. You have xenons already right? I have halogens so I think I wll need a retrofit cable if they have it to get the ahl working. Sorry if you already answered this. When you said "As far as adaptive goes, the wiring is the same for prelci vs lci" I didn't know if you were thinking that I had xenons already.

They sell the cable from the above seller on ebay again. I sent him an email asking for a wiring diagram.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
?

Quote:
Still trying to figure out whether the cable is actually used or not...

As far as adaptive goes, the wiring is the same for prelci vs lci, and therefore has nothing to do with the retrofit cable. So, nothing to worry regarding adaptive.
My last question was for you dylim sorry!

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't have xenons yet, I have prelci halogens right now, looking to convert to lci ahl xenons. I got almost all the parts now. Who knows, I might actually sell my car first and list the xenon parts for sale

Let me make this clearer.

First, the wire that the OP listed, 61122149448, is not for AHL. It's apparently for converting from prelci xenon to lci xenon, but exactly how to connect it is what I'm trying to figure out now. Best guess now is it has to do with the shutter and the 3LED side markers.

Second, the wire that I was talking about, 61120404040, is indeed for the AHL, and is the same for prelci vs lci. I cannot find this wire online and intend to make my own. The official retrofit guide shows how to wire this - you need to get the pins from the dealer and wire it up. I'll let you know when I get the wires and pins, I not exactly sure which ones so I ordered all of them.

Third, in the most recent discussions, I was talking about the first cable again, the prelci xenon to lci xenon cable

If only you were closer to the bay area, then we can work on this together
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
carlosalbertogui
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw E91 facelifted by me

hi all

you can buy the cable on bmw dealer will cost 23 eur more or less

Conversion cable , headlights xenon LCI 2008 ( after 10/2007 is possible to do the retrofit) on bmw dealer

buy headlights , buy rear lights and buy cables and FRM3 and coding

For vehicles with
Xenon Light
or
Adaptive Headlights
S522A=Yes

S524A=Yes
01 WIRING HEAD LIGHT VORNE 1 03/2007 61122149448

Last edited by carlosalbertogui; 03-14-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Pins part numbers

Quote:
I don't have xenons yet, I have prelci halogens right now, looking to convert to lci ahl xenons. I got almost all the parts now. Who knows, I might actually sell my car first and list the xenon parts for sale

Let me make this clearer.

First, the wire that the OP listed, 61122149448, is not for AHL. It's apparently for converting from prelci xenon to lci xenon, but exactly how to connect it is what I'm trying to figure out now. Best guess now is it has to do with the shutter and the 3LED side markers.

Second, the wire that I was talking about, 61120404040, is indeed for the AHL, and is the same for prelci vs lci. I cannot find this wire online and intend to make my own. The official retrofit guide shows how to wire this - you need to get the pins from the dealer and wire it up. I'll let you know when I get the wires and pins, I not exactly sure which ones so I ordered all of them.

Third, in the most recent discussions, I was talking about the first cable again, the prelci xenon to lci xenon cable

If only you were closer to the bay area, then we can work on this together
Thanks for clearing that up! I am near the bay area...the Tampa bay area...is that what you meant? Or Cali? lol... anyway can you let me know the part numbers to the pins you ordered from the dealer so I can get them too? I hope you don't sell the car after buying all the parts for this conversion but if its time for an upgrade then its time. I get that. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
BennyB
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

So, most of this info seems to be about the functionality of the headlight conversion, but if someone already has pre lci adaptive xenon headlights will the lci xenon adaptive headlight be a direct replacement or will it need some body/bracket modification to fit?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
So, most of this info seems to be about the functionality of the headlight conversion, but if someone already has pre lci adaptive xenon headlights will the lci xenon adaptive headlight be a direct replacement or will it need some body/bracket modification to fit?
Direct replacement, I've done this.

The only difference you'll have is the 3 corner LEDs on the LCI lights won't work (which most prefer anyway). To get them to work you'll need to insert a pin in to position 7 (iirc) of the headlight connectors and splice it into somewhere with the proper voltage (which I don't know), or route it all the way into the harness that goes to the FRM, which is probably unnecessary, but that's how its done on LCIs.

You'll need at least an FRM2 (which you may already have, depending on production date), and will need to reprogram it so the turn signals aren't bright af and don't flicker (pwm options if coding w/ NCS). If the adaptive doesn't work right away, you'll need to program the SLC modules on the headlights, I think this can be done in INPA (calibration).
Appreciate 0