E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d E91 Battery

12-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Edition
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

335d E91 Battery

Hi,

What are recommendations in regards to replacement battery’s? I’m having a few issues with my current battery, on a cold morning I get the dash info going funny (lines instead of info.) and a few times where it’s been totally dead. I’ve got a battery conditioner but it doesn’t seem to hold its charge very well anymore.

I’m still under bmw extended warranty, do I need to get a bmw one? Presume it’s AGM and realise it needs recoding. Annoyingly this looks like a £300 + treat.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

BMW do not make batteries so a reputable brand with similar specification to that stated for your car will be fine and a lot less than £300.

But first I would read the small print of your "extended warrantee" in the unlikely event that it covers the battery.

Whatever you get will need to be coded to the car though so that it is correctly charged in service.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

Classified Forum - BMW Battery price please

Original in my 2011 E92 LCI 335D is - , (mine is now 7 years old - still seems OK),

BATTERY – VARTA - BMW - AGM – 12v 90AH 900A
S:61 21 6 919 342 and AW 61 21 6 924 022

Reply from BMWCotswoldMini - in Classifieds - post 3199

Hi,

The price for the above would be £197.69 inc VAT and delivery to mainland UK.

This price is valid for 7 days from today.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...05159&page=146

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 12-30-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:22 AM   #4
Edition
Private
Rep

The warranty doesn’t cover batteries, I just wanted to ensure I wouldn’t invalidate my warranty by fitting none bmw. Now that I know I can get a bmw one I’ll just go with that.

Perfect I’ll check that’s my part number end get it ordered!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:20 AM   #5
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edition View Post
The warranty doesn’t cover batteries, I just wanted to ensure I wouldn’t invalidate my warranty by fitting none bmw. Now that I know I can get a bmw one I’ll just go with that.

Perfect I’ll check that’s my part number end get it ordered!
(it is advisable) - You will need to "register" the new battery with your car's system, (the ECU/DME), so that "it" knows that the car has a new battery so that the ECU can "tell" the alternator how to charge the (new) battery - the system is a "smart" system and as the battery gets older the profile of how it will be charged will change over time.
Most scanning tools, with specific BMW info, will allow you to do this - I have read that BMW charge a fortune, (£100), for this 5 minute job - but your local garage may be able to do this at a fraction of this, or you could buy yourself a scanner which will allow you to read most of the info that the ECU throws out, including the ability to see any fault codes that the vehicle may decide to worry you with.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
Edition
Private
Rep

I’ve just take the battery cover off to ensure I got the right bmw part number...... it’s got a Platinum premium number 19 battery in it!

I’m thinking this battery isn’t a agm type! Now I’m wanting to put the proper battery on the car I.e a bmw one but now wondering if the coding has been changed to a wet type... is there any way of checking at home?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe that battery wasn't programmed to the car and that has helped it go duff?

As Bluewater says you need access to some kind of communication tool to read what the car is set up for.

INPA is my favourite as it is "proper BMW" but it has the disadvantage of needing a laptop to run but there are a plethora of hand-held units and smartphone apps with varying degrees of functionality and cost available. This forum mentions many if you search through.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

i have a foxwell nt510 which can do battery registry,,never tried it like..maybe someine near you can do it for some sheckles
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve just take the battery cover off to ensure I got the right bmw part number...... it’s got a Platinum premium number 19 battery in it!

I’m thinking this battery isn’t a agm type! Now I’m wanting to put the proper battery on the car I.e a bmw one but now wondering if the coding has been changed to a wet type... is there any way of checking at home?

Thanks in advance
I'd certainly get an AGM BMW/VARTA marked or VARTA Battery - it may cost a few £'s more - I have a few cars and BMW Bikes and have always found getting a good battery to be worthwhile - plus checking it regularly and taking care of it.

lots of BMW electrical parts are supplied by other manufacturers, but as far as I am aware they will always have the BMW mark or name as well as the OEM's name, if they have been fitted by BMW

VARTA have always supplied OEM Batteries to BMW (and Mercedes) - there will be a BMW ref as well as the VARTA name on the Battery that was supplied originally - mine has lasted over 7 years, it is the original Battery and has yet to be replaced.

what year is your car? - has it had the Battery Cable recall, (I'm still waiting to have mine done - believe it or not my local dealers have a waiting list until next May)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
Edition
Private
Rep

Yes it’s had the recall.

I’m going to get a bmw replacement, I presumed that what was on it already! Mines a 2010. I presume the none AGM battery won’t have harmed anything??
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes it’s had the recall.

I’m going to get a bmw replacement, I presumed that what was on it already! Mines a 2010. I presume the none AGM battery won’t have harmed anything??
If you change from one type of 12v Battery to another, i.e Lead Acid to AGM, you certainly need to "register" the new Battery as the charging "map" will be different.

Different opinions on the web - some say you ALWAYS need to register a new Battery
Some say that you only need to register a new Battery if you change from one type to another, or you replace with a Battery of a different specification, even if the same type.

I'd go for the first, (BMW electronics are complicated and expensive, so always err on the cautious side) - but lots of info and video's on the web - always interesting to hear what others have to say - have a look at a few if you are changing the Battery yourself - which is a simple job, but as usual BMW will always complicate matters - so follow the correct procedure if you change yourself.

no problem changing from one type to another - just that the AGM is more expensive and for that you get a longer life and maybe the need for less "charging" by the Alternator

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 12-31-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 01:29 AM   #12
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

yeh the glass mat batteries are expensive,,id go for at least the same cranking amp of the battery,,and id also register it,,all the info ive read is that the alternator will charge battery at its last state and whatever size/amps it has,,so if the battery was weak,then it would of been charged accordingly,,now if you stick a new battery on and the alternator charges the battery as a weak one,then it will over charge it and ruin it,,will still last a while but who knows how long
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:19 AM   #13
Edition
Private
Rep

I’m trying to find out what bmw part number mine would have had originally.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 06:06 AM   #14
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
RealOEM should tell you the BMW part number. Try this link for starters but you can enter your chassis number to get a more definitive result.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showpa...diagId=61_1986

Every time you change batteries the new one needs to be registered so that the car can adjust its charging cycle accordingly.

Last edited by therealdb1; 01-01-2019 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #15
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I presumed that what was on it already! Mines a 2010. I presume the none AGM battery won’t have harmed anything??
Provided it has been correctly programmed on the car the type does not matter what appears to kill electronics is a battery that goes dead flat. All sorts of issues then raise their heads.

It does not sound like you have got to that stage yet so now will be a good time to replace.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #16
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
Has it had the Battery Cable recall, (I'm still waiting to have mine done - believe it or not my local dealers have a waiting list until next May)
I believe it. My 'stealer' took 7 months to get around to doing mine!

I wonder what the BMW liability is if something disasterous happens during the waiting time? You have tried to get the safety issue attended to but have been put off by the garage acting on behalf of the manufacturer.

Let's hope none of us ever have to find out!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ask BMWCotswoldMini in the classified section - see my quote from them above

give him your VIN and reg number and he will come back to you with the "BMW" Battery that you need and at a discounted price - they are a BMW Dealers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #18
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
Quote:
ask BMWCotswoldMini in the classified section - see my quote from them above

give him your VIN and reg number and he will come back to you with the "BMW" Battery that you need and at a discounted price - they are a BMW Dealers
Yes bmw can see what size was originally fitted. Cotswold weren't the cheapest bmw dealer for me though, was £165ish for largest 90 agm bmw battery a month or so ago when I bought one. If your car was originally a 70 or 80 they cost a little less.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided1 View Post
Cotswold weren't the cheapest bmw dealer for me though
Don't forget Cotswold generally quote including VAT and postage unless you tell them that you will collect.

Carriage on a 90 Ah battery will be an arm and a leg so will bump up their price accordingly.

It is worth getting a cost from them and then checking if your local dealer can match or better it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #20
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
Quote:
Cotswold weren't the cheapest bmw dealer for me though
Don't forget Cotswold generally quote including VAT and postage unless you tell them that you will collect.

Carriage on a 90 Ah battery will be an arm and a leg so will bump up their price accordingly.

It is worth getting a cost from them and then checking if your local dealer can match or better it.
Of course, was a direct like for like comparison (inc postage), my local dealer are useless and told me price was well under what they sell to trade at, rarely even bother asking them to quote. Cotswold are good and I've bought there before but they couldn't match the other bmw dealer on a 90 agm battery
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:21 AM   #21
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
my local dealer are useless and told me price was well under what they sell to trade at
Perhaps you should get them to put their quotes in writing and then if they honour the quote you are quids in but if they say it was a mistake let them keep the item and buy elsewhere.

You could possibly get some cheap parts thanks to their incompetence!
Appreciate 0