E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > UPDATED - Engine Swap - 335D Crankshaft Main Bearings and Bolts Question

03-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #177
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep423 View Post
Car is back in my garage!

Driving it home it sounded like it was running smoother and quieter than it ever has but that might seem like it considering I have been driving small 4 cylinders for 2 months.

The shop owner OJ at Fluid MotorUnion said they are confident with the result. However, they would not offer an explicit warranty, only verbally saying he would work with me in case something happens.

He had to polish the crank while it was in the car in order to get the the bearing on within the required tolerance. I correct way to perform this work I was told was to pull the engine. So that along with a used cap is the reason he gave for not offering a warranty.

As I said, the car sounds fantastic but I am concerned about the long term results. At this point I am just relieved to have the car back. I really like the car even though it has given me so many problems and headaches!

On a side notes, I had removed collision on my insurance while it was in the shop and tonight I went to add it back on and fucking progressive is telling me I have to wait 5 days for the coverage to kick in. WTF Progressive!! Iv been a customer of theirs for both vehicles and home for nearly 10 years. After a 40 minute phone call I was finally able to talk to someone who agreed to reinstate my coverage immediately.

Fuck!
Looks like its been a month since you got your car back. How's it running? Any issues or has it been trouble free?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #178
Pep423
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Quote:
Car is back in my garage!

Driving it home it sounded like it was running smoother and quieter than it ever has but that might seem like it considering I have been driving small 4 cylinders for 2 months.

The shop owner OJ at Fluid MotorUnion said they are confident with the result. However, they would not offer an explicit warranty, only verbally saying he would work with me in case something happens.

He had to polish the crank while it was in the car in order to get the the bearing on within the required tolerance. I correct way to perform this work I was told was to pull the engine. So that along with a used cap is the reason he gave for not offering a warranty.

As I said, the car sounds fantastic but I am concerned about the long term results. At this point I am just relieved to have the car back. I really like the car even though it has given me so many problems and headaches!

On a side notes, I had removed collision on my insurance while it was in the shop and tonight I went to add it back on and fucking progressive is telling me I have to wait 5 days for the coverage to kick in. WTF Progressive!! Iv been a customer of theirs for both vehicles and home for nearly 10 years. After a 40 minute phone call I was finally able to talk to someone who agreed to reinstate my coverage immediately.

Fuck!
Looks like its been a month since you got your car back. How's it running? Any issues or has it been trouble free?
All good still but I have been really easy on it. Still probably haven't been past 3500 revs.

I have also been letting the car warm up for at least 5 mins in the morning before leaving for work.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #179
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

I used can of lubro moly mos2 in my last oil change because I read how it helped the v8 m3 guys with their factory bearing issues. Mos2 is not the same as the moly in the oil which works at high temps. From what I read it helps at startup.

Mos 2 is pretty cheap, their ceratec stuff is overrated I think.

Soi maybe you should use it?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #180
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
All good still but I have been really easy on it. Still probably haven't been past 3500 revs.

I have also been letting the car warm up for at least 5 mins in the morning before leaving for work.
Very promising information, thanks for the update. Have you done your first oil change yet? If so, did you send it out for an analysis?

Also, did you end up using the bearing end cap I sent you or did you find another one somewhere else? If I remember correctly, I think you said the shop was able to polish it down so that it fit. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #181
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
I used can of lubro moly mos2 in my last oil change because I read how it helped the v8 m3 guys with their factory bearing issues. Mos2 is not the same as the moly in the oil which works at high temps. From what I read it helps at startup.

Mos 2 is pretty cheap, their ceratec stuff is overrated I think.

Soi maybe you should use it?
Thanks for the heads up on the MOS2. I'm a bit paranoid about developing bearing issues again so I'll definitely give it a shot. I'll probably do a before and after oil analysis as well out curiosity. Its probably the closest thing that will confirm if the additive is working but I dont expect the results to show much proof. You wouldnt by any chance have a link or two to the discussion the V8 M3 guys had on the topic, would you?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #182
robnitro
Captain
Rep

Sorry it's the inline 6 m3 engine (my favorite though!)
https://thebuildjournal.com/products...-rod-bearings/

And some sound testing pointing to cold start benefits, as moly in oils that include it works only at hot temperatures(chemically bonds with heat).
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=3185420
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #183
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Sorry it's the inline 6 m3 engine (my favorite though!)
https://thebuildjournal.com/products...-rod-bearings/

And some sound testing pointing to cold start benefits, as moly in oils that include it works only at hot temperatures(chemically bonds with heat).
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=3185420
Thanks for the link, it made for an interesting read. Personally, I dont have elevated copper or lead levels but will definitely do an oil analysis our of curiosity.

Btw, it appears the Ceratec product is an upgrade from MOS2. The end of the article has this update:

Quote:
Update 11/10/2016: We talked to Liqui Moly representatives and they recommend their newest product Ceratec which has updated technology.
and this anectode:

Quote:
Oscar (TR4CKM3) has been using Liqui Moly Ceratec in 30k Miles intervals with good results. He says that Ceratec last longer between oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #184
robnitro
Captain
Rep

I mentioned ceratec in the other post, haven't seen any real results since it's relatively new.

For the price, mos2 is better even if done every oil change. I'd guess that with dpf better use ceratec if it's supposed to not burn off etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #185
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I mentioned ceratec in the other post, haven't seen any real results since it's relatively new.

For the price, mos2 is better even if done every oil change. I'd guess that with dpf better use ceratec if it's supposed to not burn off etc...
To each his own I suppose. It seems Liqui Molly themselves say Ceratec is better so I think I'll use that instead of the MOS2.

Now that I think about it, maybe I'll run MOS2 at my next oil change and try Ceratec in the following and compare the results.

Either way, thanks for the heads up on using these products to prolong bearing life.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #186
Pep423
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Quote:

Very promising information, thanks for the update. Have you done your first oil change yet? If so, did you send it out for an analysis?

Also, did you end up using the bearing end cap I sent you or did you find another one somewhere else? If I remember correctly, I think you said the shop was able to polish it down so that it fit. Is that correct?
No oil change yet, been about 1000 miles. I'll wait a while before an oil change but for sure I will send it off for analysis.

I did use your cap. I don't believe the shop had to polish the cap, just the crank.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #187
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

So far, the new engine is running fine after about 10k miles.

However, I noticed something a little disconcerting. I replaced the stock drain plug with a magnetic one and found a lot of fine metal on the magnet after the first oil change. At the second oil change, I still had fine metal on the magnet albeit much less than before. I should note that these were not big pieces though. When I went to clean off the magnet the metal bits essentially created a silver smear on the paper towel.

I sent the oil out for analysis both times and the results didn't show anything out of the norm. I'm hoping that the next oil change produces even fewer particles on the magnet.

Any thoughts or experience with what I'm seeing here?

I've uploaded a few photos to provide a visual of what I described. The first three photos (white gloves) are from the second oil change with less metal on the magnet. The last two photos (blue gloves) are from the first oil change, which had what appeared to be more metal on the magnet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0