E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 330D - Crankshaft Pulley (deteriorating?) and Belt Tension Loose? [VIDEO]

04-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 330D - Crankshaft Pulley (deteriorating?) and Belt Tension Loose? [VIDEO]

Hi All,

Getting ready to take it to Chemix tomorrow to hopefully see if the new hub and arms have solved the bend preventing a proper adjustment but after doing some checks I noticed that it looked like the belt was wobbling slightly, so I stopped the engine and noticed the belt seems very slack and I also check the crankshaft pulley as theres a squeek that I always get when I shut the engine off (this was before when tension on the belt was solid) and I cant quite make out whether the crankshaft pulley is wearing on the outside or not?

https://youtu.be/wbfYDTLhLRc

And then the tensioner looks like it's on a bouncy castle.. looking at the first video you can see I can pull the belt with one hand and move the tensioner belt which I'm sure you shouldn't be able to do

https://youtu.be/rsBVaI3NUqM

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 04-28-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

I am sure I can clearly see cracks in the rubber of the vibration damper and your tensioner is on its wayout as the belt is starting to ride of it.

New vibration damper and tensioner required. Turning out to be quite expensive for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscarp View Post
I am sure I can clearly see cracks in the rubber of the vibration damper and your tensioner is on its wayout as the belt is starting to ride of it.

New vibration damper and tensioner required. Turning out to be quite expensive for you.
you're not wrong :O it's a good job I don't have to go to the garage to have it done, I think anytime I've asked them for a quote (just out of curiousity) it's well in the £100's but cost me next to nothing usually. When I purchased the car I had one receipt in the service book and ironically it was one for the crankshaft pulley and tensioner.. I mean really of all the things it just so happened to be those two.

also, does this mean 60nm plus one turn of 60 degrees then another 60 degrees? (M57TU)

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...damper/5zHAukc
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
you're not wrong :O it's a good job I don't have to go to the garage to have it done, I think anytime I've asked them for a quote (just out of curiousity) it's well in the £100's but cost me next to nothing usually. When I purchased the car I had one receipt in the service book and ironically it was one for the crankshaft pulley and tensioner.. I mean really of all the things it just so happened to be those two.

also, does this mean 60nm plus one turn of 60 degrees then another 60 degrees? (M57TU)

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...damper/5zHAukc
40nm +60deg +60deg yes torque to 40nm on the 4 bolts then 60deg on all 4 bolts then 60deg on all 4 bolts. Not sure if you need new bolts.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
lloydie
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Any bolt that requires torque + angle to tighten is a stretch bolt and should be replaced if its removed!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Huskla
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

I think I have a similar issue, do you hear a skrr skrr skrr sound on startup? It goes after a good 30mins of the car being started it being driven a bit.

It comes from near the belt so I'm assuming its a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #7
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskla View Post
I think I have a similar issue, do you hear a skrr skrr skrr sound on startup? It goes after a good 30mins of the car being started it being driven a bit.

It comes from near the belt so I'm assuming its a similar issue?
To be honest, I have the crankshaft pulley a clean and a wipe over and when I took another picture it actually looked in good condition and it turns out the crankshaft pulley was a good brand as well and was replaced in 2017 so I'm not sure what to think now, ideally I could do with removing the belts but the power steering belt needs a tool to remove and put back on so I can't give it a proper check. For me I'm just going to replace the belt tensioner and see how I get on. And no, i dont hear any sound on startup to be honest, have you got a video of yours?
Appreciate 0