E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 Prefacelift 2007 Interesting happend

05-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
Merahan
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i (2.5L)

E91 Prefacelift 2007 Interesting happend

Hey guys, wanna ask you about something, 2 weeks ago the number plate light error comed up, i went out to the back to check it, the right lamp was flashnig fast, the left one seemed okay, after a car restart both was okay ,and no error comed up. Until now , while i was driving i had take off to take my jacket out of the back, and when i closed the trunk door both lamps went off and the error light comed up.

I tried to restart car, even slam (slightly) the trunk again and again, nothing changed. I think the lights are led lights not the yellow ones.

Do you think i should try to replace the bubles or something other happend?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Check the wiring harness at the hinge line. It probably has wires that are beginning to fray. You'll have to peel the rubber boot back to check.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
Merahan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Check the wiring harness at the hinge line. It probably has wires that are beginning to fray. You'll have to peel the rubber boot back to check.
So are you 100% that this is not a bulb error ?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merahan View Post
So are you 100% that this is not a bulb error ?
No, I'm not sure. Try checking on realoem.com what lights your car has LED vs. incandescent. If it is an LED light, it could be as simple as replacing it. Worn wiring at the trunk/hatch hingeline is a common problem with old cars, which is why I suggested it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

If one light is down, or one wire is damaged, bith sides will be affected. Fix the damaged light and all will be well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
Merahan
Rep

Went out to take picture of it, this is what its like, im an IT guy, so i dont really know, it is LED , or "normal yellow" ? the light of it was white when it was working thats all i know.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Merahan
Rep

View post on imgur.com
here is the image i toke
Appreciate 1
tlow982162.50
      05-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
Merahan
Rep

Also if its led, can i put a normal light into the slot instead of the wrong LED one ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

As "F30" states, the E91 tends to develop broken wires at the tailgate hinge plane, inside the black gaiters or covers of the individual wires. EVERYTHING electrical on the tailgate is dependent upon wiring inside those gaiters, including rear Wiper/Washer, Reversing Lamps, inner tail lamps, license lamps, the "Aerial Diversity" that is related to receiving Remote Key signal to unlock & radio reception, and Tailgate Latch which is electrically-operated.

There could be a break in the Gray/Brown 12V+ power supply wire, or in the Brown ground wire, as shown in the following circuit diagram for the License Plate Lights at far-right of schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-light/i7o2pTr

I would suggest checking for BOTH 12V+ voltage at pin #2, and for continuity to CHASSIS ground (NOT tailgate metal) at pin #1 of BOTH light connectors, X709 & X710 per this Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e91-325i-tou/RqhAbp0

Without actual electrical tests with multimeter (and test of bulb by applying 12V+ & ground to the pins) one can only guess. The "Bulb Fail Monitor" tests for current flow in the system so ANY open circuit, including bulb filament, broken/disconnected ground wire, or break in 12V+ wire will cause bulb failure warning.

It can ONLY detect an open circuit somewhere between Pin #49 of FRM Connector X14261 and Chassis/Battery Ground, and CANNOT locate the fault definitively. It SHOULD be thought of/ described as a "Bulb CIRCUIT Monitor."

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50