E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > You won't believe this...

02-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #23
chenb72
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

I totally agree that prices for stuff are much higher here, but as a small business owner I must say (to those who would listen), people only see the money they charge but never stop to think about the cost of running a shop. It is not uncommon to pay $100k+ for a little shop in Perth CBD so for those who earns over $100K+ salary per year (how many of you?) I have to MAKE (profit not turn-over) $100K per year just to be almost even (not forgetting the utilities charge, wages and business loan repayments)...... ooooh that's before paying myself for working 7 days a week including 12hr Fridays during late night shopping. I am there all day everyday so in the off chance someone might decide to come in, may or may not buy anything but that doesn't stop them from whinging about how expensive everything are, they can get things much cheaper online..... meanwhile not ashamed to try things on so they can buy the same thing online.
Our average salary is about $78K/year while other 1st world countries such as America is about $50k/year. People who complain about how things are 20-50% more expensive here never complain how salaries are 20-50% higher when they get their pay cheque.
Cost of living & standard of living are directly proportional so unless you can work for an Australian company in a third world country, getting paid A$ and spend it over there, I guess you just have to put up with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
dpark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenb72 View Post
I totally agree that prices for stuff are much higher here, but as a small business owner I must say (to those who would listen), people only see the money they charge but never stop to think about the cost of running a shop. It is not uncommon to pay $100k+ for a little shop in Perth CBD so for those who earns over $100K+ salary per year (how many of you?) I have to MAKE (profit not turn-over) $100K per year just to be almost even (not forgetting the utilities charge, wages and business loan repayments)...... ooooh that's before paying myself for working 7 days a week including 12hr Fridays during late night shopping. I am there all day everyday so in the off chance someone might decide to come in, may or may not buy anything but that doesn't stop them from whinging about how expensive everything are, they can get things much cheaper online..... meanwhile not ashamed to try things on so they can buy the same thing online.
Our average salary is about $78K/year while other 1st world countries such as America is about $50k/year. People who complain about how things are 20-50% more expensive here never complain how salaries are 20-50% higher when they get their pay cheque.
Cost of living & standard of living are directly proportional so unless you can work for an Australian company in a third world country, getting paid A$ and spend it over there, I guess you just have to put up with it.
Whilst I do try to support local business where possible, I think to ask consumers to consider the situation of the store owner (especially one from a flamboyant prestige car dealership) during the purchase decision phase is a bit unrealistic.

Being a business owner yourself, I'm sure you understand basic marketing 101, ie; 4 P's. If you can get an identical product for a substantially lower price, why wouldn't you?

Unfortunately for most of us, money is an issue and we can't be so blasé about our spending. Housing for instance is typically 10x annual salary in Australia. It's basic consumer behaviour to search for financially beneficial alternatives and the information age has brought us alternatives previously inaccessible.

I understand you have to make a living. For myself, earning under the average salary according to your analysis, I have to make my dollar stretch as far as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

I don't think it is fair to compare a small business owner to BMW Australia.
Parts in this country are typically double the price than what we can import them ourselves for, and this usually includes postage. I'm quite sure that the overseas shop or dealer is still making money on these parts. BMW Australia are
just being greedy and are trying to stop us doing this by banning O/S dealers from sending parts to other countries. There will always be a way, they just put more barriers in our way to make it difficult. It is bad enough that we have to pay more than double for the cars, but I can see why they are doing this, however they should at least sell us the parts for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
insane79
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC99G View Post
It is bad enough that we have to pay more than double for the cars, but I can see why they are doing this, however they should at least sell us the parts for a reasonable price.
Talk about it, in India we pay 200k$ yess almost a quarter million for a M5
Our govt here charges 140% import duties on these cars. Suxx big time for car enthusiast
car parts & performance parts are double of what usa & most european countries pay, i guess india & aussi land have this shit duties in common..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Can’t be doing too bad if your profile is correct that you drive a F30 328i M everything...good for a small shop owner on $78K a year...did you buy it on line by any chance and import it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenb72 View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Can’t be doing too bad if your profile is correct that you drive a F30 328i M everything...good for a small shop owner on $78K a year...did you buy it on line by any chance and import it?

I was thinking here is a case of the boy crying wolf!

I do feel sorry for shops selling stuff that needs time to fit, like the case of the ski shop spending 20 minutes with a prospect fitting boots, only to have people say 'mmm let me think about it' and go online and save a hundred. BUT instead of complaining and pissing off real customers they simply put in a policy of $50 fitting charge, refundable upon purchase. I have respect for these chaps but none whatsoever for those that simply say 'gotta charge gst on all os purchases' cause those fools have no idea and should be run outa town.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Update

Hi

Well I have received the part and it is exactly what I needed, it arrived in 6 days and is in perfect condition. I really don't understand how the Stealer can justify a mark-up of some 450% for a part which comes from the exact same factory in Germany that they would have got it from. Moreover, I got it in 6 days and the Stealer said it would take 3 weeks!!

I would like to support Australian industry and jobs but paying a premium like this is just ripping customers off. There are some other bits I need and I will seek a quote from the Stealer but I imagine I will be buying it on-line and saving a small fortune in the process.

Too bad we can’t buy the car to start with on-line!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0