E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Contractors....

12-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #23
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Do it, if you're good you'll never be out of work.

I jumped off the employee bandwagon 11 years ago at 32. Never looked back, never had a day out of work since.

Only plan for 10 months work a year, that covers holidays etc. Although the OP planning for a week sick a year seems like he's a bit of a skiver . I've not had a day off sick in 20 years.

Don't worry about "job security", that's just a con that companies blag you with. Any employee only ever has their notice period to rely on, and any company will shaft their staff if they need to.

As for so called benefits, IMO take the money as a contractor and sort yourself out, then you get what YOU want, not what some muppet in personnel, sorry HR, thinks you need (or more like what they get a good back hander on). Sort your own SIPP, car, Bupa, etc with plenty to spare.

My top rates have gone up by 400% in 10 years, just quoted 36 days work (admittedly special short term work) to a German engineering client for £64,000, and got the P/O yesterday. Work that out.

The biggest barrier to good rates are theiving rob-dog agencies. They do nothing and add no value, they just take a lot of money out of the system. I often get offered work from a client direct, for say £80 an hour, then agencies will phone with the same job for £50 an hour, creaming £300 a day off someone for bugger all.

If you can, only work direct with clients, but that can be tricky.

Last edited by doughboy; 12-22-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #24
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Do it, if you're good you'll never be out of work.

I jumped off the employee bandwagon 11 years ago at 32. Never looked back, never had a day out of work since.
Sounds fab, I've met a few people who just do contract work in healthcare. The last guy I met took one look at my old 335i and asked me why I couldn't afford anything better .

He was getting paid £100/hr+ for a 48hr weekend call out from home shift, and had a very 'efficient' tax claim system so saw most of that. I get paid the equivalent of £22/hr for doing the same shift (so about £12/hr after tax)....But alas I have 'job security'
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #25
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Sounds fab, I've met a few people who just do contract work in healthcare. The last guy I met took one look at my old 335i and asked me why I couldn't afford anything better .

He was getting paid £100/hr+ for a 48hr weekend call out from home shift, and had a very 'efficient' tax claim system so saw most of that. I get paid the equivalent of £22/hr for doing the same shift (so about £12/hr after tax)....But alas I have 'job security'
I'm in a similar situation to you then. It does make you think.

The clock is ticking. Time is wasting away. Definately something to look into further.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #26
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
I'm in a similar situation to you then. It does make you think.

The clock is ticking. Time is wasting away. Definately something to look into further.
Do it while you are young. Even if you fail you will bounce back stronger.

I'm actually thinking I should have gone contracting now, rather than for a new full time job. Maybe in 2 years time then. For me though I left my current job due to skills attrition as they don't do bugger all! I picked a new one where I will be worked hard and able to stay current with technology. This is my bridge to better things and maybe in a couple of years time £600/pd+ contracts
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #27
av_guy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335D MSport Space Grey

I used to be a contractor on hourly rates back in my mid 20's as an Oracle developer and no great responsibilities.

Having a young family and responsibilities, wife being an accountant, I just resigned in November 2015, waived notice period and got a nice little sweetener to see me through to March 2016. Landed three opportunities and chose one to start January 2016.

Rates have definitely gone up (~£750 to ~£1200 p/d) and with setting up my own Limited company, there remain many benefits. The obvious financial and then the social to spend time with family, friends, etc.

I say go for it and you won't look back (provided the industry is demanding your skills). Best of luck
E90 LCI 335D MSport|Space Grey|Sunroof|Visibility|F&R Sensors|Leccy Fold Ext Dim Int & Ext Mirrors|Media Pack Pro|Voice & USB|DAB & DVB|HK L7|Black Leather|Leccy Seats|Lumbar & Heat|Type 313 19" Performance Pack Wheels|Trackstar|Protect & Care|Service Inclusive
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #28
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_guy View Post
I used to be a contractor on hourly rates back in my mid 20's as an Oracle developer and no great responsibilities.

Having a young family and responsibilities, wife being an accountant, I just resigned in November 2015, waived notice period and got a nice little sweetener to see me through to March 2016. Landed three opportunities and chose one to start January 2016.

Rates have definitely gone up (~£750 to ~£1200 p/d) and with setting up my own Limited company, there remain many benefits. The obvious financial and then the social to spend time with family, friends, etc.

I say go for it and you won't look back (provided the industry is demanding your skills). Best of luck
Good for you mate!
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #29
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Do it while you are young. Even if you fail you will bounce back stronger.

I'm actually thinking I should have gone contracting now, rather than for a new full time job. Maybe in 2 years time then. For me though I left my current job due to skills attrition as they don't do bugger all! I picked a new one where I will be worked hard and able to stay current with technology. This is my bridge to better things and maybe in a couple of years time £600/pd+ contracts
Appreciate the advice mate. I'm going to do some searching over the next few weeks and see what's out there.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0