E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > One Last Oil Cooler Thread

04-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #23
Thor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (on order)

Spazdoc asked the following in another thread but there was no answer (the thread was only supposed to be about proof, not questions):

Will the sedan have the oil cooler in the same location and the venting on the passneger wheel well? Thanks.

I have the same question.

I have read several of these threads and have not come across an answer for this either so please don't tell me to go .

All the pics I have seen for the right front wheel seem to be for the coupe.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #24
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous335 View Post
Here is my 2007 BMW 335i automatic with the sports package going into limp mode on a warm day:

What was the situation? Tracking, normal driving?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #25
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's an automatic, so it is only good for grocery getting...
Alright, well thanks for the info. You cross posted this picture 7 times without any indication of what events led to it. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #26
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Driving on a public highway if that helps you.

As for cross-posting, no thanks are necessary. Perhaps you can post some pics of your car overheating as well. And if your car doesn't overheat, then you don't need an oil cooler.
He means we need info on your - 1) RPM's that led to this overheating (were you pushing it?) 2) time spent driving 3) driving style (twisties, high-speed low rpms, low-speed high rpms?)

Pretty self explanatory if you ask me..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #27
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

That helps. Did you have the car taken to a dealership? If so, what was the result? Did they just say "oh, well it overheated, so sad", or did they find some other issue with the car? Sorry for the questions, you're the first guy to have overheated while not tracking his car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #28
Thor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (on order)

FYI - Went to my dealer today to order some parts for my soon-to-come 335i.

While there I took a quick look at all the 335i Sedans with Sport Package I could find to look for the oil cooler (and one or two Coupes as well). I looked at about 5 Steps and one manual. The manual was the only one with oil cooler.

I don't know the production dates of any of the cars I saw.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #29
De90man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Anonymous...

I have a 10/06 build Step Sedan with no oil cooler (5000 odo). I recently drove from LA (sea level obviously) to Julian (4000 ft elevation) where the roads on the way to and beyond this little mountain town are a drivers dream (many bikers carve the canyon roads, oh and try their many yummy pies).

It's a very aggressive climb.Then I dropped 2000-3000 feet into Borrego Springs (it's all desert actually). It was like 75 out. Back and forth all day we went. Up the mountain, down the mountain. I redlined the car countless times...for hours. On steep grades, high-g turns, lots of engine braking...the whole shebang.

The oil temp NEVER went over 270.

I got out for a photo op, turned of the car off and it was so quiet up there that I could hear my car pinging and tinging like a s.o.b...it sounded like a cooling meteorite, the metal bits were suprisingly vocal...so it was it was properly flogged. The hood was very warm too. Then I got right back on the road and did 90 mph all the way home.

If your car overheated on a 15-45 minute trip, then there must be some other problem. I'm not saying that the car can't overheat. But they do hot weather (road) test these cars in places more severe than where we live.

And overall, I think that edmunds article set off a wave of what-ifs, fears, and frankly, blows to our car-egos ('you mean I'm not invincible in this thing'). That doesn't mean BMW didn't make a mistake, but let's wait and see until summer what happens (I know where I'm going again).

Until then, enjoy your cars..they will make you 100% happy for way we drive 99.5% of the time.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #30
De90man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Anon, I was just sharing my experience as you are shared yours. And since we both live in Cali, have autos, and share the same roads and weather, my post was relevant. And I thought you'd want to hear something positive about your purchase.

You are right, I would be mad if my car overheated under such a light load as yours did. My point was, that may be it was not an oil issue but some other malfunction or failure that sometimes plague new engines. Any which way, its trip to the service department, which is unfortunate.

I sincerely hope that your car is sorted out with the least stress to you man.

...and Silv, you are right, my car probably won't overheat when its snowing out. You get a silver star for that nugget.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #31
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Honestly, I still think even 270 is unneccesarily hot, considering that the post March 335's will never go above 240..

Your engine will have increased wear, decreased fuel economy, and decreased life and decreased performance when compared to the ones with the oil cooler over the long term.

To me, this is not acceptable, BMW understands the need for an oil cooler, otherwise they would have opted to not include them in ANY 335i's..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #32
Rover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1smo View Post
picus has a tendency to talk out of his a$# so take what he says with a grain of salt. He also thought that the manual transmission runs so much hotter than the automatics that BMW decided to put *2* coolers in the auto and *1* in the manual.

I also think the extra oil cooler run continuously based on the fact it takes forever for my car to warm up. If there are documentations that say otherwise, please post it.
Hey, Hey..hardly called for. And not very accurate either!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #33
texasturner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GMC Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Hey, Hey..hardly called for. And not very accurate either!!
Actually a manual transmission produces far less heat than an automatic transmission. That is why you see transmission coolers on alot of autos....